Why Iranian women are burning their hijabs after the death of Mahsa Amini

Scott

Silhouette of raised arms and clenched fists on the background of the flag of Iran. The concept of power, power, conflict. With place for your text. Silhouette of raised arms and clenched fists on the background of the flag of Iran. The concept of power, power, conflict. With place for your text. iran protest stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images

Iranian women are burning their hijabs and cutting their hair short in protests over the death of Mahsa Amini, a young woman who died after being arrested in Tehran by Iran's notorious "morality police," who enforce the country's rules on hijabs and other conservative Islamic modes of dress and behavior.

Here's what we know so far about Amini's death and the public furor it ignited, and the questions that remain:

Amini was arrested for allegedly breaking hijab rules

Amini, 22, died on Friday in northern Tehran. She had been arrested on Tuesday and reportedly was taken to a hospital shortly afterward.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/21/1124237272/mahsa-amini-iran-women-protest-hijab-morality-police

NPR logo

Looking at photos of many of these countries in the 60’s...  Tehran, Kabul etc...  they looked amazing... modern, developed, places of education... 

The hardliners have destroyed generations and pushed their countries back into the moral dark-ages. 

It still shocks me that such thinking exists today.... ‘morality police’ of any form are an abhorrent blight on any society. 

For such behaviour I really would like to see the rest of the world cut off all Thai’s to these hard line theocratic governments that perform and allow such atrocity, that goes for Saudi too...

Unfortunately, our own governments are hypocritical and weak.

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Looking at photos of many of these countries in the 60’s...  Tehran, Kabul etc...  they looked amazing... modern, developed, places of education... 

The hardliners have destroyed generations and pushed their countries back into the moral dark-ages. 

It still shocks me that such thinking exists today.... ‘morality police’ of any form are an abhorrent blight on any society. 

For such behaviour I really would like to see the rest of the world cut off all Thai’s to these hard line theocratic governments that perform and allow such atrocity, that goes for Saudi too...

Unfortunately, our own governments are hypocritical and weak.

I fully understand and agree with much of what you say, but when you move out of the cities and into the rural areas, life has remained very much the same for a very, very long time.  I spent a fair amount of time in the ME including some of the more progressive countries.  How people lived and dressed in the cities was quite different from much of the rural areas.   That doesn't make what the gov't is doing right -- far from it.  It just means that there are large segments of the population that have no problem with the religious restrictions on dress.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Credo said:

It just means that there are large segments of the population that have no problem with the religious restrictions on dress.   

In these area’s those ‘large segments’ are the male segment....  IF you could ask females without the risk of ‘morality police’ they’d offer a different view point....  this is true of many countries in which Islam has an extreme hold. 

In rural areas they seem more repressed and not given the opportunity to ‘know any better’ however internet access is changing this.