Long Covid

Chris.B

Does anyone here suffer from Long Covid?

I have suffered for about 4-5 months. Symptoms are Nausea, Lack of Appetite, Diarrhea and Tiredness/Lack of Power. I have been checked out at a private hospital a couple of months ago and came back with a clean bill of health!

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with it?

• Like 1

How do you know that's long covid?  have you checked vitamin b12? usually it's not included in the package blood test, worth checking if vegan\vegetarian

I have long covid head spin, only reason i know it's long covid is it came on the day i got covid, just needs time to go

@ChrisB 

Did you have covid already? 

Did you have the same symptoms you describe during the illness or different ones?

Did 'long covid' manifest right after the illness or weeks/months later? 

Did you get the vax?...side-effects can be severe.

Being a new illness, not much literature around.

Edited by VinnieK

I started with aches and pains 3 months ago. I was tested for covid and was negative. A few weeks later I had a cold, then pneumonia, then a really bad cold. I have been through all the symptoms you’ve described and have started to return to full health. Usually I recover after a week , so all I can suggest is give it time and think positively.

I still have no clue what the difference is between cold symptoms and C-19 symptoms, or any other symptoms that overlap. Complicated and never resolved after 25 years + of having permanent mucus in my nasal cavities. Permanent to a point where I’m gasping for air on occasions when it hits hard.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, VinnieK said:

@ChrisB 

Did you have covid already? 

Did you have the same symptoms you describe during the illness or different ones?

Did 'long covid' manifest right after the illness or weeks/months later? 

Did you get the vax?...side-effects can be severe.

Being a new illness, not much literature around.

I had Covid about 2 months previous with hardly any symptoms.

I got covid two months ago... I got super dizzy , fatigue , runny stuffy nose, loss of smell.  It was pretty bad like a flu but no throat or breathing problems.

The fatigue has improved with excercise and in just the last three weeks has gone away. I took ginseng and coffee mixed wich seemed to help. 

I had some nausea and dizzy spells that would come and go but went away after 3 weeks negative.

My smell is still not 100% but has greatly improved. I lost it for a while and it slowly is coming back daily.. I finally smelled one of my farts and a tear came to my eye.

Long covid sucks and it took a while to feel better. I think running and excercise helped me greatly. 

• Like 1

An interesting article from The Atlantic recently that suggests a lot of what generically has been called "Long COVID" ends up being what the author calls "Medium COVID."

In other words, the term "Long COVID has been used broadly to describe a range of post infection symptoms --  sometimes lasting weeks, sometimes lasting months to a year, and supposedly, very rarely longer than that. But that the majority of the highest risk period seems to be in the months immediately following infection.

Medium COVID Could Be the Most Dangerous COVID

After you’re infected, the first few months may pose the greatest risks.

"As the pandemic drags on, data have emerged to clarify the dangers posed by COVID across the weeks, months, and years that follow an infection. Taken together, their implications are surprising. Some people’s lives are devastated by long COVID; they’re trapped with perplexing symptoms that seem to persist indefinitely. For the majority of vaccinated people, however, the worst complications will not surface in the early phase of disease, when you’re first feeling feverish and stuffy, nor can the gravest risks be said to be “long term.” Rather, they emerge during the middle phase of post-infection, a stretch that lasts for about 12 weeks after you get sick. This period of time is so menacing, in fact, that it really ought to have its own, familiar name: medium COVID."

(more)

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/10/covid-symptoms-medium-term-post-infection-complications/671684/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

The data is saying long COVID is far more prevalent among the unvaccinated than people who were vaccinated. Of course, such data is anathema to the anti-vaxxers.

In the most vulnerable age group, vaccinated. My COVID lasted 3 days, I was back to my normal exercise routines in a week. My only long COVID symptom is increased impatience with antivaxxers, anti-fluoride campaigners, and Russian trolls. The gulls who think Trump won.

Yes, I am a statistical sample of one. Two,if you count an unvaccinated friend who experienced fatigue and mental confusion for a couple of months after being infected.

AFAIK the only treatment process thus far is rest, and availing oneself of whatever rehabilitation services are available. Add in a determined attitude to recovery.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I suffered Covid  almost 2 months ago. I had slight symptoms but tested positive for 7 days.  Last year I was diagnosed with sciatica. Since Covid I have been becoming more exhausted with very little movement. With more pain in the muscles of my left leg. This leg is where I suffered  the sciatic pain. As a result of this exhaustion my temperament has been has been effected. In the early 2000s I was diagnosed with depression. Very similar to what I am like now. I am 69. I have been to doctors and they say long Covid.  There are many other  symptoms as per Google for long Covid. This is  my guess. Does Covid attack previous parts of your body that have been affect by other diseases?

I have had 3 Covid vaccinations

Edited by ripstanley
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

"In rare cases, coronavirus vaccines may cause Long Covid–like symptoms."

https://www.science.org/content/article/rare-cases-coronavirus-vaccines-may-cause-long-covid-symptoms

From the above cited Science journal article:

"By January 2021, researchers at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) began to hear about such reports and sought to learn more, bringing Brianne Dressen and other affected people to the agency’s headquarters for testing and sometimes treatment.

The research was small in scale and drew no conclusions about whether or how vaccines may have caused rare, lasting health problems. The patients had “temporal associations” between vaccination and their faltering health, says Avindra Nath, clinical director at the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), who has been leading the NIH efforts. But “an etiological association? I don’t know.” In other words, he does not know whether vaccination directly caused the subsequent health problems."

I got it in March `20 and I`m just getting back to normal now . Felt really tired with bad headaches for the first week , then almost back to normal , but then for the last few months I still get headaches and sweating .

One of the most disconcerting symptoms was the inability to think clearly - I remember driving round a roundabout about 4 times because I couldn't remember which exit to take .

I`ve talked to other people who confirmed that loss of mental capacity is a symptom - let`s hope it doesn`t come back .

• Like 1

A mild COVID infection changed my life. Why aren't we warning others?

In March 2020 I contracted a mild COVID infection. I had just turned 30, was in perfect health and living “my best life.” The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told me it would take two weeks to bounce back.

But it’s been 2½ years, and I’ve spent my entire 30s disabled by a post-infection illness — housebound and barely holding onto what little I can of my former life. I truly cannot relay the misery. 

Earlier this year, the CDC released a study indicating that 1 in 5 people with COVID may develop long COVID. It is now understood to be the most common serious outcome from an infection and can leave patients with an array of debilitating symptoms for months to years. The CDC’s findings were corroborated by the U.S. Census Bureau, which found 20 million Americans are living with symptoms lasting three or more months after infection that they didn’t have prior, and according to data released by the CDC this month, 81%  of people with long COVID report difficulty with doing daily activities.

(more)

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/mild-infection-long-covid-17523630.php

1601579383_SanFranciscoChronicle.jpg.6598ffc60eaaf5f886ed1b362405153f.jpg

• Like 2

15% of US COVID-19 survivors still have symptoms after a year

A study of more than 16,000 American COVID-19 survivors reveals that 15% still had symptoms 2 months later to 1 year later, but those who were vaccinated were less likely than unvaccinated participants to report such symptoms. The research was published [Thursday] in JAMA Network Open.

The most common symptoms were fatigue (52.2%), followed by loss of smell (43.7%), "brain fog" (40.4%), and shortness of breath (39.7%); 45.7% reported either memory loss or brain fog. Women were significantly more likely than men to report loss of smell (46.4% vs 35.3%), cognitive symptoms (48.7% vs 36.3%), anxiety (30.8% vs 22.3%), and sleep disruption (32.4% vs 22.5%).

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/10/15-us-covid-19-survivors-still-have-symptoms-after-year

CIDRAP.jpg.6ee3eafabeeaae69f7204aba32561061.jpg

Source study:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2797782

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2022 at 1:00 PM, Chris.B said:

I had Covid about 2 months previous with hardly any symptoms.

Long covid is real and I know many that have it. Also a new covid is around, it is making people puke for days, they think it comes from China. What a country as they just keep giving.