U.S. prosecutors tell jury Oath Keepers militia members plotted Jan. 6 'armed rebellion'

Scott

Stewart Rhodes of the Oath Keepers poses during an interview session in Eureka

WASHINGTON, Oct 3 (Reuters) - U.S. prosecutors urged members of a jury to convict Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes and four others for their roles in storming the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, saying they formed an "armed rebellion" to disrupt the peaceful transfer of power.

"They concocted a plan for an armed rebellion to shatter a bedrock of American democracy," prosecutor Jeff Nestler said in an opening statement at the trial.

Rhodes and his co-defendants Kelly Meggs, Thomas Caldwell, Jessica Watkins and Kenneth Harrelson are accused of plotting to forcefully prevent Congress from certifying Democratic President Joe Biden's 2020 election victory in a failed bid to keep then-President Donald Trump, a Republican, in power.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/oath-keepers-founder-goes-trial-over-us-capitol-riots-2022-10-03/

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Takeaways from the dramatic first day and opening statements of the Oath Keepers trial

Five alleged members of the far-right militia, including its leader Stewart Rhodes, are on trial in Washington DC’s federal courthouse. They have pleaded not guilty to the charge of seditious conspiracy, a charge rarely brought by the Justice Department, and other charges.

The Justice Department’s opening statement featured messages and other communications among the defendants that prosecutors say show the Oath Keepers’ unlawful plotting to disrupt Congress’ certification of President Joe Biden’s electoral win. As the prosecutors sought to use the words of the defendants against them, they also played video capturing the Oath Keepers’ actions in the Capitol and displayed maps and charts to help the jury follow along. Each juror has their own screen to see evidence.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/03/politics/takeaways-oath-keepers-sedition-opening-arguments-january-6-us-capitol/index.html

• Like 2

On 10/4/2022 at 6:08 AM, Scott said:

"armed rebellion"

Are not "arms" ie weapons necessary to be "armed"?

I watched the entire event on tv and "arms" were absent in what I saw. Apparently the only shot(s) fired were by a policeman shooting an unarmed protestor.

There may have been "arms" somewhere, but hardly obvious and not used to my knowledge.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are not "arms" ie weapons necessary to be "armed"?

I watched the entire event on tv and "arms" were absent in what I saw. Apparently the only shot(s) fired were by a policeman shooting an unarmed protestor.

There may have been "arms" somewhere, but hardly obvious and not used to my knowledge.

Apparently you avoid reading about Jeremy Bertino who is the top lieutenant for the Proud Boys has pleaded guilt for Jan 6 seditious conspiracy and unlawful possession of firearm.