How to get rid of those little nasty red ants that bite

4MyEgo

I am a firm believer of live and let live, been bitten a few times by these outside critters, however it's come to the stage that they have built huge nests all up one side of the house making it impossible to walk along there without being bitten savagely.

Would like them gone, the usual spray can does it for a little, but they are way underground, tried running the hose for a while as well, but they just reappear later.

Anyone successfully eradicated these guys, short of using a flame thrower.

Edited by 4MyEgo

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Tell your Thai neighbors. 

Many love to eat kai-mod-daeng and they will remove it for you - and eat the eggs.

Your thinking of the bigger ones usually in the trees, these are the ground ones, and when they bite, they are worse than the larger ones and leave you itching for days on as the bite area swells like a pimple.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Many love to eat kai-mod-daeng and they will remove it for you - and eat the eggs.

Wrong breed of ant, Kai -mot- dang,comes from the big red ants ...........the one that are plaguing us at this time.

• Like 1

If the nest is not too close to your house, children or anything of value, maybe you could try my solution. After 100 bites and many overrated products, I did the following.

I had some paint thinners handy so I poured a little down the tunnels they build. I lit it after a few minutes while it penetrated and it burned for maybe 10 minutes. It must have reached them all as no sign of them since. 

I guess any flamable spirit would work.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yeah. But ask yourselves a question. Do they collect the eggs in trees, or are they digging for them? After that, you go back and read the OP again ???? 

12 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Get the Chaindrite white powder sold at Makro

Don't know if this is the same thing but you can buy it in most village shops. Use it very sparingly as said, a few crystals or minute amount of powder will wipe out the whole nest. do it again if they return or eggs have hatched after a few days/week and then they will be gone for a few months at the very least

ant.jpg

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Get the Chaindrite white powder sold at Makro where they sell the mosquito repellents. Put a dusting on and around the nest (a little goes a long way). If my memory is correct it contains pyrethrin, the same used for head lice.

Thx will give it a go.

6 hours ago, Dene16 said:

Don't know if this is the same thing but you can buy it in most village shops. Use it very sparingly as said, a few crystals or minute amount of powder will wipe out the whole nest. do it again if they return or eggs have hatched after a few days/week and then they will be gone for a few months at the very least

ant.jpg

Have sent the wife out to see what they have, we did try bleaching the nests as well, but looks like that just made them breed ????

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I use the Chaindrite spray to kill the little Bs.

The wife sprinkles dog flea powder on the nests which seems to work and is cheaper than the toxic chemical.

If the other 2 recommendations fail, will try this one, thx.

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Have sent the wife out to see what they have, we did try bleaching the nests as well, but looks like that just made them breed ????

there are different versions of it in little packets some maybe more potent. lately found some in a small bottle, more powder but just as good

As i am out of the country for 8 months of the year they build up but, It is one of the first things i do when i arrive(kill all the nests around the side of the house} sometimes can take a little longer than a few weeks but eventually there are no ants inside the house. You will find that as the toxin diminishes the other hatching ants (presumably) will remove all the dead ants and put them in a pile, (if they survive long enough). As someone has said, as they walk over it they normally only get about a foot before they are dead so you can  put it on their path or at the entrance to the nest.

The big red ants, due to a branch from a tree touching the house had made a nest in the eaves and making trails al over the side of the house.

Gf laughed and stated that it would not harm them, Came back an hour later to find the side of the house still covered in ants but on closer inspection found them all to be dead.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chaindrite powder & spray are the way to go, when we first rented this house it was overrun with Cockroaches & ants because it had been empty for so long, not seen a cockroach in months, if I do see one I spray the area with Chaindrite & a liberal dosing of said powder, soon sorts the buggers out.

I use Borax mixed with sugar, 1 part borax to three parts sugar. Then a little water to form a paste. put it in a small plastic container with a lid, and a few holes punched in around he sides. They take it back to the nest where it kills the queen and larvae.

Really cheap on Lazada at about 75 Baht a kilo bag.

• 3 weeks later...

Down on the farm here, we sprinkle lime where we don't want them to be. Not the lime you use with gin or vodka or papaya salad. Doesn't kill them, or the earth just repels. Don't want to needlessly kill off a sustainable protein source, nor the fun in collecting them in season.