Why was Thailand’s cannabis bill voted down and will this derail legalization?

webfact

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Anutin is also leader of the coalition’s Bhumjaithai Party, whose key election promise was to legalize marijuana.

As such, Bhumjaithai insists it will do everything to ensure the recent legalization is not reversed.

Anutin what a plonker... his veiled attempt of securing votes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

The yaba is rampant out here in the moo bans. More are reporting young boys out all night up to mischief, stealing things from shops and front yards, then they sleep all day and don't go to school. It's become dirt cheap as it's been pouring across the borders, with certain people paid to look the other way.

The yaba incidents on the news, with shirtless or naked guys trashing a shop then having to be dragged into the back of a pickup, have become a nightly routine. Would be far preferable for them to just smoke a little ganja, after which they'll peaceful and docile. But then certain people don't like that it can be grown on one's own or obtained locally, and they'd no longer get a cut from it coming in from somewhere.

One can only hope that significant numbers of yaba users of all ages find that Ganja is a more pleasant "high" and yaba use declines..

Ganja seems like a much better "fit' for the average Thai (and everyone that doesn't want to spend a few hours grinding their teeth..)

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 8:54 AM, BritManToo said:

Them fighting over details is a good thing ......... gives us longer with no restrictions of any kind.

Yes but if you are smoking use your brains because foreigners smoking it in public and on beaches

without a care is a sure way to get it banned very soon.

15 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

How can smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol be allowed if use of pot is not ?

Problem is I believe a higher percentage of people who start smoking pot move onto harder drugs later.

My brother was one who later overdosed and died from a bad batch.

31 minutes ago, bobbin said:

One can only hope that significant numbers of yaba users of all ages find that Ganja is a more pleasant "high" and yaba use declines..

Ganja seems like a much better "fit' for the average Thai (and everyone that doesn't want to spend a few hours grinding their teeth..)

If it was legal like booze, kids would find it much harder to access. And the dose would be easier to regulate to stop many negative effects.

The Whermacht overran western Europe on meth.

https://time.com/5752114/nazi-military-drugs/

so where were all the German meth heads?

The only way to control drugs is to stop lying to ourselves about the harms, which exist, but are vastly exaggerated, and start supplying them to those that want them, controlled just like tobacco and booze.

There is no other way that doesn't eventually end in a state of complete societal chaos. 

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

"Gateway drug" is a myth. 

So while your statement is true, the inference that it "all begins with weed" is not. 

The reality is that people who use one drug, are more likely to try other drugs.

People who become drug dependant, versus about 96% of recreational users, are often suffering from unresolved childhood trauma, such as sexual abuse, or even battlefield PTSD.

Well I don't really agree and that's just from my own personal experience most people I know who started smoking Pot also tried stronger drugs.

10 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Well I don't really agree and that's just from my own personal experience most people I know who started smoking Pot also tried stronger drugs.

You are not even trying to understand my argument, I don't disagree with your claim, but it does not follow weed is a risk factor for harder drugs, it just means anyone who uses ANY drugs is more likely to use other drugs. 

That's a big leap.

Also, your personal experience of knowing some dudes is not a scientific method of reaching important conclusions about drug use. 

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

You are not even trying to understand my argument, you're just stuck in your groove, and that's that. 

Thus, part of the problem?

Well I used to smoke but gave it up and I do understand your argument but don't agree that's all and so now you say I am stuck in a groove?

The Democrats and Pheu Thai are on the wrong side of history, with this populist legalization. And it is the wrong time for them to be so wrong, with an election looming in the not too distant future. If they want to have any chance of victory, they need to be progressive, and look to the future. If the RDP (regressive dinosaur party) could get this legalized, then this just makes the other parties look sluggard and out of touch with the people.

Get your act together guys, and get with the times!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

How can smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol be allowed if use of pot is not ?

Lets not forget vaping . The maximum penalty is 30,000 baht fine and a 10 year prison sentence but I think it is aimed mostly at farangs as Thais openly vape . Smoking pot is now legal and will be for a long time but it is much more harmful than vaping which is seen as a way to quit regular tobacco smoking . 

• Like 1

I agree that Cannabis should be legalized for medical purposes and even recreational use if people do it in private without disturbing others.
I don't agree that people take big Spliff's down to the beach thinking they are cool and boast about it on social media.

When young people see it they will also want to try just to look cool and I don't think smoking anything is good for your lungs.
There are other ways to take it apart from smoking but they just don't look as cool.

• Like 1