Getting full-sized bike from Asok to Happy & Healthy Bike Lane?

Rex Nebula

I'll be in Bangkok for about a week before heading to Cambodia for a two week bike trip (after which I'll be coming back to Thailand but in the Chiang Maii area).  As such, I'll have my bicycle with me and was hoping to get a ride or two in at the Happy & Healthy Bike Lane around the airport.  My current research leads me to believe the BRT will only accept full-size bikes from 6-6:30am during week days, and the MRT doesn't accept bikes at all.  What are my options to get my full-size bike to the bike lane besides riding the 25-30km each way, paying the cost for a full sized van taxi to bring me there, or somehow befriending a local with a pickup truck?

39 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Why on earth do you make things so complicated? Just use basic social skills, talk with a taxi or tuk tuk, and you on the way.

Well, having a bicycle makes things complicated.  Not sure what kind of tuk tuk will fit a bicycle.  A regular taxi also won't, which is why I mentioned the van taxi's in my original post.  Those are expensive since it's basically an airport run so would likely be close to 1800 rount-trip.  Excuse me for seeing if anyone else had done something similar and had ideas I hadn't thought of.  If a van taxi is the best option, then I'll just rent a bike at the bike lane since it would be cheaper at 900 for 4 hours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the feeling that people say 'bike' when they are talking 'bicycle'. This happens most (or exclusively) with English or american speaking people, as most countries have better words for bicycles and bikes.
So, in order to be clear(er), a BIKE is a motorbike and a BICYCLE is just a bicycle.
This should stop BS articles like the above!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

I have the feeling that people say 'bike' when they are talking 'bicycle'. This happens most (or exclusively) with English or american speaking people, as most countries have better words for bicycles and bikes.
So, in order to be clear(er), a BIKE is a motorbike and a BICYCLE is just a bicycle.
This should stop BS articles like the above!

Yes, I was confused.  I thought he wanted to get his Harley Davidson Road King to the Happy & Healthy Bike Lane.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, CLW said:

You need to get off one station before the terminus at BKK 

Still about 6k from the cycle track but I suppose that is not too far for pedalling if the cycle path is 24k.

More important will be how to get from the cycle track back to downtown.

have you considered benjakitti park, which is very close to asoke area.  it might not provide the same quality bike ride in terms of distance/speeds but would be alot more convenient.  i haven't been there since they remodeled it but i know it it is much larger than it use to be.  

40 minutes ago, buick said:

have you considered benjakitti park, which is very close to asoke area.  it might not provide the same quality bike ride in terms of distance/speeds but would be alot more convenient.  i haven't been there since they remodeled it but i know it it is much larger than it use to be.  

I used to ride around Benjakitti park when I lived near here...  

Cycling around there at speed is a little dangerous... there are always very slow ppl riding without attention or people wondering into the cycle-lane.

Thus: If going to a moderate pace I’d say benjakitti park is a good option - but if ‘going for it’ on a road-bike it’s not the best choice and the bike lane out by the airport is a good option. 

Note: Bike lane at Airport - you need your passport to register. 

Grab have an SUV option, that may be ok to take you to the bike lane (you’ll pay a little more for the Grab XL)  - A GRAB SUB is about 600 baht (town to Skylane) where as a standard ‘Just GRAB’ is 400 baht. 

Bolt have XL - which is about 650 Baht. 

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I used to ride around Benjakitti park when I lived near here...  

Cycling around there at speed is a little dangerous... there are always very slow ppl riding without attention or people wondering into the cycle-lane.

Not only wandering people but some very stoopid ones considering there is a wide walking/running track alonside the dedicated cycling track.....I once saw a farang couple nonchalantly pushing their child in a push chair up the cycle track. Maybe because the track had more trees shading it? But some really fast training cyclists used to use that track. Also a bit dangerous if you came off your bike (bicycle) as the track has a concrete raised boundary 'step' along parts of the narrow track.

On 9/10/2022 at 12:59 AM, Rex Nebula said:

Well, having a bicycle makes things complicated.  Not sure what kind of tuk tuk will fit a bicycle.  A regular taxi also won't, which is why I mentioned the van taxi's in my original post.  Those are expensive since it's basically an airport run so would likely be close to 1800 rount-trip.  Excuse me for seeing if anyone else had done something similar and had ideas I hadn't thought of.  If a van taxi is the best option, then I'll just rent a bike at the bike lane since it would be cheaper at 900 for 4 hours.

From Asok you can make your way to 10 and get across the wooden bridge in morning to the park (now expanded with tobacco monopoly gone) and do that 20x - or take the sky bridge from that park to Lumpini (portaging the bike in places is required, I used to do that ride back and forth to work everyday) and you can tool around both parks and the sky bridge in between....that way you can avoid getting to swampy (no tree cover so it gets hot on clear days). You can also go down to Tha Rua behind the big market at 21 (Asok rd) and Rama IV and take a long tail o boat ferry across the river with your bike and ride around prapadaeng - none of these options give you the wide open long stretch runs like the airport but they are interesting and fun rides with lots of scenery and distractions, so depends what you want. And by the way, virtually any Tuk Tuk will strap your bike to the back and take you out there but bike is exposed to some risk. Have fun.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You can't take bikes on the airport link trains, just folding bikes 

Only way is to either ride there or book at taxi.

A good route is down the side of the highway from Rama 9 road, that follows the airport link line. Then near Soi Wat Lan Boon station you can go through the houses to Lad Krabang Road - then the cycle lane is not far from there. 

You can get on to that side road by the highway from Phattanakarn soi 53

Edited by PremiumLane
  • Like 1