Royal Thai Navy rescues foreigners after yacht breaks down in Krabi

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

Krabi – The Royal Thai Navy rescued several foreigners after their yacht broke down in the middle of the sea in Krabi.

Yesterday, (September 15th), The Royal Thai Navy in Krabi was notified of the broken yacht near the Lan Ta Noi Island ten meters away from the shore.

The Royal Thai Navy went out to search for the yacht which took about one hour to find the vessel from the location they sent.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/09/16/royal-thai-navy-rescues-foreigners-after-yacht-breaks-down-in-krabi/

The-Phuket-Express-Logo-Small-300x121.png
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2022-09-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

What does "broken" mean? It looks like the ship is a little bow down, is there a leak in the hull?

Getting that close without grounding is a surprise but getting that close without taking measures is just poor seamanship. Set an anchor or set sails but the ship should never be left to the sea.

This happened to me while sailing off Oahu in Hawaii. It was only a simple 20-ft sailboat but my tiller snapped right in the middle of the channel leading into Pearl Harbor.  Ours was a rental boat from the Hickam Air Force Base marina and not equipped with an anchor nor a spare tiller handle and seamanship/sail management could not prevent us from being pushed inexorably onto the rocks surrounding Honolulu Airpiort’s Reef Runway. It also didn’t help that a Navy submarine surfaced less than 100 meters from us as it was returning into the harbor, forcing me to steer hard to starboard to avoid a collision.  The tiller then snapped and left us at the mercy of the wind and tides. Fortunately I contacted our harbormaster at the marina who sent out a powerboat to tow us in….scant minutes away from impacting the reef.  So yes, under certain conditions even a proficient sailor can be washed ashore.  

2 hours ago, Fore Man said:

It also didn’t help that a Navy submarine surfaced less than 100 meters from us as it was returning into the harbor, forcing me to steer hard to starboard to avoid a collision.  The tiller then snapped and left us at the mercy of the wind and tides

Sail has priority over power doesn't it ?

I hope you made a strong complaint to the Navy and demanded compensation for you broken tiller  :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

Unless they were sinking or drifting onto rocks then without more info I assume from the article that the engine as stopped working which is not an emergency. 

Especially when you have an emergency spare outboard on the back of the yacht?