Top 5 provinces in Thailand

Sparktrader

Lower PKK, Chumphon, Surat Thani (not Samui), Phang Nga, NST ... self explanatory, as just lovely.  Few tourist & expats.

Krabi also, but not Ao Nang.

Phuket when not too many tourist & expat there.  During covid, the beaches were well worth the drive.  May give it another visit, depending on returning numbers, but what I've seen so far, too many already have returned.

For short visit & big city vibe, Krung Thep, but not the tourist slums, unless a SoHo pizza fix.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Lower PKK, Chumphon, Surat Thani (not Samui), Phang Nga, NST ... self explanatory, as just lovely.  Few tourist & expats.

Phuket when not too many tourist & expat there.  During covid, the beaches were well worth the drive.  May give it another visit, depending on returning numbers, but what I've seen so far, too many already have returned.

For short visit & big city vibe, Krung Thep, but not the tourist slums, unless a SoHo pizza fix.

All south! Interesting

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

All south! Interesting

South is generally richer than the North, from what I've seen they look down on northerners, esp from Isaan. Most of the beach tourism is concentrated here.

I would include Samui in the Surat Thani list, and also add Songkhla. Wonderful people there, and very nice scenery around the big lakes.

However it is a no go zone according to the Aussie government, and your travel insurance may be void there ????

Contrary to the government advice I've been there a few times, can say only good things about the area.

12 minutes ago, gearbox said:

South is generally richer than the North, from what I've seen they look down on northerners, esp from Isaan. Most of the beach tourism is concentrated here.

I would include Samui in the Surat Thani list, and also add Songkhla. Wonderful people there, and very nice scenery around the big lakes.

However it is a no go zone according to the Aussie government, and your travel insurance may be void there ????

Contrary to the government advice I've been there a few times, can say only good things about the area.

Yes, the Southern provinces are much more wealthy than the rest, Issan and Northern provinces compete for the poorest. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Thai_provinces_by_GPP

• Thumbs Up 1