Thai Dishes Fail To Fly

sceadugenga

Thai dishes fail to fly

By Amornrat Mahitthirook

Bangkok Post

Thai food is one of the most popular in the world, but THAI food, by Thai Airways International, has got a solid thumbs-down by international flyers.

The poor quality of the food served by Thai Airways International (known by the acronym THAI) tops the list of complaints among passengers using the national flag carrier, according to the airline.

The list of passenger complaints for April, which recently reached Transport Minister Theera Haocharoen, pits the airline's meals at the top of the five most common complaints.

"What passengers complained most about were meals which did not live up expectations, especially on outbound flights from Bangkok. That was followed by complaints they did not receive special meals as requested," the survey says.

In-flight entertainment was second on the list of areas where the airline could improve, followed by attitude and performance of cabin crew, baggage handling on arrival, and defects or malfunctions of cabin equipment.

No in-seat TVs on aircraft was the second most common complaint. Passengers were also not happy with crew who were impolite or unwilling to perform their duties, it adds.

The airline compiles complaints and commendations every month. The April version is the latest report available.

Some ministers complained about THAI's in-flight service during the cabinet meeting last week, Adm Theera said. The minister said THAI must do better.

THAI president Apinan Sumanseni admitted to the problems and said THAI is trying to improve all services, which could take about three months.

Wasn't sure whether to put this in food, travel or news. What do you think of the food on THAI? Or in any Airline cattle class for that matter.

Have never travelled long haul on THAI but do so on BA between BKK and London and then on to the Caribbean. I find them to be very good. The food is good, service is generally good and the one time that my in seat TV screen didn't work, they gave me a gift from their duty free brochure up to a value of 20 pounds.

The 747's they fly out of BKK are uncomfortable with the seats fitted very close together but the 777 aircraft they fly to Barbados from London are very roomy and comfortable. Plus, the baggage allowance between Lon and the Caribbean is two pieces or 50kg for economy passengers. If I fly from Asia with them, they guarantee me the 50kg per passenger on all sectors of the journey. Can't beat that for baggage allowance from this part of the world. They get my business for that alone.

Wasn't sure whether to put this in food, travel or news. What do you think of the food on THAI? Or in any Airline cattle class for that matter.

Personally, I've never had any issues with their food or service or aircraft on short or long haul flights on Thai. My girl's daughter loves the little snack pack that I get when I fly BKK-PHS. I save it for her and she eats it on the way home.

If flying other than biz or 1st, does anyone really care that much about the food? Maybe, maybe not. As one who has done my share of long haul flying in coach, the food is usually the last thing I'm thinking about. If I'm leaving BKK, then I'm going to get some good food before I go. If I'm going to BKK, then I'm going to wait until I get there and go have a nice meal. Maybe it's different for a family on a budget who are expecting to be well fed on the plane.

{As far as any airline goes, I used to dread the cheese pizza smell on American Airlines economy class to/from Heathrow. I like AA a great deal and the 777 is a wonderful aircraft, but just the thought that the pizza smell was coming about two hours before landing would set me off. The aroma would permeate the entire cabin.} :o

It's funny, I'm a Kris Club member with Singapore Airlines and their service is great, and don't get me wrong, the food is ok, but I'm sick of it. The temptation to turn up with a cut lunch.... sandwich, fruit, some snacks, is really getting to me.

It's funny, I'm a Kris Club member with Singapore Airlines and their service is great, and don't get me wrong, the food is ok, but I'm sick of it. The temptation to turn up with a cut lunch.... sandwich, fruit, some snacks, is really getting to me.

I agree.

I used to fly with Canadian Pacific and every starter was always pate !

I suppose it's healthier to snack,but I still feel tempted when you see someone getting their food.

:o Wiley Coyote