Commercial devastation in Hat Yai.

VinnieK

Being going into town almost daily, for the last few months.

Having also lived there in the past, I am familiar with all the economic activity etc.

The pandemic has totally devastated the tourism industry and by contagion ,a lot of the commercial activity.

Many hotels haven't reopened, malls and big supermarkets quiet, a multitude of small shops gone for good 

The nightlife industry is still dead. 

The trickle of tourists from Malaysia hasn't had any meaningful impact.

For rent/sale signs all over.

A general depressing feeling all over.

Terrible.

I feel sorry for ppl who lost livelyhoods. 

I believe Robinson's, Diana, Siam Nakarin are living on borrowed time. 

Somebody can correct me but I think Odean has gone under too, except the ground floor which still operates.

Big C extra is very quiet also.

There's a limit as to how much money companies can burn.

The only places with some vigorous activity are Makro, Central Festival and the fresh markets 

I believe the center of town, as we knew it, is not coming back. 

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, VinnieK said:

I believe the center of town, as we knew it, is not coming back. 

I'd agree. The centre of town has suffered badly, and with the amount of units for sale, rent or just abandoned, I think we'll see whole blocks bought up, demolished and redeveloped. There's already been one wholesale demolition taking out the south side of Thumnoonvithi between Soi 1 and 2. Several hotels in the centre are never going to open again, and will either be demolished or gutted and refurbished.

Nightlife in the centre of town is limited (was before the pandemic), there's more happening along and off Thumnoonvithi east of Sam Sip Met, along Klongrein 1 & 2, and around Poonnakan Rd (Kho Hong).  The eastern side of the city is in better shape, new hotels and restaurants.

Malaysian tourists are returning, weekends in town have been busy, and the food stalls at Lee Garden are full again. They've been trying hard with various street fairs mini concerts at the weekend to bring people into town.

https://www.hatyaitoday.com/money-flow/

I've a Malaysian friend coming up from KL with his family this weekend, so will see what his reaction is like, they've not visited Hat Yai for four years.

The pandemic just presents an opportunity for redevelopment.

Edited by Stocky

I was in Hat Yai two days ago and can confirm it was unusually quiet. Perhaps the pandemic was a blessing in disguise, cleaning up the "bad" and transforming the city into a modern hub for business people and high-quality tourists. I'm looking forward to seeing how the city develops in the coming years!

On 9/22/2022 at 11:41 AM, MarcelV said:

I was in Hat Yai two days ago and can confirm it was unusually quiet. Perhaps the pandemic was a blessing in disguise, cleaning up the "bad" and transforming the city into a modern hub for business people and high-quality tourists. I'm looking forward to seeing how the city develops in the coming years!

There will be a lot of soul-searching in the years to come for sure.

The old 'model' is dead.