Laser eye surgery or Lense replacement?

jack71

I was recently diagnosed with narrow angle on both eyes. Dr said the risk of doing nothing is 'angle closure glaucoma' 5 to 8% risk. 

Dr said I could do laser which makes a hole to bypass fluid and widen the angle. Near 30k baht

Or I could do Lense replacement surgery. Low risks of complication. Only severe infection can cause issues but rare. This surgery would widen the angle and improve vision. 

What do you think I should do? If you have done either please report below. 

thanks

21 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Lens  replacement does not cure glaucoma, if you have been told that, then move on to a consultant who knows what he is talking about.

Indeed it does not and I wonder if  OP misunderstood what the doctor told him.

OP the surgical choices are:

- iridotomy (small hole made with a laser)

- iridectomy which is surgical removal of part of the iris. Nothing to do with the lens.

Iiridotomy and iridectomy have similar success rates https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8751104/

Most people prefer iridotomy as it leaves the iris intact

Ypu should inded get another opinion if only to ensure better communication. Where in Thailand are you?

• Like 2

I know nothing about it so I googled and found this web site:    angle closure glaucoma

It might give your more information on which to make your decision on how to proceed.

And if you google it, you will find other sites like Web.MD addressing it.  You can not have too much information before risking your eyesight with any  action.

• Like 2