Bying foldable bicycle in Bkk – then to North Thailand – your experience?

henrik2000

Hi,

pondering a 60 days holiday in Thailand. I'm based in the west.

1.      What's your experience buying a foldable bicycle around 5000 – 8000 THB in Bkk or Pattaya? (shops, quality of bicycle, bag available?)

2.      did you ever transport that bicycle in a long-distance bus in TH or on a minibus, together with your regular travel-bag of another 20 kilograms?

Google shows several shops for foldable bicycles in Bkk (Link Google-search). I would then fly Bkk-Nan with bicycle + regular baggage (or maybe bus). From Nan, I would find other bases such as Phayao, Pizzanoluck, Uttaradit (going there by bus or perhaps rental car, I MIGHT use rental car AND bicycle). Only my first few days would be in Bkk and Pattaya. Whole length of trip about 60 days, aware of visa requirements.

I know that I can carry say 40 kilograms in 2 bags on Nok Air if I buy the kilograms online ahead of flight. Bkk also has expensive foldable bicycles like Brompton, which I don't want. I would perhaps leave the bicycle in TH after 60 days, as it seems to be very expensive to carry it on a long-distance flight to Europe.

I love exploring of rural countryside by walking or bicylcle – slow and un-unambitious, no sports, including snapping, sitting down for rice soup etc. I did that a lot in TH (several Isaan areas, chanwat Chiang Mai, Nakhon Si etc.) and other hot countries. I would wear relatively normal street dress (but "no sweat" synthetics sports T-shirts looking NOT like sports), and I wouldn't bicycle at noon or after dark. No sporty ambitions and no long day trips under time pressure, it's about "lazy strolls on bicycle". I do speak enough Thai for that, thanks to GPS never get lost and don't mind starting at 5.30 a.m. I would carry almost no luggage on the bicycle. I know N-TH is mountainous. I can live for a good while without the Bkk-Pattaya-lifestyle, even without western food, no problem.

There are small lodges all around N-Thailand, and many do provide bicycles cheaply, even free for lodgers. I often had that, usually dilapidated 24" mountain bikes. But those bicycles mostly had to be taken to a workshop first. Several times I received the promised bike days late, and maybe broken, so that I lost days. I already experienced that a westerner on a cheap small bicycle (not a cool sports bicycle and not cool sports attire) may be despised by Thais. (I dress "politely" always.)

After the first week with the new bicycle, I would take it to a workshop to re-tune the spokes. From the west I would bring a small repair kit, lock and a seat cushion. I'd love a foldable bike with mudguards and front-basket, but it may not be possible. I wouldn't require lights.

Do you find the ideas above doable? What would you consider? Where did you get the foldable bike? Or is it foolish?

Thanks!

Bad Idea

https://www.richardbarrow.com/2015/02/around-the-world-cyclist-killed-in-thailand/

or more recently

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/well-known-thai-touring-cyclist-killed-by-a-truck-in-nakhon-ratchasima/

If you stay off the Main roads that would be a better idea, but Thailand MAIN roads are IMHO not suitable for Bicycles! (No separate Bike Lanes as in Europe)

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

MJCM, thanks for the links. In Thailand, of course i would stay off the main roads, i hope to be mainly on field roads sixth grade sealed roads.

I cycled a lot in Thailand already, and compared to India it feels very sleepy. Anything like an inter-province road or downtown roads are not at all tempting.

43 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:

MJCM, thanks for the links. In Thailand, of course i would stay off the main roads, i hope to be mainly on field roads sixth grade sealed roads.

I cycled a lot in Thailand already, and compared to India it feels very sleepy. Anything like an inter-province road or downtown roads are not at all tempting.

No worries,

but please do note that Thailand has one of the highest road accidents stats in the whole world and they don't give a ..... about cyclers.

I used to, in my home country, cycle a lot (25km one way trip to work) but here I never dared it, in whole honesty the roads are not designed for it. Even for Motobikes it's a dangerous game.

Example: I was driving to Korat recently and there is one stretch of road (4 lanes) that is so narrow where the "emergency lane" on the left is that you have to (as a cyclist or on a Motobike) use the MAIN road just to keep going, and this is not a couple of meters but a couple of KM's!

I understand what you are saying about

43 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:

hope to be mainly on field roads sixth grade sealed roads.

but sometimes you just can't or you have to take a massive detour.

Another thing I need you to warn you about, is Soi Dogs. When passing them some will try to bite you so be careful.

Safest thing would be to drive against the traffic flow as you will see the traffic coming, but that could get you into trouble with the BiB (Police) even when it's common practice amongst Thais because they don't want to drive a couple 100's of Meters to the U-TURN  :whistling:

Edited by MJCM

I have done several lengthy tours on a folding recumbent throughout Thailand. The most ambitious ride was Bangkok to Chiang Mai. I experienced no negative issues or close calls. The bemusement of folks at the sight of my bicycle brightened every day.

• Like 1

sounds like an excellent adventure!

Clearly you know your budget and enough about cycling already, but here's my thought[s]: Consider buying a bike in Nan. Get something reliable. Nancycling is a Giant dealer among others. Perhaps go for a flat bar bike with full size wheels to roll through the potholes and broken road shoulders. Safer trajectory control on any inevitably busy roads! You'll get more bang for your baht by avoiding a folding mechanism.  eg: Giant Escape 3 = +/-11K vs Giant Momentum Pakaway = 12k, [both specced at Shimano Tourney level]. The Escape is 'streets'  [sorry] ahead as a bike.

For anyone else reading/considering this type of thing, be aware of the bicycle size challenges in Thailand and current supply-chain limitations.