U.S. Embassy Bangkok - passport renewal - pay return postage electronically? Can you do it?

I have filled out the form to mail in my U.S. passport and paid the $130 USD fee online.  From what I read, you can not send a postage paid envelope to have your old and new passport returned.  It is only 100 baht.  It is asking for a bank draft to be sent along with the other information.  Does anyone know if this fee can also be paid electronically?  It seems ridiculous that you can pay the passport renewal fee elecronically but have to go through the effort of getting a bank draft for only 100 baht.  More work and cost to get the draft than the 100 baht fee and it would seem to be cumbersome for the embassy as well. 

You can only pay in USD on the online payment system.

The embassy wants the postage to be paid in baht due the fact they have to pay for it in baht.

Not that difficult to get a draft at most banks. My wife did it for me and then mailed the envelope I had addressed already. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The embassy wants the postage to be paid in baht due the fact they have to pay for it in baht.

Not that difficult to get a draft at most banks. My wife did it for me and then mailed the envelope I had addressed already.

Thanks, I knew it had to be paid in baht.  It just would seem a lot more efficient if they gave you the same option of making a payment into their account in baht and then submitting the receipt.  But then again we are talking about the government.  The rest of the world will be doing tap and go payments and they will still be requesting checks. 

• 3 weeks later...

Did you use pay.gov?

Can you describe that account creation process?

Did you use this link? https://www.pay.gov/public/form/start/42156675

So the net-net is that you still need to include a local Thai bank draft for 100 THB when you mail in your renewal? And if you get a passport card do you include a draft for 200 THB, or two separate drafts for 100 THB each?

Edited by bamnutsak

15 hours ago, andy said:

Did you use pay.gov?

Yes I ended up paying the $130 USD online.  I contacted the embassy by email and Ubon Joe also said, no they accept only the bank draft in baht.  So, I ended up going to SCB and getting a bank draft for 100 baht.  Cost was about 35 baht.  It wasn't the cost, it was the nuisance of having to go to the bank, wait in line, fill out the mindless amounts of paperwork, show my passport etc. to purchase the 100 baht draft.  You would "think" it would be easier for the embassy to establish a bank account and allow you to transfer baht electronically and mail a copy of the payment to them, just like you do the copy of the $130.  But then again we are talking about government.  If it was a private run business, they would have a QR code for you to scan and pay.  

On 12/14/2022 at 12:43 PM, Longwood50 said:

Yes I ended up paying the $130 USD online.  I contacted the embassy by email and Ubon Joe also said, no they accept only the bank draft in baht.  So, I ended up going to SCB and getting a bank draft for 100 baht.  Cost was about 35 baht.  It wasn't the cost, it was the nuisance of having to go to the bank, wait in line, fill out the mindless amounts of paperwork, show my passport etc. to purchase the 100 baht draft.  You would "think" it would be easier for the embassy to establish a bank account and allow you to transfer baht electronically and mail a copy of the payment to them, just like you do the copy of the $130.  But then again we are talking about government.  If it was a private run business, they would have a QR code for you to scan and pay.  

It’s a minor inconvenience.

In all other respects your passport renewal will be dealt with efficiently and swiftly.

Ask British expats how the private business system they have to use works out for them.

The US Passport renewal process is a breeze.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thumbs Up 1