Tourist Visa Extension Questions

Johpa

It has been many. many years since I have had a need to visit Thai immigration to extend a visa or for any other reason.  Alas the Thai e-visa system failed me over a trivial typo and they just took my money and told me to reapply.  So I will arrive and get a 30 day visa on arrival but will need to get an extension as I am intending to stay for about 60 days.  Am I able to get a 30 day extension at CNX immigration?  Is there any word on the bridge at Mae Sai reopening for visa runs?  Also, I read that Thailand would be granting 45 day visas on arrival but can't seem to verify that.  Thanks in advance.

And yes, after nearly a decade, I am back.

Happy Trails

Johpa

Between October 1st and March 30th, you'll get visa exempt entry of 45 days (it's simply an exempt entry and it's not any type of visa).  And, yes, you can extend for another 30 days at CM Immigration for 1,900 baht and some paperwork.  Would recommend going for your 30-day extension 10+ days before your 45-day exempt time expires just in case you run into a paperwork problem (not likely but it could happen).

Mae Sai border is not currently open for farang but, then again, you certainly don't need to do a border run if you're only staying 60 days.

19 minutes ago, CMBob said:

...Would recommend going for your 30-day extension 10+ days before your 45-day exempt time expires just in case you run into a paperwork problem (not likely but it could happen).

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Chiang Mai Immigration issue extensions from the date of application rather than the end of your existing stamp? If you go 10 day early aren't you going to shorten your stay from 45+30 to 35+30?

9 minutes ago, night_rider said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Chiang Mai Immigration issue extensions from the date of application rather than the end of your existing stamp? If you go 10 day early aren't you going to shorten your stay from 45+30 to 35+30?

Don't believe so.....the 30 day extension will be tacked onto the end of the visa exempt time period.  When one converts to a Non-O (from an exempt or tourist visa), the Non-O will run from either the date of application or within a week or so after the date of application.  And, as you know, annual extensions (based on retirement or whatever) will run from the date of expiration of your current permission to stay or extension even if you apply for it 30-45 days before the expiration date.

Edited by CMBob

I allways wonder why people, what ha been 'many times' in Thailand, don't konw anything about immigration.

They don.t know from october, you get 45 days excemption, they don't know you very easy can extend a visum excemption... I won der what they know.

I think they just want to let us know they are commimg to Thailand ......

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, easydoor said:

I allways wonder why people, what ha been 'many times' in Thailand, don't konw anything about immigration.

They don.t know from october, you get 45 days excemption, they don't know you very easy can extend a visum excemption... I won der what they know.

Maybe it’s been 10 years since he’s been here. Maybe those with messed up elementary grammar don’t know anything either ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, easydoor said:

Uh, I have not had any issues getting an appropriate visa in decades and usually got a Non-O 90-day visa.  And I have family and friends up towards Mae Sai so extending a visa via a bridge run was always an easy option choice.  Alas, this upcoming trip I will be pressed for time more than previous trips due to a family wedding.  I believe the 45 day visa on arrival is a relatively recent change that needed confirmation.  And rest assured, before covid I had either been living in CNX or visiting annually for a few months at a time for about 40 years and never bothered to notify others about my impending arrival and in fact have been totally absent from ThaiVIsa for about a decade until yesterday due to some imperial entanglements that kept getting me banned.  As for what I know, well I have probably forgot more than most people here know and so now I do have some holes in my knowledge which need to be filled in.  But I see ThaiVisa has not lost its cantankerous charm.