Doctors refuse to pull my tooth

MambaJamba

I have frontal erosion and also traces from doctors drilling on my first premolar tooth. I feel constant discomfort and annoying pain on it all the time. It does not have any cavities or hole. I've been some clinics and asked to pull it by they always refuse.

Several months ago i had not much corrosion and small crack on top on that tooth, crack was around 1.5 to 2 mm deep, so I can live like that for years with minimal discomfort.  Here I made huge mistake which ruined my life I went to dentist to fix it. They did acid etching, after they put bonding and did composite restoration. Doctor did a mistake and dropped some bonding agent with composite on nearest tooth. However first tooth was restored and looked beautiful, but I got strong intoxication after that procedure. I do not know why intoxication happened, may be composite was under cured or overdose of bonding agent. I could not live like that, feel burning in my mouth, heavy breath, sleep disorder and like that. I visited several clinics after to remove that they put.  They remove all composite and most of bonding. After 2 months I feel much better, most intoxication gone, but not completely. I hope with more time it will go away. However that tooth was drilled many times to remove composite and bonding, i just not feel comfortable living  with broken tooth. I want to remove it but doctors said it is fine. I really do not know what to do. 

When first time I come to do composite restoration doctor did not tell me "Your tooth is fine, you do not need restoration". However now when i want to pull broken tooth, they all say "Your tooth is fine"

Edited by MambaJamba

Dentists don’t want to pull out good teeth. The other option is to have a root canal done and a ceramic crown. That’s what I’m doing in Pattaya now. Good luck. I dread the dentist but found a good one. Hopefully you’ll do the same. 

• Like 1

An ethical dentist will indeed not pull out a healthy tooth.  Extraction has long term consequences for your other teeth.

It is also possible that your pain & discomfort is not from the tooth itself but other cause. It is not unusual to have TMJ pain after lengthy dental work, for example. In which case extraction not only would nto help, but would further aggravate the pain.

Where in Thailand are you located?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jcmj said:

Dentists don’t want to pull out good teeth

Really? Not long after I came to live in Thailand I needed to visit the local dentist and he told me that I needed three teeth extracted. I thought not and, some 26 years later, I still have those teeth. Later, another dentist said I need root canal surgery. I thought not, and I've had no problems since. When there's money and Thais involved......

• Like 1

I recommend you visit your nearest dental hospital (mostly attached to general medical hospitals), not go to a clinic.

The doctors at the hospital might help to evaluate the current situation and make a treatment plan.

• Like 2

Dr Lily Poncheron @ 'Bangkok Dental Spa'. https://bangkokdentalspa.com/

Tell her Philip referred you.

She's a superb dentist, and very, very well respected as a senior dentist in Bangkok. Perfect English and plenty of experience serving falangs.

If anyone can solve your dental problem/s she can.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Really? Not long after I came to live in Thailand I needed to visit the local dentist and he told me that I needed three teeth extracted. I thought not and, some 26 years later, I still have those teeth. Later, another dentist said I need root canal surgery. I thought not, and I've had no problems since. When there's money and Thais involved......

Dentists will probably have the same attitude as the medical profession in Thailand. Money, money, money. Their behaviour through the pandemic proved that, according to all the reports I have read.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Dentists will probably have the same attitude as the medical profession in Thailand. Money, money, money. Their behaviour through the pandemic proved that, according to all the reports I have read.

Funny how we always single out Thailand while ignoring the same thing in Western countries.

Felix Gottschalk and his colleagues at ETH Zurich, a Swiss research university, designed a test to measure “overtreatment recommendations.” They sent a man in his 20s with relatively perfect teeth and a recent X-ray to 180 local dentists for a recommendation and a cost estimate. The patient had a superficial cavity on one tooth, which the Swiss Dental Guidelines recommend should only be brushed regularly and checked again in a year, not filled.

Result:

28 percent of dentists (50 out of 180) recommended treatment; the average quote was about $550. The cost of the diagnostic visit ranged from $0 to $217.

--28% of Swiss dentists recommend unnecessary fillings

• Like 2

You will have to get it pulled because otherwise the infection will cause the bone the tooth sits to dissolve over time and your gum will recede, once that starts it will migrate to the neighboring teeth. Happened to me. I don't understand why they won't pull it. Just keep going from dentist to dentist until you'll find one willing to do it! 

Edited by pacovl46

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Funny how we always single out Thailand while ignoring the same thing in Western countries.

Felix Gottschalk and his colleagues at ETH Zurich, a Swiss research university, designed a test to measure “overtreatment recommendations.” They sent a man in his 20s with relatively perfect teeth and a recent X-ray to 180 local dentists for a recommendation and a cost estimate. The patient had a superficial cavity on one tooth, which the Swiss Dental Guidelines recommend should only be brushed regularly and checked again in a year, not filled.

Result:

28 percent of dentists (50 out of 180) recommended treatment; the average quote was about $550. The cost of the diagnostic visit ranged from $0 to $217.

Yes, I mentioned it in Thailand because it was about Thailand. But you are right, the same thing happens all over the world. The pandemic has made a lot of people rich, probably in all the countries.

But I'm not sure if some countries were as bad as Thailand with their unelected soldier government and their policy of whipping people of to hospital at their great expense just because they were sitting in a seat which happened to be near an infected person

8 hours ago, jcmj said:

Dentists don’t want to pull out good teeth. The other option is to have a root canal done and a ceramic crown. That’s what I’m doing in Pattaya now. Good luck. I dread the dentist but found a good one. Hopefully you’ll do the same. 

For what it is worth dentists dread going to a dentist as well.

8 hours ago, jcmj said:

Root canal and crown - 30,000+ THB
Extraction - 1500 THB

Now.  Wonder why?  Op's a newbie with 11 posts.  Either trolling or hasn't really looked around for a dentist.  If you teeth cause you pain and want them removed, you can find a dentist. 

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Result:

It would have been at least double those prices in the US.

2 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

You will have to get it pulled because otherwise the infection will cause the bone the tooth sits to dissolve over time and your gum will recede, once that starts it will migrate to the neighboring teeth. Happened to me. I don't understand why they won't pull it. Just keep going from dentist to dentist until you'll find one willing to do it! 

No infection has been identified. More than one dentist has examined and found the tooth healthy, no infection, no problem. Either they both missed something, or there is no indication for extraction and indeed the pain may be due to something else like TMJ trauma from earlier dental work. Either way he needs to see another, better dentist

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No infection has been identified. More than one dentist has examined and found the tooth healthy, no infection, no problem. Either they both missed something, or there is no indication for extraction and indeed the pain may be due to something else like TMJ trauma from earlier dental work. Either way he needs to see another, better dentist

Yes no infection, no hole, no cavity and almost no enamel in front. They drilled it to remove  composite restoration on front. I am not comfortable to live like that. I would ether pull or put new  composite restoration, but i need guarantee and bio compatibility tests for each material will be used before i put something in my mouth again. What i found in internet self etched bonding agent can cause intoxication and burning mouth. If some doctor can put composite without self etch agent i would try. Also guarantee they pull tooth 100% if i have intoxication again.

I am going to Pattaya soon, should be much more clinics and hospitals than in Surin.

Pattaya Dental Point 

www.dppattaya.com

I message them on Line and they respond pretty quickly as well in English so you could try that as well. Very nice and willing to work with you. 
Line id @ddpattaya.com

best of luck. Hopefully you can find a solution.