Electricity prices again to go up in January?

Dario

I just read in the Bangkok Post an article which states that electricity prices will go up again in January around 14%. Prices increased about 20% already on OCT 1. That would be a compund increase of 36.8%! Is there anyone who knows more about this?

• Like 1

Yes, expect the worst:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/service-fees-for-household-and-small-business-electricity-use-to-be-cut-jan-apr/

The "cut" is a funny distraction. Some xx Baht/month in service fee reduction. What a joke compared to the massive Ft rise planned.

Exploding LNG prices are behind.

Europe particularly Germany buys for about every price after the Russian supply is dead and done.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The "cut" is a funny distraction. Some xx Baht/month in service fee reduction. What a joke compared to the massive Ft rise planned.

Yep I suspect 20 to 60% increase (60% in the last scenario where the Ft rise to 2.2 THB per unit)

• Like 1

The FT ( Fuel Tax ) portion of your Electricity Bill will rise during Jan - April.

As yet it has not been announces exactly by how much these increases will be. It all has to do with how fast the EGAT want to claw back the money they have lost subsidizing the Electricity thus far during the rises in Gas prices

3 different scenarios have been tabled to reclaim this money - some 120 Billion thus far.

The first is to have it repaid by consumers in the first 12 Months, and will see the FT raise to 224.98 Satang per unit which will take the cost for 1 unit to 6.03 Baht

The second option is for the repayment to take 2 Years and the FT will rise to 191.64 Satang per unit and the cost of 1 unit will rise to 5.70 Baht per unit

Thirdly the Unit cost will rise to 5.37 Baht per Unit ( NO FT given but a rough guess would be about 155 Baht per Unit )

Source = Thai PBS News 

The current FT value stands at 0.9343 Baht per unit

It must also be remembered that VAT of 7 % is also added to these values in the end cost to the Consumer, and rough estimates are saying about 30 - 40 % increase

That will be between 65 % and 75 % increase since Year start.

Kiss the Export Market farewell.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm surprised the increases have been so low to date

And you even got a discount (not negative though) if you use less then a certain amount, but unfortunately that will definitely change. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm surprised the increases have been so low to date

Yes indeed.

Looking back at my past PEA bills i can see that I was paying about 4.55 per unit back in Oct12, this for using 1,151 units. With the recent increase, my last bill, Oct22, averaged at 5.53 on a usage of 1,014 units. So, an increase over 10 years of around 22%. Not too shabby.

In that time the rates have varied, for me, from 4.87 in Jul14 to 4.14 in Nov16. 

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

The sun's rate is still the same ... Y'all need to change vendors ????

image.png.063c3ec78a8800dc7d9644655d5981f3.png

I'm renting but I'll get my condo administration right on it. I'm sure they and all the co-owners will be more than happy to install solar panels for us. Those little things can power 200 apartments, right? ????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I'm renting but I'll get my condo administration right on it. I'm sure they and all the co-owners will be more than happy to install solar panels for us. Those little things can power 200 apartments, right? ????

#71 ????

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But I get a discount of 0.92bht/unit as a low consumer (under 150 units).

This is how the current discount system is set. (Please note, this discount will stop in Dec 2022)

fttable.JPG.9572f5c1be8e026cd38032bf4c270184.JPG

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

But I get a discount of 0.92bht/unit as a low consumer (under 150 units).

If it goes up next year I'll buy another panel or two, and start winding the meter back again.

I take it you don't use aircon. How do you handle the heat, just grin and bear it until you become acclimatised?

Edit: I missed the 'other panel' reference on first read. Carry on ????

Edited by Lemsta69

• 2 months later...

My January bill just arrived, and the FT (Fuel Tax) rate is 1.5492 per unit, an increase of approximately 66% from the previous rate of 0.9343. Overall my bill is up about 13% from last month; an average of 6.11 Bht/Kwh compared to 5.42 Bht/Kwh previously, we use on average around 750Kwh per month.

My Wife has a small business renting out Apartments to Factory Workers.

The bill she received mid January showed that the FT rate  had increased in DECEEMBER from 

0.9343 Baht per unit Baht per Unit to 1.5492 baht per Unit

A rise of 0.6149 Baht Per Unit - a very large increase of about 62 % PLUS Vat has to be added to this which takes the rise to nearly 70 %

This came as somewhat of a shock, as the FT rate rise on Electricity was supposed to be suspended until April

58 minutes ago, Stocky said:

My January bill just arrived, and the FT (Fuel Tax) rate is 1.5492 per unit, an increase of approximately 66% from the previous rate of 0.9343. Overall my bill is up about 13% from last month; an average of 6.11 Bht/Kwh compared to 5.42 Bht/Kwh previously, we use on average around 750Kwh per month.

We use about 650 Kw  per month. We are the ones who pay for the poorer people who pay absolutelynothing, although they do consume electricity.. In my wife's parents house they never had to pay one satang ever since they built a new home about 30 years ago.

15 minutes ago, Dario said:

We use about 650 Kw  per month. We are the ones who pay for the poorer people who pay absolutelynothing, although they do consume electricity.. In my wife's parents house they never had to pay one satang ever since they built a new home about 30 years ago.

They only get free Electricity if they use LESS then 50 Units per months for 3 months in a row.

Have you ever tried to live on less on 50 units per month. I give you an example how much that is one light 24x7 = 12 units already, thus only 38 units remaining inclu any fans or any other lights or a water heater and rice cooker etc etc.

Rice Cooker and water heater use a lot of electric and what about Fans in the Hot Summer months.

Edited by MJCM

On 1/25/2023 at 3:46 AM, PPGuy said:

Received the PEA bill for January (23rd) a couple of days back. The FT rate remained at 0.9343, being same as that of last month.

Was expecting the increase as noted in the previous posts. Maybe next month?

Last month there would have been a line below the FT rate that showed the discount applied but this month that line would have been blank, if your bill is presented the same as mine.  It's the discount that changed (disappeared) not the FT figure itself.