3000 baht for marriage registration

clarky cat

As far as I know, there is actually no official fee for marriage registration. Some Amphurs impose their own fees - presumably for their 'social fund'.

However, 3000 is clearly tea money - ask for an official receipt and tell them you wish to take photos of the money changing hands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually without knowing the details it is hard to judge - perhaps price is all inclusive with less (or no) external paperwork required.  The "one day" comment seems strange as normally it is only about an hour if you have paperwork required.

Edited by lopburi3

13 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Just do at another Amphur.  Don't ask for trouble.

My comments were intended to be 'tongue' in cheek. Your suggestion is of course, the way to go.

I'm not sure what's been going on for the last few years but Amphur's seem less and less ready to register Thai/Foreign marriages.  Bangrak, by far the most popular with foreigners in Bangkok has introduced an appointment system and will only marry 5 (I think its 5) Thai/Foreign couples per day. Last time I was there, they had a 2 week waiting list.

Gone are the days where you just turn up and do it - it seems.  Whether there are real reasons for this I know not - far be it from me to suggest they may be making it difficult to solicit 'inducements.

12 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually without knowing the details it is hard to judge - perhaps price is all inclusive with less (or no) external paperwork required. 

After the fake affirmations scandal a few years back, I doubt any Amphur manager would dare to risk that.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

After the fake affirmations scandal a few years back, I doubt any Amphur manager would dare to risk that.

I did not mean without the Embassy letter - but seems other documents are being asked these days that were not previously required like passport translations/registration or such and office might be able to help with that.

As for Bang Rak - they are even more busy with Thai marriages as it is the most popular place to register (for the name).  They have always been overcrowded so expect the queue system is to make it work.  I recall it was like sitting in a movie hall when tried to use several decades ago.

8 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

did not mean without the Embassy letter - but seems other documents are being asked these days that were not previously required like passport translations/registration or such and office might be able to help with that.

Passport translations and certifications have always been the rule but as you mention, they are now being asked for.  This all stems from an Amphur manager being found to have accepted (maybe unkowingly) fake documents a few years ago. That manager was fired and all other Amphurs told to apply the rules fully. Some refused to accept foreign marriages for a while because they have no way of knowing what's real and what's fake.  I think that situation has calmed down now but it seems some offices have seen it as a way to earn money.

• 1 year later...