Road users advised to avoid Patong Hill Road during rush hours

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

Patong, Phuket – Road users are being advised to avoid using the Patong Hill Road during rush hour.

The Kathu Municipality official told the Phuket Express that road users are being advised to avoid the Patong Hill Road on both lanes during the rush hours from 7:00 A.M. to 10:00 A.M..

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/11/11/road-users-advised-to-avoid-patong-hill-road-during-rush-hours/

The-Phuket-Express-Logo-Small-300x121.png
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2022-11-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hervey Bay said:

I've read a few reports about crashes o this hill. Can someone please tell me what is so dangerous about it ?

You have never been there?

For example trying to get up the hill in 5th gear, it's only one example.

Edited by Peterphuket
  • Like 1

Crashes? Crashes?

Remember the almost weekly bus and truck crashes?

Even put the concrete barrier at the last corner into Patong to catch the buses.

Heavy vehicle drivers who didn't understand changing down gears to brake and then riding the brakes all the way down the hill till they faded.

Been much better over the last few years but that could be just lack of tourists.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hervey Bay said:

I've read a few reports about crashes o this hill. Can someone please tell me what is so dangerous about it ?

There was a big landslide a couple of weeks ago that washed away half of the road so I guess that's affecting the traffic flow in both directions.

12 hours ago, Hervey Bay said:

Patong Hill is an inherently dangerous stretch of road - off-camber hairpin bends, a polished surface with dreadful levels of grip even in the dry, and poor road markings/lane separation. I am nervous riding it whatever the conditions.

The poor driving and vehicle condition are secondary to that - the vast majority of riders and drivers are ultra-cautious on that road.