Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ASEAN NOW

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Any reason to keep a U.S. driver's license?

Featured Replies

I have no plans to return to the US. My Virginia license expires next month, and I'm considering letting it expire. Are there any problems with banking, Social Security, IRS, ID(dot)me, etc.? Looking for personal experience.

  • Popular Post

Mine expired several years ago. I haven't needed a state ID for anything. I do return to the US to visit and the passport works fine as ID for anything you need.

  • Popular Post

Yes.

To prevent "issues" when you get pulled over in America and you whip out your Thai drivers license. Remember most police don't have much education beyond high school they've probably never heard of it or they think it's in Africa and they call ICE to beat the living <deleted> out of you. 😄

  • Popular Post
8 hours ago, Galong said:

I have no plans to return to the US. My Virginia license expires next month, and I'm considering letting it expire. Are there any problems with banking, Social Security, IRS, ID(dot)me, etc.? Looking for personal experience.

Sometimes, you need a valid US driver’s license to verify your identity to banks or to the Social Security Administration or other government website. Supposedly, a passport will work for the same purpose, but I’ve found that to be problematic. Long story, but if I had remembered, I would have renewed my US driver’s license before I left in 2022. Now if I go back for any reason, I won’t be able to rent a car at the airport. I’ll have to take an Uber to the license branch and so on. Maybe if I had a Thai driver’s license?

9 hours ago, Galong said:

I have no plans to return to the US. My Virginia license expires next month, and I'm considering letting it expire. Are there any problems with banking, Social Security, IRS, ID(dot)me, etc.? Looking for personal experience.

  1. Verify yourself with the laws of the state you intend to drive in with a Thai license. Do not rely upon any AI app as your only source of information. Unlike other countries some state laws in the US can be vastly different in terms of motor vehicle operations and registration.

  2. Most states allow one to drive with a. foreign license as long as the vital information is printed in English.

  3. Some states put limitation on the amount of time one can drive with a foreign license. It could be a month or it could be up to 6 months.

  4. Technically one has to be a visitor to the US and resident of the country on the foreign license. Might need to show a foreign address? Might not.

  5. Banks and the TSA will not accept a foreign drivers license.

One simple method would be to contact Hertz, Enterprise or any major auto rental company and ask if one can drive with a foreign license. Many will simply say yes but some might recommend one bring an IDP just in case.

There is no single law in the US that governs this subject. Of course if one does not intend to drive then there is no need to maintain a US drivers license.

Everybody does things differently. Me, I've kept my DL current complete with my Class A endorsement even though I know I'll never drive truck again if I can help it. Maybe next time I'll try using my Thai DL at SFO car rental just for fun. There are times when I needed to withdraw money from a US bank in person and my ATM card was expired. My US DL was needed.

My next license is due when I'm 71 and I'll need to do an in person renewal. Whatever it takes I"ll do to keep my driving privilege in the US.

I gave up my driver’s license but this year I renewed my Hawai’i State I.D. with the gold star. Two banks here in Pattaya ask for identification from my country and they didn’t want a passport (Krungthai and Bangkok bank). They said a retirement visa is an extension of stay you’re not a citizen of Thailand and they wanted an ID that showed an address where I live. Someone told me that KrungSri bank asked him the same thing when he wanted to open an account. The banks are getting stricter.

  • Author
4 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Yes.

To prevent "issues" when you get pulled over in America and you whip out your Thai drivers license. Remember most police don't have much education beyond high school they've probably never heard of it or they think it's in Africa and they call ICE to beat the living <deleted> out of you. 😄

I assumed driving would be an issue. I don't plan on visiting the US again, but if I do, I'll get an international license.

  • Author
2 hours ago, jas007 said:

Sometimes, you need a valid US driver’s license to verify your identity to banks or to the Social Security Administration or other government website. Supposedly, a passport will work for the same purpose, but I’ve found that to be problematic. Long story, but if I had remembered, I would have renewed my US driver’s license before I left in 2022. Now if I go back for any reason, I won’t be able to rent a car at the airport. I’ll have to take an Uber to the license branch and so on. Maybe if I had a Thai driver’s license?

Everything I've read says a passport is sufficient for ID. Both Gemini and ChatGPT gave me links to the gov sites that say the same thing. ID(dot)me doesn't require a driver's license to register. I've had an account with them for quite a while... recall what I used to register, but they specifically have options for people living overseas that doesn't require a driver's license. I've also got a, Thai work permit, a Pink Thai ID card and two Thai driver's licenses.

Edited by Galong

I have not driven in my country of birth for 9 years but recently got a 4 year extension because I will not return anymore after 4 years.The more ID you carry the better because I believe many members of the police force have no more than a grade 8 education and will call for backup and things may get rather nasty.

4 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Yes.

To prevent "issues" when you get pulled over in America and you whip out your Thai drivers license. Remember most police don't have much education beyond high school they've probably never heard of it or they think it's in Africa and they call ICE to beat the living <deleted> out of you. 😄

fake news ,, ICE is not beating anyone..

and

According to national law enforcement data compiled by groups like the National Policing Institute (formerly National Police Foundation), about 51.8% of officers hold a 2-year associate degree, 30.2% hold a 4-year bachelor's degree, and 5.4% have a graduate degree. [1, 2]

  • Author
1 hour ago, kawikasudo said:

I gave up my driver’s license but this year I renewed my Hawai’i State I.D. with the gold star. Two banks here in Pattaya ask for identification from my country and they didn’t want a passport (Krungthai and Bangkok bank). They said a retirement visa is an extension of stay you’re not a citizen of Thailand and they wanted an ID that showed an address where I live. Someone told me that KrungSri bank asked him the same thing when he wanted to open an account. The banks are getting stricter.

Hmm, I have accounts at both of those banks and never got asked for anything other than my passport. I have my original US birth certificate... that doesn't have a photo. If it did, it wouldn't look like me.😊

21 minutes ago, Galong said:

Hmm, I have accounts at both of those banks and never got asked for anything other than my passport. I have my original US birth certificate... that doesn't have a photo. If it did, it wouldn't look like me.😊

Which doesn't mean you won't be asked for a home country photo ID at the same branch of the same bank by the same clerk sometime in the future to open an additional account.

If you can renew your US license without too much hassle, what's the downside?

12 hours ago, Galong said:

I have no plans to return to the US. My Virginia license expires next month, and I'm considering letting it expire. Are there any problems with banking, Social Security, IRS, ID(dot)me, etc.? Looking for personal experience.

As the Commonwealth of Kentucky required my picking up my renewed Driver's License in person, my license lapsed several years ago. I own no property in Kentucky so, no reason to be concerned. Voter Registration remains current (Absentee Ballot just deposited at US Consulate, Chiang Mai). I have my recognized Thai License when I rent a car ... no problem. Last visit 2023, no plan to revisit USA until after the current administration is sent packing.

5 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Yes.

To prevent "issues" when you get pulled over in America and you whip out your Thai drivers license. Remember most police don't have much education beyond high school they've probably never heard of it or they think it's in Africa and they call ICE to beat the living <deleted> out of you. 😄

2023 USA visit, accident when turning bus hit me. Florida ... Patrolman came, filled out accident report for insurance filing. Thai Driver's License, car rental agreement, registration ... no problems.l

Unlike other countries some state laws in the US can be vastly different in terms of motor vehicle operations and registration.

Boy, what you doing with this Thigh land card here? Where are we?

25963-what-we-have-here-is-failure-to-communicate.jpg

Vah-gina?

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:
  1. Verify yourself with the laws of the state you intend to drive in with a Thai license. Do not rely upon any AI app as your only source of information. Unlike other countries some state laws in the US can be vastly different in terms of motor vehicle operations and registration.

  2. Most states allow one to drive with a. foreign license as long as the vital information is printed in English.

  3. Some states put limitation on the amount of time one can drive with a foreign license. It could be a month or it could be up to 6 months.

  4. Technically one has to be a visitor to the US and resident of the country on the foreign license. Might need to show a foreign address? Might not.

  5. Banks and the TSA will not accept a foreign drivers license.

One simple method would be to contact Hertz, Enterprise or any major auto rental company and ask if one can drive with a foreign license. Many will simply say yes but some might recommend one bring an IDP just in case.

There is no single law in the US that governs this subject. Of course if one does not intend to drive then there is no need to maintain a US drivers license.

2023, month long trip to USA with monthlong car rental. Picked up Atlanta Airport, return at Washington-Baltimore Airport. Six states & DC ... no issues.

26 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

If you can renew your US license without too much hassle, what's the downside?

Exactly - why burn bridges if you don't have to? These pages are filled with people who broke their ties to their home country and then have lots of problems trying to re-establish them when needed down the road.

56 minutes ago, Galong said:

Everything I've read says a passport is sufficient for ID.

That's true, but I've found that many things online now are easily done with a US license (which I don't have), but are a lot more difficult and time-consuming with a passport - they have automated systems to deal with state licenses, but not with passports or passport cards.

12 hours ago, Galong said:

I have no plans to return to the US. My Virginia license expires next month, and I'm considering letting it expire. Are there any problems with banking, Social Security, IRS, ID(dot)me, etc.? Looking for personal experience.

Some US government websites ask for identity check by ID/DL (no passport) online when you need to open accounts. If I recall it correctly one was “ID me” when I opened my account with from Thailand. keep your ID/DL if you still have a U.S. address and if get lucky and send a new one in mail. I opened my Kbank account by my US DL and PP less than a year ago.

Edited by OneManShow

  • Author
3 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

If you can renew your US license without too much hassle, what's the downside?


This is the 8-year cycle where I have to show up 'in person' to renew it. It can't be done online.

Besides that, I have no plans to ever visit the US. My mom is 92, in a home, and won't be around much longer. There is no other reason to go back.

8 hours ago, jas007 said:

Now if I go back for any reason, I won’t be able to rent a car at the airport.

With a Thai driver's license and VISA credit card no problem.

One solution for someone not planning to return but one never know?

If you still have a Thai license there are alternatived otherwise public transportation.

Although 75 I still have one for 2 more years home once a year I prefer to take public transportation one accident rental or not it causes headaches.

Passport should do otherwise but if one does go home can obtain a Driver license ID just can't drive.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 3

  • Ms Tigger
  • EVENKEEL
  • thailand49

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.