Thai government offers 60 billion baht in savings bonds to the public

snoop1130

40466455-2979-472F-8AFA-90EF2ED0F851.jpeg

The Public Debt Management Office at the Finance Ministry will offer 60 billion baht in government savings bonds for public subscription, starting on December 7th.

Deputy government spokesperson Rachada Dhnadirek said that the “Sukjai Hai Om” (Happy Saver) bonds will be available with a 3-year maturity period, which carry a fixed interest rate of 3% per annum payable every three months,and with a 7-year maturity period, which carry a 3% interest rate, also payable every three months.

The public can subscribe through either the “Sor Bor Mor Wallet” app, where 15 billion baht in bonds are available, orthrough Krung Thai, Bangkok, Kasikorn and Siam Commercial banks. The total amount of bonds available through the banks are worth 45 billion baht.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-government-offers-60-billion-baht-in-savings-bonds-to-the-public/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-11-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

7 years is a long time to keep your money locked up @ 3%  when rates

are on the up,  I thought the Government had plenty of money, foreign

exchange down in the vaults , maybe someone been down to check !

regards worgeordie

Or perhaps the coffers are getting lower getting the baht to where the Watchman wants it

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Can't you just sell/trade the bonds, like one does with other government or corporate bonds?

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

2.3% 3 years 3% 7 years 2.9% 10 years 

received_842064847059437.jpeg

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Bought my house in 1992 for £26,000, now valued at about £360,000 - money should go into property if you can, not a 3% investment bond rate, that will be losing money if inflation runs higher. If they made it inflation per year +3% then it might be attractive , rather than a money loser

Presume that was in the UK. (also values rise in countries like NZ, Aussie, USA etc),

But sadly 99% of house prices in Thailand do not rise in value like that. Most of the time a person is lucky to sell for a small profit, as the older a house gets here, the more it deteriorates due to weather, humidity etc, and every few years they need a really good spruce up (which costs). But in some cases the land value will of course rise.

The other problem is that Thailand has valuations on land/houses for tax purposes, but no set valuations for buying/selling, meaning its really up to a seller and buyer to determine a price that's amenable to both.

Other posters will come along with their own experiences/stories, so they will be useful also.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

2.3% 3 years..3% 7 years 2.9% 10 years

Even at those rates inflation is going to eat into your capital ,

Cash is no longer King , it's become a liability , better spend it .....

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

2 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Presume that was in the UK. (also values rise in countries like NZ, Aussie, USA etc),

But sadly 99% of house prices in Thailand do not rise in value like that. Most of the time a person is lucky to sell for a small profit, as the older a house gets here, the more it deteriorates due to weather, humidity etc, and every few years they need a really good spruce up (which costs). But in some cases the land value will of course rise.

A house in the Chok Chai I am in start at about 2 million baht max . The rent is a minimum 10-11,000 baht a month. I make that an income of about 5% per year. It is NOT just about the house going up in value, its about the income you get on it also. If your house goes up say 3% a year, you are getting now near 8% per year with the rent on top. It's not about SELL profit, more about SELL and MAKE USE profit.

My house in UK , say goes up about £10,000 a year (3% ish), but my rent on top is about £12,000 on top.  So my asset alone is technically gaining £22,000 a year  - far more than bank or government 3%

As for depreciation - I have an agreement with my own tenant that he pays 80% to my bank and 20% on doing the house up. So far he has put in new bathroom, put in a landscaped garden (its his job), Decking, taken a small bit of wood wall out to open a room up, new drainage, new facia - over the next 3 years he is replacing outside wall and putting in new kitchen. Once again it is about using your noddle to get in the right person, take a small hit and have NO depreciation on the house ????

People in my opinion sometimes are just lazy to think properly about finance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Even at those rates inflation is going to eat into your capital ,

Cash is no longer King , it's become a liability , better spend it .....

regards worgeordie

yes true but it's better than being in a box or a low%  normal account ..it's knowing where to put it or spend it ..the bride would go with buying land I suppose 

I ought gold before ..like an idiot sold it just at the wrong time ..got my money back but lost out big time with its current value ..now far to expensive to buy 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Bought my house in 1992 for £26,000, now valued at about £360,000 - money should go into property if you can, not a 3% investment bond rate, that will be losing money if inflation runs higher. If they made it inflation per year +3% then it might be attractive , rather than a money loser

Totally, totally agree.  The smartest thing I ever did was to scrape together the money to buy my first condo years ago.  Finally got out of the rent trap--throwing money out the window to the landlord every month.  After that it was no looking back.  Never lost money on any of the properties--here or in the US--and home ownership has been lots of fun.  Usual disclaimer--nothing wrong with renting, especially in Thailand, if that's your preference.

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

If your house goes up say 3% a year, you are getting now near 8% per year with the rent on top. It's not about SELL profit, more about SELL and MAKE USE profit.

Does the value really go up at 3% or is it just inflation? Just that in my experience these villages, while looking good when new, slowly get scruffier and scruffier and less desirable and prices would slide along with it. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mikebell said:

Would Thai Immigration accept an 800,00 bond for a visa/extension of stay?

If things get bad enough , but I would not count on it.  Thai philosophy is " do we cheat them and how".  

And Thailand is one of the best economies in SE Asia.

On 11/26/2022 at 6:54 AM, jacko45k said:

Get the 3 year one then, same interest rate. Should come with an Elite Visa....

Actually that is not a bad idea. Baby boomers are not looking for huge market gains at this stage of life. Just a safe haven for their money. Especially if they want to live in Thailand this would make a huge difference. 

Will it ever happen?  When pigs fly!

21 hours ago, mikebell said:

Would Thai Immigration accept an 800,00 bond for a visa/extension of stay?

Would be nice if possible, but I doubt it.

It's not money in account available without deduction any time.

You can't get a bank letter as is usual.