Row Erupts After 2 Houses Are Built On Wrong Land Plot

webfact

From the article:
"The municipality then sent him a letter saying that they halted further construction of the houses because no application had been made to build them and he faced a fine for violating regulations even though he never built them in the first place."

Yes, after Thai law-practice it seems to be the at any time present owner that is responsible, even someone else did it, so if take over an old land-plot with some existing construction, make sure it's legal (I talk from experience)...:whistling:

Pay the fines, put up a fence/ wall. Lock it up and finish the build .  File some kind of trespass judgment against the builder and the woman who wanted this plot of land over the one she actually bought. My guess she did this as she felt entitled to it.  I would also put a 10 million baht price on it . Up to them to buy or not. But at least you tried to resolve the problem they created.  

18 hours ago, khunPer said:

From the article:
"The municipality then sent him a letter saying that they halted further construction of the houses because no application had been made to build them and he faced a fine for violating regulations even though he never built them in the first place."

Yes, after Thai law-practice it seems to be the at any time present owner that is responsible, even someone else did it, so if take over an old land-plot with some existing construction, make sure it's legal (I talk from experience)...:whistling:

Reminds me of what happen to a farmer I worked for in Oregon. One day he was in the Bureau of Land Management and while looking at a map, he saw there was a 50' by 200' strip right in the middle of his hay field that was given to the railroads more than 100 years ago. He sent in a letter asking if he could buy it. The reply was "No, and if you continue to use it, you will be billed for the use." It is now fenced off.

Locally the house being built on the wrong lot has happen here also. It was a subdivision and the lot numbers were on  a post on the right side of the lot when facing from the road. The builder thought the lot was on the right side of the post.  The owner of the lot was a nice guy and they just traded lots.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just how did the landowner never know houses were being built on his land?  Interesting to hear that one day the houses just popped up and the owner of the land had never been told by anyone of the goings on.....

That is why there are still squatter's rights in the US.  You can't just buy a piece of land and never go look at it. You can still overtly live on a piece of land and claim title to it after a number of years.

8 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

That is why there are still squatter's rights in the US.  You can't just buy a piece of land and never go look at it. You can still overtly live on a piece of land and claim title to it after a number of years.

Yes, as a family member of mine did in an old abandoned school in Oregon, where they converted the lunch room and kitchen into a 4 bedroom home.  The gym was used by their kids for sporting activities... lol.