Word Unlicensed Product

scorecard

Yesterday I tried to continue to write a long Word document. Nothing happpens. I type letters/word again and again, nothing appear on the screen.

Then I noticed at the top of the page:  The file name plus 'Word Unlicensed Product'.

Acer notebook, new about 3 years old. Shop (Banana) installed everything and from my understanding I paid for legal version. Never before any issue before with office etc.

Any suggestions how to repaair or perhaps how to buy/get free new Word facility, very much appreciated. 

I'm in Chiang Mai, If any members can suggest a shop perhaps at Pantip, or anywhere, who are wizards with this stuff I'm happy to pay a reasonable fee.

Thanks.

37 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

100% agree! Great. I use it on Windows and Linux. 

Can the Excel version read and write xls and xlsx files? Are there any problems regarding compatibility for simple Excel sheets? Do you know a free Android version? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mickeymaus said:

Can the Excel version read and write xls and xlsx files? Are there any problems regarding compatibility for simple Excel sheets? Do you know a free Android version? 

I do very little (hardly anything) with spreadsheets. However, I've never encountered any issues. I don't have an Android tablet and wouldn't use spreadsheets on my Android 'phone. I use the free Google and Microsoft apps too and Libre Office seems compatible with either/both.

40 minutes ago, scorecard said:

but theyI've just downloaded  https://www.libreoffice.org

But now I can't find it. 

Also, the document I was working on Using MS Word which locked, how can I insert that into the Word version from libreoffice?

I'm using Ubuntu at the moment. No issues with repositories and Libre Office is installed and working OK. Everything seems to be there for download https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download-libreoffice/

I use torrent when on Windows and it's always very fast. Libre Office should be able to open your document if it's possible and then you can choose to 'save as' Word 2007-365 .docx'

If you sign up for Stack Social, there are lots of offers for Microsoft Office. 

https://stacksocial.com/search?utf8=✓&query=Microsoft+Office

Including this one:

https://stacksocial.com/sales/microsoft-office-professional-plus-2021-for-windows

Bear in mind to read any small print, as lifetime might only mean for the lifetime of that version. I don't know as I haven't read it.

Edited by phetphet

20 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I do very little (hardly anything) with spreadsheets. However, I've never encountered any issues. I don't have an Android tablet and wouldn't use spreadsheets on my Android 'phone. I use the free Google and Microsoft apps too and Libre Office seems compatible with either/both.

When I bought my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 there was a lot of "useless" bloatware pre-installed. One of it was OfficeSuite. It can do Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Works perfectly. Has only the disadvantage that you have to pay if you want to save Excel in the old xls format. It can read it for free. Xlsx is no problem but on my computer I have Office 2003 ☺️☺️☺️ that cannot handle xlsx. Okay, there is free online conversion from xlsx to xls available.

This OfficeSuite "useless" bloatware still works on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus too????????????. But I don't need Excel on a daily basis otherwise there would be a better version than Office 2003 on my computer.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Are you using the version held on your computer or the version that's part of "One Drive" that's connected to the cloud from your computer? 

Actually I don't know.

How can I tell and what's the importance? Appreciate help to learn.

I just went right back to file explorer and clicked on the original Word document.

Then I got a prompt if I wanted to OPEN the old document using OfficeLibre or use the Office version to open the file?

I clicked on 'OfficeLibre'. I a few seconds all done and now on my desktop with a very big variety of options etc., across the top of the page.

And I can edit/add to the file and save/saveas.

Thanks again for mentioning 'OfficeLibre' as a possible solution. 

Time to stop panicking and complete the document and despatch it.  

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

I just went right back to file explorer and clicked on the original Word document.

Then I got a prompt if I wanted to OPEN the old document using OfficeLibre or use the Office version to open the file?

I clicked on 'OfficeLibre'. I a few seconds all done and now on my desktop with a very big variety of options etc., across the top of the page.

And I can edit/add to the file and save/saveas.

Thanks again for mentioning 'OfficeLibre' as a possible solution. 

Time to stop panicking and complete the document and despatch it.  

Glad you got yourself sorted and thanks for reporting back. Sometimes the solution is very easy when you have the correct software and the confidence to 'have a go'. 

On 10/31/2022 at 8:01 PM, scorecard said:

Actually I don't know.

How can I tell and what's the importance? Appreciate help to learn.

Sounds like your sorted out and working. If you want to know about the "one drive" feature send me a pm and I'll review it with you. I have an Acer as well

On 10/31/2022 at 7:23 PM, Dan O said:

Are you using the version held on your computer or the version that's part of "One Drive" that's connected to the cloud from your computer? 

This might be the issue or something like it. Maybe you opened a document and it redirected to an app that wasn't licensed then when you go back to the licensed version it appears unlicensed.

Try to log in again.

If you never had a login it was probably unlicensed from day 1.

Libre Office I'd read got a facelift but I never liked the interface. It got you by and the price was right but MS office is solid. I'd use Google docs before libre office myself.

6 minutes ago, BonMot said:

This might be the issue or something like it. Maybe you opened a document and it redirected to an app that wasn't licensed then when you go back to the licensed version it appears unlicensed.

Try to log in again.

If you never had a login it was probably unlicensed from day 1.

Libre Office I'd read got a facelift but I never liked the interface. It got you by and the price was right but MS office is solid. I'd use Google docs before libre office myself.

I've already downloaded LibreOffice and used it quite successfully. No bumps, so far so good.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Glad you got yourself sorted and thanks for reporting back. Sometimes the solution is very easy when you have the correct software and the confidence to 'have a go'. 

Thanks, yes I'm a happy camper.

Coming soon I need to make about 20 PP slides for a masters lecture in Ho Chi Minh City, hopefully without any bumps.