Common bank accts..can one partner empty the acct with legal impunity?

9 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Actually the answer is 'yes and no'.

If the account has 2 names, then it depends how you set it up.

If the account is set up with either/or signature to operate then answer is yes.

If the account is set up requiring both signatures, then the answer is no.

These scenarios would usually apply to Fixed deposits.

Is there some code or such in the bank book that indicates which type of acct it is? 

8 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

Is there some code or such in the bank book that indicates which type of acct it is? 

For Bangkok Bank;;;

You set it up under either scenario (as I wrote before for a 'Deposit acct').

Both names are entered on the front page of the passbook.

The type of scenario (is actually recorded on your computor profile/record with the bank, for that particular account).

When you wish to make some sort of transaction with that account (and show the passbook), the bank will require one/or two signatures dependant on how the account was opened, and what is recorded on your file.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Not really.

1.  Married or unmarried.

2. Divorced and separated. 

3. A/c Joint names. 

4. A/c Name only. 

5. ATM cards issued.

1.Unmarried 

2. None 

3.Joint names 

4.As above 

5.Yes (I hold it)

Edited by VinnieK

3 minutes ago, blackcab said:

How many signatures are required to operate the account?

Any 1 signature from either account holder or both signatures jointly?

No idea how many signatures...never used it 

I have to go in person and do a small withdrawal I reckon 

I just wanted to avoid the hassle.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

So I take it with that A/c at that bank she was able to take the book to the bank and withdraw money without you. 

Nothing happened...I hold the book anyway 

The original question is purely hypothetical 

1 minute ago, VinnieK said:

OK ???? I was going say my advice would be not to open a joint bank account with any lady without being married. 

If you have the book and the ATM card OK but with that bank and a/c if she has the details of the account and she can withdraw money without you being there then she could maybe tell them she has lost the book and get another and make a withdrawal. 

1 minute ago, blackcab said:

If the account only requires any one signature from the two account holders then all the other person has to do is file a police report, then take the report to the bank and get a replacement book issued. Once they have the new book they can immediately empty the account in one withdrawal. There is nothing the bank or the police would do in this situation as the named account holder withdrew the funds.

That would be my concern for OP as suggested in my other post.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, VinnieK said:

If you knew the answer already, and are holding the bank book anyway as a safeguard, why are you starting a thread on it? Nothing better to do?

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Shared bank account, someone can drain it easy enough, but other party could take legal action, i.e. husband and wife account but money brought in before marriage

I suspect 'shared account' actually means 'Joint Savings account, either party can sign'. If that's true then surely either party can legally 'drain' the account.

I somehow doubt account holders can expect the bank to be aware of what funds were in the account before marriage and expect the bank to monitor such funds. Further, if the 2 parties started a Joint Savings Account, either party can sign before marriage then surely the 'either party can sign' aspect starts on the day the account was started and date of marriage / funds in the account beforr marriage is beside the point.

(NOTE: 'Joint Savings account, either party can sign' can be husband and wife, brothers, sisters, father and son etc., bf and gf, and can be friends/business partners not related in any way.)

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If you knew the answer already, and are holding the bank book anyway as a safeguard, why are you starting a thread on it? Nothing better to do?

I didn't know the answer 100% ..I had a good hunch but I wanted to be 100% certain

Holding the book doesn't mean much in a shtf senario. 

This acct has to be drained asap because a crisis is brewing.. ????????

3 hours ago, VinnieK said:

I didn't know the answer 100% ..I had a good hunch but I wanted to be 100% certain

Holding the book doesn't mean much in a shtf senario. 

This acct has to be drained asap because a crisis is brewing.. ????????

I suppose she could go to the bank and claim the passbook is lost, please issue me a new one.

However, that would then be fraud if you turn up with the existing one.

If she is a signatory that can draw funds, best to get in first.

I suggest you watch your back as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, geisha said:

Lesson learnt I suppose.In my whole adult life of 60 years I have never had a joint account. Surely two adults can come to good arrangements without ?

Whose idea was the joint account?

To save face, what you could do is have one account just for yourself, and retain the joint account. However only keep a relatively small amount of money in the joint account; perhaps enough to pay for 1 or 2 months expenses. Top up your joint account from your private account. You can explain it's for "tax reasons" from your home country.