Great Architect

thaimat

A year ago I decided to have a music studio designed to be built separate from my house here in Pattaya. Did my research on energy saving, and acoustic materials, then set about looking for an architect. Should be a simple job, one room of 10x9x3 meters. NOT! Three different architects told me it couldn't be built without massive steel girders, so they wouldn't design it. I guess the reason being the standard Thai room is app. 4x9, so anything larger had to have center columns, and I wanted a completely open spaced room, no columns or posts other than inside the walls.

The man whose company built my pool, did a fantastic job, on time, on budget, and heavy-duty constructed, gave me the name of his architect. By this time I had little hope, but called him nonetheless. His name is Nattaphong Maneerat, his "little name" is Fluke, (pronounced <deleted>), and when he showed up I was surprisingly hopeful immediately. A small built chap with a beaming smile, and a sharp mind and wit, he listened carefully to my description of what I wanted. Though he had never designed a room so large without center posts as far as I could tell, he immediately started drawing while he put his mind to the task. Within the hour, he had come up with a rough, quick design, but more importantly, had the structural problem of supporting the roof properly without center posts, solved. The next week he brought me a color print of the exterior design, just to get an idea if I liked the look. It was precisely as I had described it to him, so we agreed to do business. Two weeks later he brought a detailed plan, to which I made some minor changes. Off he went, this polite, effusively happy man, leaving me feeling very confident I had found an intelligent, diligent, commitment honoring professional with whom it was a pleasure to do business with. Ten days later I had a detailed and precise 17 page architectural plan. He arranged with a structural engineer he works with, to get a structural engineer plan from. Two weeks later he brought that, all 24 pages of it.

As I wanted to do this all 100% legal, the next step was the Aw Bu Daw, which I had read would cost me a percentage of the construction budget. Not the case! Khun <deleted> took the plans to the official, and a week later my wife took a bottle of Johnny Walker to him as a pre thank you offering. It took 6 weeks to get the plan back all approved, but at no further costs. Khun <deleted> stayed in touch with the official all along, and picked up and delivered the approved plans for/to us.

It was, after dealing with many here who see farangs as a walking atm, a joy to work with this guy. He kept in constant touch, gave me what I asked for, honored all his commitments, and my costs from start to finish, for everything including the government approval, was B30,000. I have more upcoming building projects, and will gladly use Khun <deleted> for all of them. I give him an unconditional recommendation.

His email is [email protected], and [email protected] ph #s are 086-828-44565, fax is 038-706-371

Edited by thaimat

Thaimat,

Just to say thank you for your information which is very comforting. Not only farang has the problem of getting a right architect, the Thais are also suffering from this unregulated world.

A year ago I decided to have a music studio designed to be built separate from my house here in Pattaya. Did my research on energy saving, and acoustic materials, then set about looking for an architect. Should be a simple job, one room of 10x9x3 meters. NOT! Three different architects told me it couldn't be built without massive steel girders, so they wouldn't design it. I guess the reason being the standard Thai room is app. 4x9, so anything larger had to have center columns, and I wanted a completely open spaced room, no columns or posts other than inside the walls.

The man whose company built my pool, did a fantastic job, on time, on budget, and heavy-duty constructed, gave me the name of his architect. By this time I had little hope, but called him nonetheless. His name is Nattaphong Maneerat, his "little name" is Fluke, (pronounced <deleted>), and when he showed up I was surprisingly hopeful immediately. A small built chap with a beaming smile, and a sharp mind and wit, he listened carefully to my description of what I wanted. Though he had never designed a room so large without center posts as far as I could tell, he immediately started drawing while he put his mind to the task. Within the hour, he had come up with a rough, quick design, but more importantly, had the structural problem of supporting the roof properly without center posts, solved. The next week he brought me a color print of the exterior design, just to get an idea if I liked the look. It was precisely as I had described it to him, so we agreed to do business. Two weeks later he brought a detailed plan, to which I made some minor changes. Off he went, this polite, effusively happy man, leaving me feeling very confident I had found an intelligent, diligent, commitment honoring professional with whom it was a pleasure to do business with. Ten days later I had a detailed and precise 17 page architectural plan. He arranged with a structural engineer he works with, to get a structural engineer plan from. Two weeks later he brought that, all 24 pages of it.

As I wanted to do this all 100% legal, the next step was the Aw Bu Daw, which I had read would cost me a percentage of the construction budget. Not the case! Khun <deleted> took the plans to the official, and a week later my wife took a bottle of Johnny Walker to him as a pre thank you offering. It took 6 weeks to get the plan back all approved, but at no further costs. Khun <deleted> stayed in touch with the official all along, and picked up and delivered the approved plans for/to us.

It was, after dealing with many here who see farangs as a walking atm, a joy to work with this guy. He kept in constant touch, gave me what I asked for, honored all his commitments, and my costs from start to finish, for everything including the government approval, was B30,000. I have more upcoming building projects, and will gladly use Khun <deleted> for all of them. I give him an unconditional recommendation.

His email is [email protected], and [email protected] ph #s are 086-828-44565, fax is 038-706-371

Sorry about the ph number typo, his mobile is 086-828-4565

How did K. <deleted> support the roof?

Can you tell us how much the room cost - foundation, walls, windows, doors,roof, painting, plumbing, aircon, etc?

Tammi,

I am pricing materials as we speak, so when I have the numbes, I shall post them for you.

K.<deleted> supported the roof over a 10x9 meter expanse by adjusting the pitch for added support/strength, and using lightweight, high strength materials such as "Smartboard". I can't tell you if it's the same as "Smartboard" made in Canada, yet. I'll know more of the materials details as I price the stuff here, and shall post them.

Thaimat,

Just to say thank you for your information which is very comforting. Not only farang has the problem of getting a right architect, the Thais are also suffering from this unregulated world.

Too true, Irene. A Thai neighbor is building a slightly larger than medium house now, and the "architect" they used designed it in what I see as typical style. I counted more than 30 posts, not including perimeter wall ones, located all over the place, making it appear, to me, that he didn't really know what he was doing, so to be "safe" he put posts everywhere. Consequently there's lots of tiny rooms, and there will be a virtual maze inside, once walls are erected. A truly bad, mad design.

Too true, Irene. A Thai neighbor is building a slightly larger than medium house now, and the "architect" they used designed it in what I see as typical style. I counted more than 30 posts, not including perimeter wall ones, located all over the place, making it appear, to me, that he didn't really know what he was doing, so to be "safe" he put posts everywhere. Consequently there's lots of tiny rooms, and there will be a virtual maze inside, once walls are erected. A truly bad, mad design.

thaimat,

Wow! Good to know, thanks!

Cheers!