New Regulation Allowing Foreigners To Buy Land Withdrawn: Anupong

webfact

Very surprised they even allow foreigners to own condos given the hoops one has to jump through annually, every 3 months and reporting one's whereabouts travelling for a holiday to stay in a different place, all just to stay long term in the country.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

is being withdrawn to study this sensitive issue

Mission accomplished, a new committee will now be set up.

Jobs and perks for the boys.

The new Gravy Train, Slowly pulls out of the station.

TIT. 

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 2

Good. Its just allowed the filthy rich foreign interests to suck up Thai land.
I'd name names, but you can't, so I won't.
Long-term leases are in Thailand's interest and you don't particularly have to be a millionaire to lease land for your natural life-span.  Foreign ownership?  Not a good idea if Thailand wants to remain sovereign. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Has now officially been withdrawn:

(1/2) BREAKING: PM Gen Prayut confirms Tues after Cabinet meeting that last month's Cabinet proposal to amend the Interior Ministry regulations that would allow foreigners to own up to 1 rai of land if they invest 40 million baht per year for 3 years has been withdrawn. #Thailand

(2/2) The administration came under heavy criticisms over the past weeks that they're literally "selling off" Thai land. Interior Minister Gen Anupong Paojinda said earlier today they will explore the matter further in details and may revive it in the future, however.

The funny thing is that liberalizing and strengthening condo laws would do far more at bringing long term expats in than this wild eyed scheme ever could.

The only rich people that would come here are exactly the kinds you don't want. Case in point news items about Chinese over past two weeks.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Laphroaig27 said:

The funny thing is that liberalizing and strengthening condo laws would do far more at bringing long term expats in than this wild eyed scheme ever could.

The only rich people that would come here are exactly the kinds you don't want. Case in point news items about Chinese over past two weeks.

I doubt there will be any liberalizing condo laws. Expect the opposite. I would not be buying now. Selling maybe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

Long-term leases are in Thailand's interest and you don't particularly have to be a millionaire to lease land for your natural life-span.  Foreign ownership?  Not a good idea if Thailand wants to remain sovereign. 

It's not hundreds of acres of prime residential or industrial land it's 1(ONE!) rai of land for the investor's own residential property that they will live in.

To think that Thailand will lose control of vast areas of the country is seriously deluded considering only 8, yes EIGHT, takers have invested 40 million bht since 2003 in the last hairbrained scheme to own sacred Thai soil.

Edited by edwinchester
  • Like 1

To be fair, the identical reciprocating policy should apply for Thais owning land or property in other countries. 

If a Thai can't buy land in China, then Chinese can't buy land in Thailand.

If a Canadian can't buy land in Thailand, then a Thai can't buy land in Canada, and so on.

Problem solved.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

draft ministerial regulation allowing four categories of foreigners to buy maximum one rai of land for residential purposes is being withdrawn

OMG

Do i now wait or return the 100MB that was sent last week to buy 1 rai of land..

On 11/8/2022 at 12:39 PM, connda said:

Agreed but what are they going to do with the Chinese who are slowly, in their inimitable way, taking over?