Zubiri lashes out vs chilling effect, urges media to help 'beautify' image of PH

snoop1130

zubiri_2022-07-24_22-14-56.jpg

In this March 2, 2020 photo, Sen. Miguel Zubiri listens to a resource person at a hearing by the Senate Committee on Cooperatives about concerns of the Cooperative Development Authority over the implementation of its charter.

Office of Sen. Zubiri

MANILA, Philippines — Senate President Juan Miguel Zubiri appealed to members of the media to help beautify the image of the Philippines after the United Nations Human Rights Committee called out the government over its "war on drugs" and the chilling effect of media killings on press freedom.

This came after the Committee expressed concern that the controversial Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 was being used to “legitimize the targeting of government critics, human rights defenders and journalists, including through ‘red-tagging,’ and consequent chilling effects on freedoms of expression, peaceful assembly and association.”

"I appeal to the media, tulungan niyo naman kami na pagandahin ang imahe ng Pilipinas. Katulad noong Percy Lapid na iyan, Nahuli na nga iyong bumaril at mahuhuli na nga iyong mastermind. Tumulong naman kayo iannounce yan sa buong mundo. Buti sana kung hindi inaksyunan. If hindi inaksyunan eh di sana I’ll stand with you here. Pero inaksyunan nila. Kaya iyan ang apila ko. We are a free media," Zubiri said at a press briefing late Monday evening. 

(I appeal to the media, help us make the image of the Philippines more beautiful. Like with the Percy Lapid case, the shooter has been caught and the mastermind will soon be caught. Why don't you help us announce that to the world? If no action was taken I'll stand with you there, but they acted on it. That's why this is my appeal; we are a free media.)

Full Story: https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2022/11/08/2222338/zubiri-lashes-out-vs-chilling-effect-media-urges-media-help-beautify-image-ph

philstar.png
-- © Copyright Philstar 2022-11-08