New Forza 350 - Change suspensions or not?

canerandagio

Hi everyone.

I am about to buy a new Forza, the 2023 model.

I remember that my first impression of the 2019 Forza was that suspensions weren't that good, so I fitted some YSS suspesions without perceiving much difference anyway.

My question to you is: do you think it's worth changing suspensions on my new bike? Will it make a difference?
And if yes, which suspension brand or model would you recommend?

I am not interested in anything sophisticated that needs particular adjustments, just want a good feeling when on bumpy roads in Bangkok.

Thanks in advance. 

They may have improved the suspension, so probably best to find out when you get the bike. Forza riders still seem to replace them though even on the later models.

Interesting how you didn't notice much difference last time you replaced with YSS. I have stuck with the original suspension on my Forza 300.

• Like 1

From all the feedbacks and reviews I read, it's only worth it if you use the bike a lot with 2 up, or you and your luggage together are on the heavy side.... 

I don't think you find much difference at say 70 or 80kg weight , the bumps on the road will still be felt, it's due to small tyres, not the shocks..., of course better shocks make it a "bit" better, just need to calculate that "bit"="cost" or use > or < signs to decide...????

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 7:41 PM, Agusts said:

From all the feedbacks and reviews I read, it's only worth it if you use the bike a lot with 2 up, or you and your luggage together are on the heavy side.... 

I don't think you find much difference at say 70 or 80kg weight , the bumps on the road will still be felt, it's due to small tyres, not the shocks..., of course better shocks make it a "bit" better, just need to calculate that "bit"="cost" or use > or < signs to decide...????

How much shocks are transmitted through to the rider is a function involving multiple inputs like:

1. The suspension type and quality

2. The suspension travel

3. How much the tire absorbs

4. Weight of the bike

5. Weight of rider compared to what the suspension was designed for

A suspension upgrade is not just worth it if you travel mostly 2 up. In that case a simple spring replacement could make sense.

The difference between a really good suspension and primitive one is massive. My Ducati Scrambler has the latter and it's really bad sometimes. On the flip side the Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory that I rode recently with the Öhlins semi-active suspension was marvelous. Wheels size does not differ much and in both cases it was me as a rider with no pillion. The Aprilia is slightly heavier, does not have all too much suspension travel (being a sporty bike). And yet there are worlds between these two when it comes to how they handle road imperfections. And the main difference here is simply the suspension. One is bottom of the barrel and one is near top of the line.

Now, coming back to the Forza: upgrading the suspension can make a noticable difference, just depends on what one upgrades to. A good suspension can be expensive. Never experienced a YSS suspension but I'm pretty sure they have a wide variety of quality as well.

• Love It 2

Rear suspension performance and ride quality on a Forza is never going to be that good.

On a conventional motorcycle the engine and transmission are sprung mass whereas on a Forza the engine and transmission are also the swing arm.  Given that the Forza is a 350 that is a big heavy lump of metal moving up and down every time the suspension moves which presents the dampers and springs with a much greater challenge than a conventional motorcycle. 

• Love It 2

Can someone tell me where the battery is located on the new Forza 350, always fit a 12v charger on all bikes I get yes I know the Forza has a phone charger, I fit a 12v charger same as on a car to run a small air compresser.

Thanks

Edited by Badrabbit

On 12/2/2022 at 7:53 PM, In the jungle said:

Rear suspension performance and ride quality on a Forza is never going to be that good.

On a conventional motorcycle the engine and transmission are sprung mass whereas on a Forza the engine and transmission are also the swing arm.  Given that the Forza is a 350 that is a big heavy lump of metal moving up and down every time the suspension moves which presents the dampers and springs with a much greater challenge than a conventional motorcycle. 

Thank you, I had come to that conclusion I'm afraid.
For anyone that reads, I still think it's an amazing scooter for both city and long distance.

The rear suspension is bloody bone-jarring in stock form! Enough damping for two big farangs! This is the absolute top complaint among Forza thai riders now. Just about everyone is into replace the rears with something else…

If one want to improve it the right way, get real Ohlins (not identical looking knock-offs). Or YSS ones. Important thing is that they are adjustable in many ways.

I am not there yet, I simpy deactivated the right shock absorber (almost no oil inside) and drive with only one functioning now for about 3000 km so far.  Only as a temporary test, but the damping from only one is absolutely sufficient for one fat farang haha. And the ride is definitely more comfortabe. 

The rear suspension height is adjustable via the spring seat, but that do nothing for the ride quality. And only about 1/2” in height. 

The stock tires seems to be on the hard side too, I will replace them if I can be sure that the replacements are softer. (And grippier) Now I run on lower pressures, both front and rear. Haven`t fully tested out how low I can go yet.