Bent Brake Levers on Handlebar

Daffy D

Many bikes when they fall over bend the brake/clutch lever on the handlebars.

While this doesn't usually affect the operation of the levers it does look a bit unsightly, so was wondering if it's possible to bend back the levers without breaking?

I guess in theory if bent one way it should be able to bend them back into the original position or not :unsure:

Anyone tried it, did it work?

• 5 weeks later...

If you will attempt to bend the lever, remove it from the lever bracket and bend it in a vice. Also, to minimumise the potential of bent levers for small tip overs, have the lever bracket only just nipped up on the handlebar so that it will not move in normal operation, but will move with any force more than normal operations.

Some bike lever brackets have a metal dowel stopping them from rotating, though. Check it out for yourself.

On 9/10/2022 at 8:47 AM, Daffy D said:

I guess in theory if bent one way it should be able to bend them back into the original position or not

Most likely but the structural integrity will not be 100% the same. If you fold a paper back and forth you will be able to tear it on that line easily. Same with metal. It all depends on how much they were bent, the material etc. Hard to give a general anwser. Sometimes will be fine and sometimes not. With break levers I err on the side of caution and replace them. Cheap enough.

On 9/10/2022 at 9:00 AM, CharlieH said:

Change the levers for the ones that are hinged/folding cheap and nothing gets bent !

I dunno, the handlebar itself will have a higher chance of bending. I'd rather have a bent lever that took the impact instead. Easier and cheaper to replace normally.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, non of which answered the actual question, still that's to be expected here  :saai: 

Anyways the problem is solved. 

Master cylinder on the right handlebar needed to be fixed and they replaced it with a complete unit including brake lever but in black.

Wife thought it looked odd so had the lever on the left, the bent one also replaced with a black one so problem solved, and wife happy. :whistling:   

On 10/13/2022 at 10:18 AM, In the jungle said:

Last time I replaced a brake lever it cost less than 100 Baht.  Genuine part from a Honda dealer.

I would not mess about trying to straighten a lever.

Very true, but sometimes I like to know stuff just for the sake of knowing   :smile:

On 10/13/2022 at 9:51 AM, VocalNeal said:

The existing lever(s) is/are bent so already damaged. So as the 2nd Engineer used to say. "Fix it or f u c k it"

Thereby lies the dilemma.

If I try to straighten the handle and it snaps I'll have an unsafe bike to go and buy a replacement.

If I buy a new handle before trying to fix the bent one I won't have to bother with trying to straighten it.   

Life eh!

:crazy:  :blink:

Maybe it can be straightened.

Maybe it will break.

9 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

If I try to straighten the handle and it snaps I'll have an unsafe bike to go and buy a replacement.

Not really. Near zero risk.

11 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

If I buy a new handle before trying to fix the bent one I won't have to bother with trying to straighten it.   

Bingo.!

• Like 1