Huawei router from UK....will it work in Thailand with appropriate Sim...??

Chivas

Thread prompted by myself purely by chance after originally checking whether an old unlocked 3 Network dongle that I have used in Thailand (must be 12 years old) would still work on a laptop or if the software was too old when plugged in

To my surprise it loaded the software normally connected to the net using an old full sized Sim that I keep for emergencies.

Now in addition I have currently a 3 Network Router as per photos which I've used for last 3 years (but about to move house and not required anymore)

I tried contacting 3 network and they were prevaricating whether it was unlocked (as per the dongle) or otherwise......the Sim is the small micro version (you can see edge of it in 2nd photo) though so cant try it with the Lebara sim I put in the dongle successfully

If it is locked (fair enough) but can they be unlocked for Thailand use ??   Its works a treat at home and of course 100% portable

312181409_652393566376914_7500242725823026785_n.jpg

311992125_3248537932074240_5348236741593504771_n.jpg

Even if it could be unlocked (most likely yes because Huawei routers usually are very customizable) there is a high chance that only 3G will work because 4G networks in Thailand might be incompatible with UK router. You should check the list 4G network bands supported by that router and compare them with Thailand 4G bands.

see this

https://aseannow.com/topic/1236854-ais-vs-dtac-vs-truemove-true-h-technical-info-for-it-nerdsnolifers/?do=findComment&comment=17042991

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, fdsa said:

Even if it could be unlocked (most likely yes because Huawei routers usually are very customizable) there is a high chance that only 3G will work because 4G networks in Thailand might be incompatible with UK router. You should check the list 4G network bands supported by that router and compare them with Thailand 4G bands.

see this

https://aseannow.com/topic/1236854-ais-vs-dtac-vs-truemove-true-h-technical-info-for-it-nerdsnolifers/?do=findComment&comment=17042991

Maybe then seeing they appear cheap anyway just go in a True Dtac etc shop and pick one up

• 2 weeks later...