Confrontation between villagers over draining of floodwater in Ayutthaya

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-2022-10-04T145840.698.png

Two groups of villagers in Thailand’s central province of Ayutthaya confronted each other today (Tuesday), over whether excess water should be drained into a water retention area in Pak Hai district.

The incident started when about 200 people from Bang Hak, Bang Luang and Wat Taku sub-districts of Bang Ban district gathered on a local road, linking Bang Ban with Pak Hai, to demand that irrigation officials drain excess water from their communities into the retention area in Pak Hai district, claiming that their villages have been flooded since August.

They claimed that the prolonged flooding has made their lives miserable, with their crops and property damaged, and that they have to use boats as the only way to get in and out of their villages.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/confrontation-between-villagers-over-draining-of-floodwater-in-ayutthaya/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-10-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, swm59nj said:

Shouldn’t be any confrontations like this to begin with.  The flood waters need to be receded for all involved everywhere with proper planning. 
Opps I forgot where I was.  

My place is marooned by the floods . Local  Thai gov;  came and laid some sand bags , gave us a tray of eggs and some sticky rice . Was OK for them as they had a truck that could drive through the 2 feet of water that enabled them to get to shops . My place is raised by 50 cm but the water is running in from nearby fields . We have ditches but they go nowhere , are blocked off , 1 at 30 meters long and the other at 200 metres . They are both full of water . So we have to wait for the weather to evaporate the water . My neighbours house has 18 inches of water inside . I managed to pump out water to the other side of the sandbags . Bloody nightmare . This is more rain than there were 10 years ago because although our soi was flooded , the water did not come into the driveway of our house . In the UK the Fire Service and private contractors will come and pump out the water and take it away . Not here in another world .  Also people forget that flood water contain not only vermin and snakes but also faeces . urine and harmful diseases as is being  seen now in Pakistan .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swm59nj said:

Shouldn’t be any confrontations like this to begin with.  The flood waters need to be receded for all involved everywhere with proper planning. 
Opps I forgot where I was.  

Behave yourself in future..????

• Haha 1