Recommendation for a Android Smart Phone Salesperson who speaks fluent English

connda

I want to talk with a highly knowledgeable Android-based Smart Phone salesman who can speak fluent English, ie, I need them to understand the phone, the underlying Android OS, the phone's specifications, and it's ability to be rooted.   I've worked with enough Thai sales staff who can talk in broken English and don't display much understanding of the phones they sell past the common User Interfaces.  Finding a sale staff who is technically proficient and fluent is as rare as hen's teeth, but they are out there if you can find them.  I'm just trying to find one.

So can someone make a recommendation for a shop and a specific sale's staff member who fits those qualifications in Chiang Mai or Lamphun where I live, however here in Lamphun the 'broken English' variety are pretty much all I can find.    Because my eye-sight and fine-motor skills are lacking, and because I don't want another phone that I can't force to upgrade if need be, I want to have an understandable conversation with the Smart Phone sales staff who can knowledgeable answer my questions.  And although my my eye-sight and fine-motor skills are lacking, I don't want any expensive, bulky, large-screen Adroid phone.  I don't use a Smart Phone enough to warrant the extra expense.

If you know Android Smart Phone sales staff like this, please let me know.  I would sincerely appreciate it.  Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Simply research the phone, and buy from manufacturer or authorized reseller.

Do you really need someone to explain the specs of something, a phone of all things, that you are buying ?  Not that I'd trust any salesperson anyway.   Just Google the specs you don't understand.

Prioritize what you are buying it for, and for me, it's the camera #1, replaceable battery #2, then chipset/processor/memory.  Storage not a biggie, as I don't keep much on it.  All gets moved to laptop, if important.

I think I got 3 photos on my phone, and only because used for lock & home screen.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

In the last 6 years I have bought 3 Samsung Phones in Chiang Mai and have never encountered a knowledgeable salesperson who speaks passable English.  I conducted hours of research and examined the various models on my own.  Then I bought the one I liked.  

The last time I spoke to a qualified Samsung Phone salesperson was at a Best Buy in California.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bolt said:

you are expecting to find a "highly knowledgeable Android-based Smart Phone salesman who can speak fluent English"

i would recommend going to a fluent English speaking country to find this 

Even in a Fluent English speaking country op is unlikely to find anyone that can answer the op questions rooting of phones is a specialized requirement and not a requirment required by the majority of customers 

The question you could ask but you wouldn't get an answer to which phone provides the store with the largest markup or are there any phones where the manfacturer has provided incentivized offers to the shop

Op should check out XDA for which phones can be router important to get right model number

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

rooting is not an encouraged behavior. 

Brought to you by all the fone manufacturers.

Rooting is not hard. Gets rid of all the bloatware stuck on fones.

Disable tracking every little thing you do.

The high-end Samsung phones (and no doubt many others), such as the S20, have a huge range of accessibility features to improve the visual, hearing or touch experience. Take a look at Accessibility under Settings.

There are also lots of Apps to download to assist you. 

And then there are many devices you can attach to improve your experience. 

You need to very precisely specify your physical limitations and then anyone with a high skillset for smartphones (i.e. anyone under 50 years old) can set your phone up properly for you. 

You will not believe how many features there are to assist you. 

8 hours ago, connda said:

Because my eye-sight and fine-motor skills are lacking, and because I don't want another phone that I can't force to upgrade if need be

Because your eye-sight and fine-motor skills are lacking, you should just have a nice long nap and then buy another phone that you can just replace if you can't force an upgrade when you imagine you "need" an upgrade.

a highly knowledgeable Android-based Smart Phone salesman who can speak fluent English, ie, I need them to understand the phone, the underlying Android OS, the phone's specifications, and it's ability to be rooted. 

That's not in the job description of salesmen. Your problem, not theirs. Don't bug the salesmen and be a PITA farang. Google for info about the OS, specs, and rooting, it's all out there, m'lord, no need for spoon-feeding.

I don't want any expensive, bulky, large-screen Adroid phone.  I don't use a Smart Phone enough to warrant the extra expense.

Yah, yah. Google for smaller phones, see if they're available in Thailand, check on Lazada or a nearby shop, then Google for how to root the phone of choice and any other of your "technical" questions. Surf the technical forums that mention the phone or similar models, and ask the gurus there if you don't find the answer. Sorted.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, seedy said:

Brought to you by all the fone manufacturers.

Rooting is not hard. Gets rid of all the bloatware stuck on fones.

Disable tracking every little thing you do.

Looking to a guy who flogs phones for a living for advice on rooting is futile.

Yes or no? 

OP, rooting a phone voids its warranty, no sales staff selling new phones are going to advise on rooting a phone. There is a reason manufactures eventually don't allow phones to upgrade to the next android version, they know the hardware isn't compatible, doesn't meet minimum specs etc.

Phone sales people dont know the inner workings of the operating system, no more than car sales people know the inner workings of a car engine.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

There is a reason manufactures eventually don't allow phones to upgrade to the next android version

Yes, and that reason is mostly money. The big companies like Samsung and LG stop upgrading phones to newer versions of Android long before the reasons you mentioned become an issue. It would simply cost them too much to prepare upgrade packages for the gazillion phone models that they pump out.

On 11/23/2022 at 1:43 PM, KhunLA said:

Simply research the phone, and buy from manufacturer or authorized reseller.

Sorry Peter said what I was just saying about rooting and warranty.

Edited by KannikaP

3 hours ago, orang37 said:

"to understand the phone, the underlying Android OS, the phone's specifications, and it's ability to be rooted."

Hi, There are loads of video tutorials on-line that can "orient" you re Android OS, also, reviews and more for any specific name brand/ model number "smart" phone.

"my eye-sight and fine-motor skills are lacking, I don't want any expensive, bulky, large-screen Adroid phone.  I don't use a Smart Phone enough to warrant the extra expense."

Then, why a "smart" phone ?  Get a "simple" phone with no internet or camera with a large display and big buttons.

good luck, !o:37;

Good idea. With my eye-sight and fine-motor skills are lacking may well have been accompanied by cognitive decline, as is usual.

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Yes, and that reason is mostly money. The big companies like Samsung and LG stop upgrading phones to newer versions of Android long before the reasons you mentioned become an issue. It would simply cost them too much to prepare upgrade packages for the gazillion phone models that they pump out.

True Dat ...

Wife was given a Samsung Galaxy S9 by her boss recently - reason, Samsung no longer offering upgrades.

Now has the newest version of android - so the BS about 'hardware' just don't fly.

Greed - pure and simple. Buy a new fone is the underlying reason.

Just one of many.

https://www.reliancedigital.in/solutionbox/how-to-run-a-new-android-os-on-your-dated-android-smartphone/

Edited by seedy

On 11/24/2022 at 3:32 PM, Peterw42 said:

OP, rooting a phone voids its warranty, no sales staff selling new phones are going to advise on rooting a phone.

For a phone that is about $100.  Why would I care about a warranty.  I've spent that much money in a couple of hours on Loi Kroh.  Never got a warranty for those services.  ????

Anyway, I found a Samsung A04S that I think will fit the bill.  Under $100 or slightly over $100 if I get the 64GB upgrade.  Now me being totally ignorant of these thing, I don't know if this is "locked" with a specific carrier or "unlocked."  If it's "locked", I've no problems taking the steps to "unlock" it for my own SIM card carrier.   I think mine is True, but the wife does all the smartphone carrier stuff based on whatever discounts she can get.  If it's locked to a contractual carrier - pfft - then I'll need to know how to root it asap. 
For those who know, it this about 'unlocking the boot-loader' or is that something different?
Yes, I am ignorant and no it's not a problem.  It just means I need to learn.

Anyway, my Thai was not good enough for the sales person in the Lamphun store where I saw the phone.  I'll have to drag the wife along to do translation.  With the memory upgrade to 64 GB it's about  $105 USD at today's exchange rate.  If I brick it?  C'est la vie.  Hopefully it's unlocked.  From the reading I was doing it seems the phone sellers in the USA are the one's who are "locking crazy."  I got my first dumbphone in the US in the early 2000s.  I was always dismayed at why I couldn't just buy the phone at any store.  Nope.  You needed to buy it at the carrier's special store with their special contracts, and wait in special long line because they never had sufficient floor help, blah blah blah.

What do I want?  Just to slap the SIM into the new phone, get rid of as much bloatware and spyware as possible, and put the few apps I actually use on the phone.  Or even better, flash it with a ROM that is a bloat-free as possible.  So it looks like I found the phone.  From here I gonna need suggestion and links on how to set it up to function the way I want it to.
Actualy now that I'm reading specs, it seems the A04 run on a "special" OS version of Andriod - Android 12, One UI Core 4.  Man, I detest "Special."  So my first task now is to figure out how to flash the phone with a non-"Special" ROM. 

Any suggestions are welcome.  I just want a light-weight, bloat-free OS as possible. Just just poked around in the internet and there seems to be a bunch of Custom ROMs for the A04.  If anyway has a suggestion for a special ROM, let me know.  This is sorta like picking a version of Linux.  Due to the phone being rather underpowered, a good light-weigh Custom ROM may be the best approach.  Something known and used by others as getting rid of bloat and spyware is a primary goal imho.

Edited by connda
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, connda said:

For a phone that is about $100.  Why would I care about a warranty.  I've spent that much money in a couple of hours on Loi Kroh.  Never got a warranty for those services.  ????

Anyway, I found a Samsung A04S that I think will fit the bill.  Under $100 or slightly over $100 if I get the 64GB upgrade.  Now me being totally ignorant of these thing, I don't know if this is "locked" with a specific carrier or "unlocked."  If it's "locked", I've no problems taking the steps to "unlock" it for my own SIM card carrier.   I think mine is True, but the wife does all the smartphone carrier stuff based on whatever discounts she can get.  If it's locked to a contractual carrier - pfft - then I'll need to know how to root it asap. 
For those who know, it this about 'unlocking the boot-loader' or is that something different?
Yes, I am ignorant and no it's not a problem.  It just means I need to learn.

Anyway, my Thai was not good enough for the sales person in the Lamphun store where I saw the phone.  I'll have to drag the wife along to do translation.  With the memory upgrade to 64 GB it's about  $105 USD at today's exchange rate.  If I brick it?  C'est la vie.  Hopefully it's unlocked.  From the reading I was doing it seems the phone sellers in the USA are the one's who are "locking crazy."  I got my first dumbphone in the US in the early 2000s.  I was always dismayed at why I couldn't just buy the phone at any store.  Nope.  You needed to buy it at the carrier's special store with their special contracts, and wait in special long line because they never had sufficient floor help, blah blah blah.

What do I want?  Just to slap the SIM into the new phone, get rid of as much bloatware and spyware as possible, and put the few apps I actually use on the phone.  Or even better, flash it with a ROM that is a bloat-free as possible.  So it looks like I found the phone.  From here I gonna need suggestion and links on how to set it up to function the way I want it to.
Actualy now that I'm reading specs, it seems the A04 run on a "special" OS version of Andriod - Android 12, One UI Core 4.  Man, I detest "Special."  So my first task now is to figure out how to flash the phone with a non-"Special" ROM. 

Any suggestions are welcome.  I just want a light-weight, bloat-free OS as possible.

Isn't it wonderful to be able to take care of yourself?

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Isn't it wonderful to be able to take care of yourself?

I know.  I've been doing that since my wife went through menopause. 
"Psst!  He's talking about phones connda!"
Dohhh!  Oh!  Yes.  Of course.  Custom ROM ('read only memory, NOT Romance Outside of Marriage, or Raunchy On Manual).  :smile:

While we are on the subject, any suggestions for well-known links regarding diddling your Smartphone in a ROM sort of way.  <wink wink>  Now that I've picked a phone I have a target to read about.  :thumbsup:

On 11/23/2022 at 12:17 AM, bolt said:

you are expecting to find a "highly knowledgeable Android-based Smart Phone salesman who can speak fluent English"

i would recommend going to a fluent English speaking country to find this 

Never encountered such a sales person in the USA. I doubt there are people are like that in the entire World. These type of people don't sell phones. They can make millions doing Tik Tok and YouTube.

Edited by Onerak

• 2 weeks later...