UK Passport renewals - documentation needed

Just applied for a UK passport renewal for my son requiring an appointment and visit to Trendy Building. 

We had to fly in from Ubon to do this. 

Unexpected twist is that they now require translated copy of house-book, national ID or drivers license.  This is not mentioned as part of the documention to bring but apparently, your address needs to be checked/verified.  Lucky we had a copy of housebook on mobile.

Sad part of the story is that, although the payment form offers 2 options with one being to pay extra for the Passport to be sent to you, this option is no longer available.  Passports must now be picked up requiring another round-trip from Ubon.

My question is why do they need a translated version of address if they don't use it to send out the passport?????

1 hour ago, AlbionThailand said:

Unexpected twist is that they now require translated copy of house-book, national ID or drivers license. 

Never seen that published anywhere.

1 hour ago, AlbionThailand said:

Passport to be sent to you, this option is no longer available. 

Nor that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlbionThailand said:

My question is why do they need a translated version of address if they don't use it to send out the passport?????

"...why do they need a translated version of address".

How about in order to confirm the applicants address in Thailand. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

Unexpected twist is that they now require translated copy of house-book, national ID or drivers license.  This is not mentioned as part of the documention to bring but apparently...

Supplying a translation has been a requirement for many years. It is mentioned here:

image.png

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passports-guidance/applying-for-a-passport-from-outside-the-uk-guidance-notes-accessible#docs

Sad part of the story is that, although the payment form offers 2 options with one being to pay extra for the Passport to be sent to you, this option is no longer available.  Passports must now be picked up

The UK passport website says that the courier fee is to send the passport to the application centre where you applied, not to your home (which is a shame).

image.png

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/child

4 minutes ago, pontious said:
12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How about in order to confirm the applicants address in Thailand. 

If they do not post it anywhere what is the point.

D'you think that perhaps it could be part of the confirmation of the applicant's identity.  When I renewed my passport I had to provide evidence of my address here, I'm sure that everyone else has to, also.

On 10/15/2022 at 8:13 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

D'you think that perhaps it could be part of the confirmation of the applicant's identity.  When I renewed my passport I had to provide evidence of my address here, I'm sure that everyone else has to, also.

This strikes me as a totally pointless requirement which I can only assume that those clowns in HMPO have dreamt up with the sole and avowed aim of making the already cumbersome passport renewal process just as awkward and inconvenient as is humanly possible. The requirement for an applicant to produce their existing passport before their replacement one was released to them, should, I would have thought, more than suffice for identity confirmation purposes as far as HMPO were concerned.

Edited by OJAS

3 minutes ago, hansombeast said:

I renewed mine in 2015 and they required it then, I had to go down to a translation company downstairs so they could verify the address from my Thai driving license. Next time I will have a document prepared.

Technically, the DL address would only be acceptable if it was issued in the last 6? months (as per instructions).

The reality is that UKPO are quite helpful and have previously confirmed that they will accept a signed copy of a partners ID/Passport stating "I confirm that Mr A lives with me at....".

• Like 1