New Political Party Ready To Launch

sriracha john

Excellent post Blaze #1285, I think you are hitting on “In Thailand appearance is everything” theme with great accuracy. In short you are reflecting what the Constitutional Tribunal did back in May when they took nearly half the day to present their findings to the people. If I recall they started early afternoon and went on well into the evening.

Yes there can be no doubts in the eyes of the Thais and the world, and it certainly goes well beyond politics here. As a business man, I would be looking to see how fair the government (EC) deals with this before considering moving or setting up a company here and investing big money. It is the little things like this seemingly unrelated that carry much more weight than what the ‘Open you business in Thailand’ salesman will every tell you. The arrogant, angry, revenge seeking, greedy, disrespect for authority persona the PPP projects is not the type most from the west are comfortable with when in comes it investing money.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent post Blaze #1285, I think you are hitting on “In Thailand appearance is everything” theme with great accuracy. In short you are reflecting what the Constitutional Tribunal did back in May when they took nearly half the day to present their findings to the people. If I recall they started early afternoon and went on well into the evening.

Yes there can be no doubts in the eyes of the Thais and the world, and it certainly goes well beyond politics here. As a business man, I would be looking to see how fair the government (EC) deals with this before considering moving or setting up a company here and investing big money. It is the little things like this seemingly unrelated that carry much more weight than what the ‘Open you business in Thailand’ salesman will every tell you. The arrogant, angry, revenge seeking, greedy, disrespect for authority persona the PPP projects is not the type most from the west are comfortable with when in comes it investing money.

John Im not quite sure you have completely got the meaning of what Blaze wrote. I will be interested to se Blaze's clarification on this but to my mind Blaze was commenting on the Junta will find something even if it is not there! However, I stand to be corrected

John Im not quite sure you have completely got the meaning of what Blaze wrote. I will be interested to se Blaze's clarification on this but to my mind Blaze was commenting on the Junta will find something even if it is not there! However, I stand to be corrected

Is there an emoticon for a playful 'wink'?

Could you please save me and others the blog wading and just say the name, hammered?

Sudarat?, Newin?, Yongyuth? his sister, Yinglick?

any of the above?

:o

Or is it unmentionable?

:D

As it is rumor not sure it should be named openly on here. However lets say it starts with an N

N obody?

Looking at what is being said by the PPP that the CD may have been made before go button had been pushed, I think that also is another violation as no campaigning was to be done prior to go (however I can’t be sure on that). It is beginning to look like a lose, lose situation for the PPP here. The PPP rhetoric is starting to look very similar to what the TRT was saying in the last weeks of May prior to getting dissolved. Placing doubt, positive spin and so on. Clearly they are concerned not to mention all that vote buying money will have been spent for nothing. The disrespect for law attitude they have is catching up with them it seems.

Hammered, I left the junta out of the formula just as I left each and every persons opinion out. This in short all comes down to one word “FACE.” There is a perceived right thing to do here based on the persona and actions thus far of the PPP, and any parent will tell you some form of discipline is call for with this misbehaving child. Whether or not that is in sync with the law falls to the EC to decide.

Could you please save me and others the blog wading and just say the name, hammered?

any of the above?

Or is it unmentionable?

As it is rumor not sure it should be named openly on here. However lets say it starts with an N

N obody?

unfortunately not. ex-Burmese dicatators would be nearer the mark

Looking at what is being said by the PPP that the CD may have been made before go button had been pushed, I think that also is another violation as no campaigning was to be done prior to go (however I can’t be sure on that). It is beginning to look like a lose, lose situation for the PPP here. The PPP rhetoric is starting to look very similar to what the TRT was saying in the last weeks of May prior to getting dissolved. Placing doubt, positive spin and so on. Clearly they are concerned not to mention all that vote buying money will have been spent for nothing. The disrespect for law attitude they have is catching up with them it seems.

Hammered, I left the junta out of the formula just as I left each and every persons opinion out. This in short all comes down to one word “FACE.” There is a perceived right thing to do here based on the persona and actions thus far of the PPP, and any parent will tell you some form of discipline is call for with this misbehaving child. Whether or not that is in sync with the law falls to the EC to decide.

When the statements were made is a red herring. That the VCD was circulated during the current election campaign places it under election law. This is the big one if the authorities want to use it to its full extent. It will actually be interesting to see how they do use it.

Some civic groups apparently also plan to make complaints. I dont know if this means it will also end up in the courts. Id love to see one of the ex-TRT people I know right now to get the low down on this, but from the way they are wheeling out the varuious leaders it shows they realise the importance of this. The really pro-PPP blogs are also amazingly quiet on this right now indicating a partyline on how to respond has not yet been established and that they are unwilling to go it alone without advice. Again indicating the party realise the potential danger.

Persoanlly I would prefer an election with all the parties in it but this election is getting dirtier by the day.

any of the above?

Or is it unmentionable?

Do any of these bloggers claim to have first hand knowledge of his involvement. Sounds kind of strange- he is under very intense- probably round the clock- scrutiny- he knows that one tiny little slip up will scupper him and the PPP- ... and loathesome though he is (recall his response to the birdflu) --- or wait a minute- are we talking about the same guy here?

We just had a situation in Canada where undercover Quebec provincial police were shown on a video tape to be actually beating on cops assigned to security at a big anti-globalism melee in Quebec. These things happen- they are called 'agents provacateurs'. A common ploy to discredit enemies- not saying that Thais would ever stoop so low...

Edited by blaze

When the statements were made is a red herring. That the VCD was circulated during the current election campaign places it under election law. This is the big one if the authorities want to use it to its full extent. It will actually be interesting to see how they do use it.

Some civic groups apparently also plan to make complaints. I dont know if this means it will also end up in the courts. Id love to see one of the ex-TRT people I know right now to get the low down on this, but from the way they are wheeling out the varuious leaders it shows they realise the importance of this. The really pro-PPP blogs are also amazingly quiet on this right now indicating a partyline on how to respond has not yet been established and that they are unwilling to go it alone without advice. Again indicating the party realise the potential danger.

Persoanlly I would prefer an election with all the parties in it but this election is getting dirtier by the day.

It certainly looks like a fun and exciting week coming up. Unfortunately I am heading out of Thailand in the morning for the bulk of the week and I won’t have easy access to the Internet. This CD thing provides a good opportunity to predict the actions of the now panicking PPP when their actions will be mostly run by emotions and not logic. However on the outside I may suggest watching for sales on Flack jackets as the out of control emotions may want some sort of revenge on the government similar to new years eve last year.

any of the above?

Or is it unmentionable?

Do any of these bloggers claim to have first hand knowledge of his involvement. Sounds kind of strange- he is under very intense- probably round the clock- scrutiny- he knows that one tiny little slip up will scupper him and the PPP- ... and loathesome though he is (recall his response to the birdflu) --- or wait a minute- are we talking about the same guy here?

We just had a situation in Canada where undercover Quebec provincial police were shown on a video tape to be actually beating on cops assigned to security at a big anti-globalism melee in Quebec. These things happen- they are called 'agents provacateurs'. A common ploy to discredit enemies- not saying that Thais would ever stoop so low...

I first heard the rumor from an ex-MP actually, and so wouldnt dismiss it. He used to be in TRT but is now away.

We'll have to wait and see. I am not convinced even with evidence, if it exists, the PPP willbe disbanded anyway. It is going to get messy imho with risks being taken on botrh sides. I think the election outcome is probably too up in the air for either side to relax in spite of polls

One of the key indicators again comes down to watching Thaksin. If he is out of the public eye he is scheming. Has Thaksin been seen in public? I he in the UK or Hong Kong? He only pokes his head up when he feels he has the upper hand or a plan is underway. I suspect the next 3 or 4 days you will see a change from bad boy PPP to little innocent angel. Samak is already showing that and to be very honest that says they are on the defensive. Samak’s comment that he trusts the EC to do the right ting probably will come back to haunt him. It sounds like some tea money is in the offering too.

PPP faces dissolution over videos of Thaksin

Regardless of whether footage of Thaksin Shinawatra making speeches was shot before the royal election decree, the People Power Party will still be held responsible if found to have distributed it on video CDs afterwards.

The party could face the maximum penalty of being dissolved if found guilty, a senior election official said.

Election Commission secretary-general Sutthipol Thawee-chaikarn said it did not matter if the footage on the VCDs was made before the decree; the PPP would have violated commission rules if it distributed them afterwards.

"That is, if [the distribution] took place [before the decree] and then did not stop" after the decree was gazetted, Sutthipol said.

On Saturday, EC chairman Apichart Sukhagganond said the commission would launch an investigation tomorrow into the distribution of the VCDs.

The VCDs contain several clips of the former prime minister speaking with his supporters. In one clip he urged voters to choose People Power.

The EC recently ruled that Thaksin and 110 other former Thai Rak Thai Party (TRT) executives could not help any party to campaign for the election as they had been banned from politics for five years following the dissolution of TRT.

Sutthipol was commenting after PPP secretary-general Surapong Suebwonglee said earlier that the video footage of Thaksin on VCDs distributed in the Northeast were shot before the election decree, and that the party had nothing to do with their distribution.

Since the clips were shot before the decree, there should be nothing wrong with Thaksin's speeches, he said.

"But the PPP has no knowledge about the distribution of the video CDs. I can affirm that we have done nothing illegal," Surapong said.

He urged the EC to use the same standard to determine whether other banned TRT executives had spoken in support of other political parties.

Surapong denied reports the PPP had collaborated with a Thai businessman in Hong Kong, Charnchai Ruayrungruang, and former Thai Rak Thai executive Newin Chidchob to produce and distribute the VCDs.

The reports said Charnchai made a clip of Thaksin's life and activities in Hong Kong and sent it to Newin to produce the VCD and have it distributed.

Surapong said the PPP's opponents made up the reports to try to frame the party. He said he would sue anyone making allegations.

While Surapong claimed PPP had nothing to do with the distribution, party leader Samak Sundaravej said it had in fact distributed the VCDs, but it was done before the EC announced that former TRT executives could not help in campaigning.

Samak said earlier he had asked the EC whether the former executives could help in campaigning and it had agreed. So the VCDs, which were made to introduce the PPP, were distributed.

He said it was done even before Newin went on stage at an election rally. But distribution was stopped after the EC brought in the campaigning ban on the former executives.

"The clips are an old story," Samak insisted to reporters yesterday after launching 12 campaign caravans at his party's head office.

Source The Nation

Regardless of whether footage of Thaksin Shinawatra making speeches was shot before the royal election decree, the People Power Party will still be held responsible if found to have distributed it on video CDs afterwards.

The party could face the maximum penalty of being dissolved if found guilty, a senior election official said.

Election Commission secretary-general Sutthipol Thawee-chaikarn said it did not matter if the footage on the VCDs was made before the decree; the PPP would have violated commission rules if it distributed them afterwards.

"That is, if [the distribution] took place [before the decree] and then did not stop" after the decree was gazetted, Sutthipol said.

On Saturday, EC chairman Apichart Sukhagganond said the commission would launch an investigation tomorrow into the distribution of the VCDs.

The VCDs contain several clips of the former prime minister speaking with his supporters. In one clip he urged voters to choose People Power.

The EC recently ruled that Thaksin and 110 other former Thai Rak Thai Party (TRT) executives could not help any party to campaign for the election as they had been banned from politics for five years following the dissolution of TRT.

Sutthipol was commenting after PPP secretary-general Surapong Suebwonglee said earlier that the video footage of Thaksin on VCDs distributed in the Northeast were shot before the election decree, and that the party had nothing to do with their distribution.

Since the clips were shot before the decree, there should be nothing wrong with Thaksin's speeches, he said.

"But the PPP has no knowledge about the distribution of the video CDs. I can affirm that we have done nothing illegal," Surapong said.

He urged the EC to use the same standard to determine whether other banned TRT executives had spoken in support of other political parties.

Surapong denied reports the PPP had collaborated with a Thai businessman in Hong Kong, Charnchai Ruayrungruang, and former Thai Rak Thai executive Newin Chidchob to produce and distribute the VCDs.

The reports said Charnchai made a clip of Thaksin's life and activities in Hong Kong and sent it to Newin to produce the VCD and have it distributed.

Surapong said the PPP's opponents made up the reports to try to frame the party. He said he would sue anyone making allegations.

While Surapong claimed PPP had nothing to do with the distribution, party leader Samak Sundaravej said it had in fact distributed the VCDs, but it was done before the EC announced that former TRT executives could not help in campaigning.

Samak said earlier he had asked the EC whether the former executives could help in campaigning and it had agreed. So the VCDs, which were made to introduce the PPP, were distributed.

He said it was done even before Newin went on stage at an election rally. But distribution was stopped after the EC brought in the campaigning ban on the former executives.

"The clips are an old story," Samak insisted to reporters yesterday after launching 12 campaign caravans at his party's head office.

Source The Nation

That is the story flying around from all directions. The telling thing is those often sympathetic to PPP but not controlled by them are talking as though it is true as well and think it was a stupid move that will result in the PPP being screwed.

Well I guess the universal saying applies here “What goes around comes around.” If you take all the stories between Samak and whoever, there appears to be inconsistencies. Inconsistencies suggest misrepresentations, but whoever would think the PPP would make such deliberate misrepresentations? They are such a wholesome and moral group from a disbanded party.

All it will take is a few independent testimonies as to when they got the VCD and it is all over. A handful of people in Isaan who are not pro Thaksin could end it all for them.

That is the story flying around from all directions. The telling thing is those often sympathetic to PPP but not controlled by them are talking as though it is true as well and think it was a stupid move that will result in the PPP being screwed.

A shady figure from the past, Charnchai Ruayrungruang is actually a Chinese businessman, Yien Ping, who uses the Thai name in his business dealings involving Thailand.

Said to be a close associate and even a monetary proxy of Thaksin and other former TRT bigwigs, he was embroiled in the ASEAN Potash Mining scandal, in which Thaksin instituted changes to what was formerly a regional government cooperative that ended up with Yien Ping becoming a majority stockholder. The deal could bring him (or others he's working with) billions of baht and another case of Thaksin being accused that he misused his government position by stealing from the country and betraying fellow members of ASEAN by deliberately signing over management power in the company to Mr Yien.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/37567...d_of_democrats/

http://angkor.com/2bangkok/2bangkok/forum/...php/t-1060.html

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/02/01...l_19801352.html

Edited by sriracha john

Given the time considerations... if the party is dissolved AFTER the election, it will certainly prove to be even more interesting times than usual...

PPP will survive until poll

Any dissolution order must go to the court

The People Power Party cannot be dissolved before the Dec 23 election, even if it is found to have committed major electoral offences, according to the Election Commission, which meets tomorrow to rule on complaints brought against the party. There are more complaints about the PPP than any other party, but even if the EC recommends it be dissolved the matter is unlikely to be resolved before the general election. A key issue is the distribution of a videoclip in which deposed PM Thaksin Shinawatra urges northeasterners to vote for the PPP. If the EC finds the video violates political party and election laws, it would probably recommend the PPP be dissolved and forward the decision to the Constitution Court for approval, Election Commissioner Sumet Uppanisakorn said. However, there was no possibility the PPP could be disbanded before the election, he said. The process before the Constitution Court would take time. EC Secretary-General Suthiphon Thaveechaiygarn said the PPP faces the largest number of complaints about violations of election laws. Also on the table would be a complaint by the Puea Pandin Party that a PPP official had forged the signature of Puea Pandin candidate Sithichai Kwosurat on a PPP membership registration form.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/10Dec2007_news01.php

Meanwhile, Samak further proves he's no Thaksin...

Samak splits loyalties in TRT stronghold

He is no match for Thaksin, say loyalists

The House seats in Roi Et are likely to end up with several parties as constituents still love TRT founder Thaksin Shinawatra, but dislike his nominee Samak Sundaravej. Roi Et was once represented solely by the now-disbanded TRT Party. Suraporn Danaitangtrakul, former senator and a candidate for Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana in constituency 3, said, ''Villagers love Thaksin but they do not love PPP leader Samak. Not a single candidate in the Northeast uses Samak's picture on campaign publicity.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/10Dec2007_news08.php

image343439990000.jpg

EC to discuss legitimate of ex-PM's VCD messages

Election Commissioner Sumeth Upanisakorn states that the EC panel will meet Tuesday to discuss matters related to the use of VCD's, containing deposed Premier Thaksin Shinnawatra's speech's, in electoral vote campaigns.

Sumeth says that so far, the EC has not received any reports on the use of the VCD and the evidence unearthed cannot lead to penalties being imposed on the wrongdoers.

He says that the content of the VCD's will be closely examined and adds that the EC team will discuss whether the use of the VCD is against the election law. The EC commissioner said that the report on the case will be announced as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, EC Secretary-General Suttipon Taweechaikarn reveals that the EC is working around the clock to collect evidence related to the case in order to initiate lawsuits against wrongdoers. However, a final judgment has not been reached yet.

Today the EC hosted an operational training session for local community radio networks and related units to promote media impartiality in the up-coming election.

- Thailand Outlook

Given the time considerations... if the party is dissolved AFTER the election, it will certainly prove to be even more interesting times than usual...

Do the PPP actually WANT to give the military an excuse for a second coup ? Frightening thought !

A key issue is the distribution of a videoclip in which deposed PM Thaksin Shinawatra urges northeasterners to vote for the PPP.

Regardless of exactly when the film was made, before or after the election-announcement, it was certainly well after Thaksin had announced his permanent withdrawl from Thai politics in the interests of national unity & reconciliation. So it is a classic example of Thaksin duplicity. :o

Do the PPP actually WANT to give the military an excuse for a second coup ? Frightening thought !

A key issue is the distribution of a videoclip in which deposed PM Thaksin Shinawatra urges northeasterners to vote for the PPP.

Regardless of exactly when the film was made, before or after the election-announcement, it was certainly well after Thaksin had announced his permanent withdrawl from Thai politics in the interests of national unity & reconciliation. So it is a classic example of Thaksin duplicity. :o

You can call it duplicity if you like but politics is a tough old game in any country.Think how Blair froze out Gordon Brown from the PM position for years having promised a transfer of power.Think Clinton, Bush and Chirac dishonesty.Think the excesses of the Chinese, Singaporean,Malaysian regimes.Thaksin's VCD which I have seen is mild and unexceptional, and while supporting the PPP actually calls for reconciliation.Perhaps it's in conflict with the electoral law:I have no idea.Any honest observer knows the current system has been rigged.The Junta would like to neutalise the PPP but are running out of options as time speeds by.It's not that they lack the will to crush the majority's wishes just a lack of competence and possibly courage.

The point is that Thaksin remains by far the most popular politician in the country with a huge constituency, and cannot be whitewashed away. particularly by the likes of us - expatriates with too much time on our hands.It's just plain silly and I often laugh at myself as well as the more obsessive juntophiles for getting so hot under the collar.

Having said that I have little time for the man and am rooting for the Democrats.I remember well Thaksin's overbearing behaviour and vulgarity and disgraceful manipulation of the business landscape to suit his own interests.I remember the sinister behaviour of the police and security services under his regime for which he has not yet been charged (as opposed to the rather lightweight offences that he has been accused of).And yet unwittingly, possibly under the influence of the more liberal TRT leadership, he has transformed politics in Thailand forever - and earned the undying hatred of the ancien regime who know the clock is ticking for their privileged position.

Thaksin may remain by far the most popular politician for some, so did Kam Nan Poh, for years, and a string of other criminals in office. Sadly, many Thais seem to have a certain admiration for criminals and don't mind them to be their leaders or poo yais.

Edited by Tony Clifton

right you are....

Election Commission Secretary-General Sutthiphol Thawee-Chaikarn has disclosed that even if footage of ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra's speeches had been recorded before the royal election decree, the People Power Party will still be held responsible if they are found to have distributed video CDs of the speeches afterwards. Such an action would be deemed a violation of commission rules.

A senior election official said the party could face the maximum penalty of being dissolved if found guilty.

The controversial VCDs contain several video clips of the ex-premier addressing his supporters. One clip shows him urging voters to elect the People Power Party (PPP).

PPP Secretary-General Surapong Suebwonglee adamantly denied his party’s involvement with the distribution of the VCDs.

- ThaiNews

==============================================================================

Samak denies involvement in Thaksin VCDs

People Power Party Leader Samak Sundaravej has distanced himself and his party from the distribution of VCDs containing a message from ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra. “We are not involved with this in any way and I don’t want to talk about this again," Samak said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=124343

----------------------------------

So that's Noppadope, Surapong, and Samak all denying involvement. Will "N" do the same?

right you are....

Election Commission Secretary-General Sutthiphol Thawee-Chaikarn has disclosed that even if footage of ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra's speeches had been recorded before the royal election decree, the People Power Party will still be held responsible if they are found to have distributed video CDs of the speeches afterwards. Such an action would be deemed a violation of commission rules.

A senior election official said the party could face the maximum penalty of being dissolved if found guilty.

The controversial VCDs contain several video clips of the ex-premier addressing his supporters. One clip shows him urging voters to elect the People Power Party (PPP).

PPP Secretary-General Surapong Suebwonglee adamantly denied his party’s involvement with the distribution of the VCDs.

- ThaiNews

People Power Party Leader Samak Sundaravej has distanced himself and his party from the distribution of VCDs containing a message from ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra. “We are not involved with this in any way and I don’t want to talk about this again," Samak said.

So that's Noppadope, Surapong, and Samak all denying involvement. Will "N" do the same?

The best bit form the post story is:

He then urged Election Commission officials to amend the constitution, claiming that those who drafted it “have the full intention of creating unrest in the Kingdom.”

Clearly the pressure ids getting to Samak. Doesnt want to talk about it. Tries to link it to an unlinked case and then asks the election commission to ammend the constitution! He is going into total loose cannon mode and PPP could suffer from it. Yesterday his statements even seemed to indicaste PPP was linked to the VCD hand outs albeit slightly before the elction decree. This is getting weirder and Samak doesnt seem to handle the pressure at all well. Maybe theyll wheel out a better speaker soon or they will be in a total mess

right you are....

- ThaiNews

He then urged Election Commission officials to amend the constitution, claiming that those who drafted it “have the full intention of creating unrest in the Kingdom.”

I would be almost willing to bet cold cash that he said no such thing- or that this little snippet is totally taken out of context. He is not so stupid as to believe that the EC can ammend the constitution. (is he?) I think what we have here is one more piece of very sloppy journalism. It would indeed be horrifying to think that the man who might become the next PM does not even understand the mechanisms for ammending the constitution. Beyond horrifying- unbelievable. Literally. (interesting that the quote does not include the part where he urged the EC to ammend the constitution.)

Also switch the focus of the last sentenct from 'intent' to 'effect'- and the whole thrust is changed.

The press is at liberty to make anyone look foolish (or more foolish than they actually are) and given the fact that these statements are made in Thai and then translated into English- that job is made all the easier for them.

But then- on the other hand.... maybe- so I'll just keep my cash pocketed for now...

Edited by blaze

Regardless of exactly when the film was made, before or after the election-announcement, it was certainly well after Thaksin had announced his permanent withdrawl from Thai politics in the interests of national unity & reconciliation. So it is a classic example of Thaksin duplicity. :D

right you are....

- ThaiNews

I would be almost willing to bet cold cash that he said no such thing- or that this little snippet is totally taken out of context. He is not so stupid as to believe that the EC can ammend the constitution. (is he?) I think what we have here is one more piece of very sloppy journalism. It would indeed be horrifying to think that the man who might become the next PM does not even understand the mechanisms for ammending the constitution. Beyond horrifying- unbelievable. Literally. (interesting that the quote does not include the part where he urged the EC to ammend the constitution.)

Also switch the focus of the last sentenct from 'intent' to 'effect'- and the whole thrust is changed.

The press is at liberty to make anyone look foolish (or more foolish than they actually are) and given the fact that these statements are made in Thai and then translated into English- that job is made all the easier for them.

But then- on the other hand.... maybe- so I'll just keep my cash pocketed for now...

Hmmmm Samak is one of those Thai politicians renown for his "statements" so anything is possible. :o On the other hand he may live to rue the day he asked a journo who she had been sleeping with when asked a legitimate political question. On ething is for sure Samak lashes out like that when on the defensive.