Widespread flooding in Chiang Mai as Ping River breaches flood wall

snoop1130

4061AB4B-1CBB-4247-9A8B-29444FC12C1C.jpeg

Water from the overflowing Ping River breached flood walls this afternoon (Monday), causing widespread inundation of the Muang district of Chiang Mai, including in the economic zone.

The water level in the Ping River, measured at the Nawarat Bridge, had risen to 4.65 metres at 3pm today, which is above the 3.70 metre critical level, due mainly to the arrival of runoffs from the Mae Tang river basin.

Provincial officials have warned that the flood situation may get worse, as more runoff is expected from Chiang Dao district and the Mae Tang river basin tomorrow.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/widespread-flooding-in-chiang-mai-as-ping-river-breaches-flood-wall/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-10-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brommers said:

And the authorities said that the new flood control gates built after the disasterous floods of 2011 would prevent flooding in the city. When will Thailand swallow its pride and bring in real experts like the Dutch?

Never.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Dutch didnt even decided what to do with its country upon sea level rise.

It is another problem then the rain problem, but never the less a problem.

I red there was also a plan to leave the country and let it flood. So we will move to Germany.

Dont know about time span on how quick or slow it will show.

About half of it lost to water, as we are mostly, way below sea level.

In the mean time we are fuzzing about N2 in nature, so that is wasted time, if you dont do a thing about protection sea level rise. Nature will be gone and you only have ...seawater.

There are also already islands in the Great Pacific, going down on sea level rise.

There has been flooding here as well and no answer on that still. People are still building up their lives again after the flooding in 2021.

In the area of Amsterdam, there should be the 2 biggest water pumps of the world.

60000 ltr/sec. Yes, per second! Can you imagine power use of it, hope the electrical grid can handle it. Weird is, I could find that only by searching on English terms and not in my native language. No clue if it is like that. 

Saw a docu about UK, a village going down on lost of land by sea. A coast as 30 meters high being broken down and houses, village on top lost. According the villagers, government thinks it is too expensive to protect. And thats it. 

I wonder why UK has already problems and we dont. Or do we?

Fact is, climate is changing. Scientists say CO2 and other gasses. I can go with that.

I wonder what was the impact when Sadam set many oil wells on fire at that time.

But also we pollute our seas with plastics. 8000000 TONS/year in the oceans.

Such an amount can change sea currents, wild life in oceans and there for again climate.

Once red , there are 5 islands of plastic, as big as Texas floating around in the oceans.

Plankton seems to be also a provider of oxygen of the world, not only trees.

Can you imagine, it that one isnt there anymore?! 

We already see coral reefs dying which provide part of plankton.

No one seems to care about that and the plastic dumping continues.

Yha ok there are some people who do and they fish it out again!

What a waste of time, money, stupidiness. Yeah we are on a road to nowhere.

Well some people will get rich of it. Criminals who are dumping and get paid for it.

And thats the point: the greediness of human, money.

Now you can do also a space travel, hurray, only rich to have a tumble in space.

Even the environment celebrity Leonardo DiCaprio wants a trip in space, as i red, 

costing a whopping 90 million dollar. But adding more problems in climate.