Should I use a bong with my weed vaporizer?

funlovinkid

I recently ordered the Xmax V3 Pro "dry herb" vaporizer online, which is due to arrive shortly.  I'm very interested in its performance, but one of my concerns is breathing the hot vapor.  These devices will heat the product to over 400 degrees F, and even though they don't produce smoke, the hot vapor might not be so healthy, especially on a regular basis.  Do most people use these things attached to a bong, for that reason?

I don't, I use the vaporizer straight-up.

But you can connect a dry-herb vaporizer to a bong. The long travel path should cool the vapor considerably, but not sure it would be more or less "healthy"? I think 14 mm is the proper adapeter size?

https://www.planetofthevapes.com/products/xmax-v3-pro-glass-waterpipe-adaptor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7N3uXw7RNU

I use the lowest possible setting, or in the case of a fully adjustable unit, 190 C (374 F). I don't experience any heat or harshness-related issues.

Obviously a bong is not quite as portable as the unit itself.

Just now, MaiDong said:

The vapour probably won't be hot.

Dry-herb vaporizers do get quite hot, and the vapor travel path is very short.

I don't find the vapor to be hot though. The last hit, especially if you bump the temp, can be a tad harsh, but not cough-inducing.

I find I need to let them cool a bit between sessions, and re-loading.

I actually use three separate units for a single session.

1 minute ago, bamnutsak said:

Dry-herb vaporizers do get quite hot, and the vapor travel path is very short.

I don't find the vapor to be hot though. The last hit, especially if you bump the temp, can be a tad harsh, but not cough-inducing.

I find I need to let them cool a bit between sessions, and re-loading.

I actually use three separate units for a single session.

Cheaper units may end up hot, my last experience was with a Pax 3 and it was not hot at all, but then I don't use high power and I don't need clouds.

Yes, the Pax 3 is a top-of-the-line portable dry-herb vaporizer - would that we could buy one here, as I would. I will buy one on my next trip back to the U.S. And it uses conduction.

And it has the chamber on the opposite end from the mouth-piece, so a long vapor path.

That said, the OP doesn't have a Pax 3.

This will be my first experience with a weed vaporizer, so I'll experiment and see how it goes.  I did order it with the 14mm glass bong adapter, so it should be easy to pop into a bong if that's what I decide to do.  From what I've read (below), the chosen temperature can be very important in determining the effect or taste, or harshness.  It was literally 50 years ago when I toked my first doobie, and of course, at the time, we had no idea about all of this biochemistry or snobby, subtle flavor distinctions - which I now find extremely interesting and simultaneously hilarious.  Technology has finally caught up to what we already knew 50 years ago.  Wine snobs: you got nothin' on us potheads!  ????

https://www.herbonaut.com/best-temperature-to-vape-weed/

• Like 1

I bought a Pax II in the USA five months ago. I dropped it and it will not charge. It is totally unserviceable. That said, it was really good, not hot at all and the battery life was quite good. I could get several sessions from one charge at level 2, no need to go higher. I didn't like the bespoke charger and would have preferred a standard USB, as this meant having to take an extra cable when traveling. There is no way of attaching the PAX II to a bong, no standard 10mm attachment or anything like that.

19 hours ago, funlovinkid said:

This will be my first experience with a weed vaporizer, so I'll experiment and see how it goes.  I did order it with the 14mm glass bong adapter, so it should be easy to pop into a bong if that's what I decide to do.  From what I've read (below), the chosen temperature can be very important in determining the effect or taste, or harshness.  It was literally 50 years ago when I toked my first doobie, and of course, at the time, we had no idea about all of this biochemistry or snobby, subtle flavor distinctions - which I now find extremely interesting and simultaneously hilarious.  Technology has finally caught up to what we already knew 50 years ago.  Wine snobs: you got nothin' on us potheads!  ????

https://www.herbonaut.com/best-temperature-to-vape-weed/

Screenshot_20220903-193224_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, funlovinkid said:

This will be my first experience with a weed vaporizer

Use quality cannabis

Use a grinder

Watch some YT videos on proper vaporizer use.

Most people use the wrong technique, and end up with a less than ideal experience.

• Thanks 1

I got the  boundless terra V3 which comes with a water pipe attachment but unless your huffing all day it's fine. It has a very small chamber. The unit itself gets pretty hot not the vapor you hardly notice it at all.

Which is why I used it twice and threw it in a drawer far too unsatisfying for me I went straight back to my trusty, tried and true bong. Lol. 

Not sure about your unit my can alter to all sorts of fancy temperatures etc and people will fluff on about terpenes and thc levels and flavour which for some may be true. 

Me? I just love smashing bongs lol. Good luck with your vape.

Tried it last night for the first time...and wow!  Super convenient - once it's loaded, just grab it whenever in the mood.  I was completely baked for 6 hours, haha.  The only problem was that I ran out of Lay's potato chips, and I was too lazy to get up and go to 7-11 for more.  Next time, I'll stock up.  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

By the way, I forgot to mention that the temperature of the vapor seems OK without a bong, which was the entire reason for posting this in the first place.  Although the vapor did cause some lung irritation (and some coughing), I didn't get the feeling it was due to the heat.  I'll probably try it with a bong sometime anyway and see if the experience is any different.

36 minutes ago, funlovinkid said:

By the way, I forgot to mention that the temperature of the vapor seems OK without a bong, which was the entire reason for posting this in the first place.  Although the vapor did cause some lung irritation (and some coughing), I didn't get the feeling it was due to the heat.  I'll probably try it with a bong sometime anyway and see if the experience is any different.

Have a glass full of ice and a bottle of water or whatever you enjoy drinking fresh and sip it while you vape, problem solved ????

I have a 2 vapcaps, one mighty and one volcano hybrid recently acquired, I fly like snoop dog and I love Thailand ????????❤️

• Love It 1

On 9/10/2022 at 6:34 PM, funlovinkid said:

These devices will heat the product to over 400 degrees F

You will probably not want to go that high.  If I put the bud through a grinder it vapes pretty well at around 310F; I'm sure there will be others who say I'm wrong, either too low or too high, but you make your own choice.  If you don't grind it up well it will require more time or higher temperature, and you can have fun experimenting.  Adding a longer mouthpiece to the gadget will cool the fumes somewhat.

I vaped for a few years, then my gadget broke so I started hitting the bong again while waiting for a replacement and was reminded how much I like it.  That 'clubbed in the forehead' sensation the bong gives is beyond words (for me).

In my own experience I'll season a new vape gadget by taking off the cap and letting it burn at max temp, and keep doing it until it no longer gives off plastic fumes.  Going by lots of posts on the net, it seems there are a lot people buy a vape, try it right out of the box and when they taste the plastic they'll put it away never to be used again, and then put up reviews decrying the gadget as junk. I've been through a few gadgets and found it a good idea to do this every time.

I just bought one of these a few months ago  https://www.fasttech.com/search?ANIX Gemini

I don't like spending a lot on these things because I just might drop it on the floor (like my first vape I bought 10 years ago and paid US$150 for) or something in the electronics will die. 

4 hours ago, bendejo said:

You will probably not want to go that high.  If I put the bud through a grinder it vapes pretty well at around 310F; I'm sure there will be others who say I'm wrong, either too low or too high, but you make your own choice.  If you don't grind it up well it will require more time or higher temperature, and you can have fun experimenting.  Adding a longer mouthpiece to the gadget will cool the fumes somewhat.

I vaped for a few years, then my gadget broke so I started hitting the bong again while waiting for a replacement and was reminded how much I like it.  That 'clubbed in the forehead' sensation the bong gives is beyond words (for me).

In my own experience I'll season a new vape gadget by taking off the cap and letting it burn at max temp, and keep doing it until it no longer gives off plastic fumes.  Going by lots of posts on the net, it seems there are a lot people buy a vape, try it right out of the box and when they taste the plastic they'll put it away never to be used again, and then put up reviews decrying the gadget as junk. I've been through a few gadgets and found it a good idea to do this every time.

I just bought one of these a few months ago  https://www.fasttech.com/search?ANIX Gemini

I don't like spending a lot on these things because I just might drop it on the floor (like my first vape I bought 10 years ago and paid US$150 for) or something in the electronics will die. 

Thanks for this.  Based on some of the stuff I've found (some of which is included above), the temperature dictates which (and how many of the) compounds in the weed actually vaporize, and therefore become available to inhale.  I chose a temperature of 385F to hopefully include as many of these as possible, while excluding some of the worst ones.  So I suppose a lower temperature (like the 310F you mention above) might be easier on the throat, but could lead to a different experience.  Of course, the experience will be entirely subjective, and we each have to experiment, as you say - which I will.  ????

Good thought on burning in a new vaporizer with a high temp before using it, I hadn't thought of this.

And as you say: "I don't like spending a lot on these things because I just might drop it on the floor"... reminds me so much of some of the Cheech & Chong skits we listened to in the '70's that had us rolling on the floor  ????  I'm reminded of all the shirts I used to have back then, with holes in the front from burning seeds falling unnoticed out of a doobie while slouching back with my friends.  No longer a problem!  haha

7 hours ago, funlovinkid said:

Although the vapor did cause some lung irritation (and some coughing)

You may be using the wrong technique.

Can you describe the vapor which you exhale? On a scale of 0 to 10, how visible is it?

Can you smell or tasted the vapor? If so, how does it compare with the smell of the freshy ground cannabis?

How easy is the draw? Do you labor at all to get a draw?

Can you describe the cannabis you smoked? Which strain? Did you use a grinder? Soft, pliable, fluffy, color=????

Can you describe the material after you vaped it? What did it look like? Color, compared to what went in.

Use quality cannabis.

Grind it.

Experiment with lower temps

Draw straight into your lungs counting to 5 or 10, and then exhale immediately.

Try not to cover the air inlet with your hand/fingers.

I've never coughed, or felt the urge to, using various dry-herb vaporizers. I've never had to "season" one. Never experienced plastic fumes. Maybe that applies to certain models and brands?

Now real smoking (same product), or a vape pod, I do cough sometimes. I have to be very careful with a vape pod. It's 90% THC so the same technique but very small draws.

On 9/14/2022 at 7:14 AM, bamnutsak said:

You may be using the wrong technique.

Can you describe the vapor which you exhale? On a scale of 0 to 10, how visible is it?

Can you smell or tasted the vapor? If so, how does it compare with the smell of the freshy ground cannabis?

How easy is the draw? Do you labor at all to get a draw?

Can you describe the cannabis you smoked? Which strain? Did you use a grinder? Soft, pliable, fluffy, color=????

Can you describe the material after you vaped it? What did it look like? Color, compared to what went in.

Use quality cannabis.

Grind it.

Experiment with lower temps

Draw straight into your lungs counting to 5 or 10, and then exhale immediately.

Try not to cover the air inlet with your hand/fingers.

I've never coughed, or felt the urge to, using various dry-herb vaporizers. I've never had to "season" one. Never experienced plastic fumes. Maybe that applies to certain models and brands?

Now real smoking (same product), or a vape pod, I do cough sometimes. I have to be very careful with a vape pod. It's 90% THC so the same technique but very small draws.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

Well, without going into huge detail, yes, the exhaled vapor is visible, but barely, and it dissipates immediately.  Yeah, the vapor does have pretty good taste and smell, similar to the raw flower.  No problem with the draw.

But I don't smoke, anything.  So it's possible that my lungs just aren't conditioned to breathing in anything foreign.  And it sounds like you do smoke (something) now and then - or maybe regularly - so maybe the difference is that your lungs have already been conditioned.  I remember back in the day that my lungs didn't much object to a variety of smoked items, because I was always smoking something, haha