Is UK A Good Destination for Higher Education

JoeKok

It is a question for me too.

My experience tells me that kids should study where they are supposed to live further. It will let them to establish important social relations. Maybe find future partner.

However, if you're a Thai, have enough connections, they can go study and come back.

The UK is one of the better options, also look at The Netherlands and Germany, both have universities offering superb English language programs for overseas students.

Specific to the UK there are some things to consider.

Choice of University. Resist the impulse to choose on reputation alone, essentially the ‘Russell Group’ and look at the course to be studied and the faculty of the university.

Don’t overlook Scottish universities which have some of the best programs in the UK for overseas students.

Think about where the Campus is located, in or out of town and the cost/availability of accommodation in the area.

I would ignore the exchange rate, which will almost certainly have changed in the three/four years most courses run for. Given that Courses have already started you’ve missed this year, so it’s now four/five years to graduation.

*There is of course the question of whether the young person is ready to study overseas, if they are and can cope with the displacement then there are hugely positive opportunities to learn and broaden their mind and world view.

As I explained some time ago, getting our children into school then higher education in the UK and Europe was an easy decision and one that we have absolutely no regrets over.
……

*Ask your child what they want to study, where they want to study then help them choose what’s right for them.

It’s not a decision you should make for them., they have to deal with it and produce the results.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

Thanks guys for all the helpful insight and opinion, it does help me to cover more angles and perspectives.

Am in the midst of picking either a 3+1 program or sending them full-time overseas. We do have some good international Universities that offer the overseas program in their final year.

But as @plus7 mentioned, the social relationship and exposure are important. Not sure how much of the one year overseas program is going to help.