laptop hinge issue

BananaBandit

I've attached a few pix

If someone can describe this issue more precisely than my subject line, I'm all ears.

From what I can tell, this matter has made no impact on my laptop's "brains."  But it's now impossible to fold my laptop, shove it into my backpack, and escape my wife for a few days. 

I also fear that, at some point in the near future, the wire connecting body to monitor will sever, thus rendering the laptop unusable. 

I suspect some of you could resolve this issue with a few common tools and a 50-baht trip to Mr. DIY.

But I'm useless at fixing things. 

Could I reasonably expect to go to an IT center and find someone to rectify this issue for less than 1,000 Baht, same-day service?

In case it makes a difference, my laptop is a Windows 7 Lenovo.  I love my Lenovo.  I just want to fix her hinge.

lap 1.jpg

lap 2.jpg

1 hour ago, BananaBandit said:

In case it makes a difference, my laptop is a Windows 7 Lenovo.

Avoid such inflammatory statements that invite smug self-congratulations and sneers from our schoolmarms on the cutting edge of high tech. Scrolling over the noise merely delays any possible solution.

Here's a google for you: https://www.google.com/search?gl=us&hl=en&q=repair+hinge+on+laptop

Occasionally a good general purpose repair shop w/ emphasis on electronics will take on a custom project like this w/o the proper parts. I assume you're OK w/ a rather crude look. I had a couple bolts slightly sticking out for years holding on the shield of an old helmet. Somebody stole it anyway from the Lotus parking lot.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, simon43 said:

I recently had the same problem!  Although I haven't fixed it, like me you should be able to fold that hinge flat so that you can carefully close the laptop using the remaining hinge.

Well, in a way that sounds comforting, as it suggests the connecting wire next to the hinge is durable.  

I still hesitate to mess with the hinge.

Have you tried a Panasonic Repair Centre? I've taken all sorts of things electrical and electronic (all makes of course). Once they told me the fix was simply a clip on a pipe that needed pushing back on. They didn't charge for that and they wouldn't accept a tip either. 

On 11/9/2022 at 9:33 PM, The Fugitive said:

Have you tried a Panasonic Repair Centre? I've taken all sorts of things electrical and electronic (all makes of course). Once they told me the fix was simply a clip on a pipe that needed pushing back on. They didn't charge for that and they wouldn't accept a tip either. 

Sounds excellent, but it seems all these venues are in or right near Bangkok.

I wish I'd posted about this matter a week ago. I was briefly in BKK for the first time in years.  Would gladly have made a visit to Panasonic.