Thai national travelling back to Thailand with dual passports

Hi guys and gals,

Apologies if this has been asked before (I'm sure it has but I can't find a relevant thread).

My Thai wife who resides in the UK with me holds valid British and Thai passports and we plan to visit Thailand next year.

When booking flights (Thai Airways), which of my wife's passport details should we provide the airline with and then subsequently check in with?

I understand that she has to enter the Kingdom on her Thai passport (unless she wants to be subject to visa rules) but just want to make sure that prior to arrival at Suvarnabhumi we know exactly which passport she needs to be showing at every stage of the journey.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information elsewhere on the net on this topic, so I'm hoping some knowledgable individuals here can settle the matter.

Thanks in advance

My Thai wife and I returned last week.

Come out on British passport.

In Thailand enter on Thai passport. ( if you use British you'll need to adhere to visa rules )

And visa-versa - exit on Thai, enter on British

BTW - you should be able to go through the Thai channel with your wife too if there's a queue - but non last week

Edited by Pmbkk
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have dual passports too. I'd leave the country using that country passport and enter the different country using that country passport.

I'd give the airline the passport details of current country, but is that a new thing? I don't recall being asked that when I booked.

I'm pretty sure the airline only care that a person is able to enter destination country, so they don't have the hassle of taking them back if rejected. Why would they care what passport one travels on? They probably only care that she has a valid passport to enter on and has enough time left on passport ie 6 months.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that your wife should exit Britain on a British passport if she used that to enter on.

As always, the only people that really know the answer will be the airline.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

are both passports in the same name,

leave UK on Thai enter Thailand on Thai, leave Thailand on Thai enter UK on UK, use the name on the Thai passport to book tickets, may have to show Uk passport at check in in Thailand

Edited by steve187
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

In Thailand enter on Thai passport. ( if you use British you'll need to adhere to visa rules )

BTW - you should be able to go through the Thai channel with your wife too if there's a queue - but non last week

Can you please clarify which passport name you used to book flights for each journey?  My wife’s Thai passport uses her maiden Thai surname while her U.S. passport was issued in her married (my) surname.  I’m not sure how book a round trip for her….because the airline will likely not accept the Thai passport at check-in for the return flight to the U.S. if it doesn’t match the name shown in the U.S. passport used to travel to Thailand for the outbound leg. 

6 hours ago, Bananaman said:

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information elsewhere on the net on this topic, so I'm hoping some knowledgable individuals here can settle the matter.

I don't believe that the airlines ask for passports anymore, however, as others have mentioned, however if they do, best to provide them with the exiting passport, e.g. UK, it would only be for identification purposes and you would provide them with the UK passport when exiting when both countries, they are separate to immigration, so there won't be any issues, besides when exiting Thailand, they might ask for her Thai passport, easily provided.

The above said, when your wife is exiting the UK, she has to exit on the UK passport.

When she arrives at Bangkok, she has to use her Thai passport, this way there will be no visa requirements at either country.

Just make sure she has 6 months validity on both passports, although I do believe Thailand is not strict on their Citizens returning on expired Thai passports, but that is something I wouldn't want my wife to try on.

When you arrive at Bangkok, go to the Thai passports exiting section as someone else suggested, and your wife can ask if you can exit with her, we have always done this and never had a problem, besides, that is one way of beating the Que's, if any.

Good luck.

26 minutes ago, Fore Man said:

Can you please clarify which passport name you used to book flights for each journey?  My wife’s Thai passport uses her maiden Thai surname while her U.S. passport was issued in her married (my) surname.  I’m not sure how book a round trip for her….because the airline will likely not accept the Thai passport at check-in for the return flight to the U.S. if it doesn’t match the name shown in the U.S. passport used to travel to Thailand for the outbound leg. 

I have always booked our tickets using wife's married name(as in US passport) and have never had a problem. If she enters Thailand on Thai passport, she must use Thai passport to leave. Sometimes the airline will ask about US visa but just show them US passport and all is well. 

Personally have never had this issue.  All my wife's documents in thai and the US are in her thai name, so no issues with tickets or passports. 

Suggest anyone looking to marry just keep everything as it is.  Makes life that much easier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't believe that the airlines ask for passports anymore, however, as others have mentioned, however if they do, best to provide them with the exiting passport, e.g. UK, it would only be for identification purposes and you would provide them with the UK passport when exiting when both countries, they are separate to immigration, so there won't be any issues, besides when exiting Thailand, they might ask for her Thai passport, easily provided.

The above said, when your wife is exiting the UK, she has to exit on the UK passport.

When she arrives at Bangkok, she has to use her Thai passport, this way there will be no visa requirements at either country.

Just make sure she has 6 months validity on both passports, although I do believe Thailand is not strict on their Citizens returning on expired Thai passports, but that is something I wouldn't want my wife to try on.

When you arrive at Bangkok, go to the Thai passports exiting section as someone else suggested, and your wife can ask if you can exit with her, we have always done this and never had a problem, besides, that is one way of beating the Que's, if any.

Good luck.

i think you will find all airlines check passports, how else would they know you have one, and that it has 6 months validity left, and that you have permission to entry the country you are travelling too. ie visa. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are no embarcation controls when leaving the UK, which means there are no Immigration checks on departure, though the carrier will need to see her Thai passport to show that she has an absolute right to enter Thailand, without needing a return ticket, though no doubt she’ll have one.

On arrival in Thailand she should present her Thai passport.

On her return to the UK she should check in using her UK passport, this shows her carrier that she’s not subject to Immigration Controls in the UK.

When passing Thai Immigration Controls she should present her Thai Passport, as there will be no entry stamp in her UK Passport.

I’m assuming her UK and Thai passports have the same name.

• Thumbs Up 1

This might be helpful.  

When dealing with immigration always use the passport for the country you are in.

When dealing with check-in always use the passport you used when booking the ticket.  (If asked, show the other passport to show you have a right to enter the destination country as a citizen.)

2 hours ago, Fore Man said:

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Good luck.

Airlines do require passport details, even more than used to be in the past. With some airlines\destinations the system won't issue the ticket without passport details.

If the name on both passports is the same, give the airline details of the passport you'll use to enter your destination (so in op's case Thai passport for the flight here and UK passport on way back).

If different names on the passports ie maiden\married names I'd use the UK passport for the flight booking and check in and the Thai passport only at Thai immigration.

I have 2 passports with a small spelling difference of the family name (only 1 different letter). I once booked a flight using the spelling on the passport to be used at the destination. No problem at either end, but couldn't get the miles on the frequent traveler of that airline on which I'm registered with the other spelling. Ever since then I always use the spelling as on the airline's membership, yet at the web check in I provide the details of the passport to be used at the destination, so 1 passport for go and the other 1 for return. At the airport the airlines usually want to see both.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

i think you will find all airlines check passports, how else would they know you have one, and that it has 6 months validity left, and that you have permission to entry the country you are travelling too. ie visa. 

When I said check passports, I was referring to online when booking the tickets, but then again the last time I booked was back in April and can't really remember if they asked online.

Upon check-in, of course they check as you say.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

you would provide them with the UK passport when exiting when both countries, they are separate to immigration, so there won't be any issues, besides when exiting Thailand, they might ask for her Thai passport, easily provided.

IMO you have to enter and leave Thailand with same passport. If enter on Thai passport and try to leave on British passport there will be no entry stamp.

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

They always check it at departure desk. I was referring to booking the flight, and I was never required to give passport details that i remember. I always booked at airline office so might be different on line.

56 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO you have to enter and leave Thailand with same passport. If enter on Thai passport and try to leave on British passport there will be no entry stamp.

My bad, sentence didn't make sense, should have read, British passport when exiting the UK, Thai when entering and exiting Thailand.

British passport when entering the UK.

Should read what I wrote before posting, usually do, but for some reason didn't today.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

You can't exit on Thai passport to the UK. As they check if you have a visa.  You need to exit on the british passport.

1 hour ago, ThailandGuy said:

You can't exit on Thai passport to the UK. As they check if you have a visa.  You need to exit on the british passport.

You're confusing airline check in with immigration.

1. In the UK at check in show Thai passport if you don't have a return ticket. They might want to see the UK passport as well.

2. At the UK immigration you show the UK passport (although someone mentioned above there is no passport control when leaving the UK).

3. At Thailand immigration show Thai passport.

On the way back:

1. In Thailand check in show British passport. They might want to see the Thai passport as well.

2. At Thai immigration show Thai passport.

3. At UK immigration show UK passport.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2022 at 10:11 AM, ThailandGuy said:

My wife has both passports - so you can - she doesn't need a UK visa like the OPs

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2022 at 11:11 PM, ThailandGuy said:

All you have to do is show them the British passport. How can you exit on a British passport without an entry stamp?

NB Exiting immigration and checking in to the airline are two different things. The airline only wants to know that you can enter the destination country.

My luk krung son came to Thailand a couple of weeks ago.  He has both Thai and US citizenship and current valid passports for both countries as well as his current Thai ID card.  As he lives and works in the US, he just used his US passport for all instances when required to show a passport. Also used the US passport when making his airline reservations.  He is only in Thailand for a month so no visa issues.  Now if he were staying longer than 45 days then yes, he would have entered and exited Thailand on his Thai passport.  

1 hour ago, Hanuman2547 said:

My luk krung son came to Thailand a couple of weeks ago.  He has both Thai and US citizenship and current valid passports for both countries as well as his current Thai ID card.  As he lives and works in the US, he just used his US passport for all instances when required to show a passport. Also used the US passport when making his airline reservations.  He is only in Thailand for a month so no visa issues.  Now if he were staying longer than 45 days then yes, he would have entered and exited Thailand on his Thai passport.  

Not the way I would recommend anyone use their dual passports, but if indeed nothing unexpected happens then what you outline would not cause any problems.  However, it is the very essence of the "unexpected" that it tends to be not expected. ????  How someone can "know" that everything will go according to plan is beyond my imagination.  Especially when the cost of doing this the proper way is simply carrying both passports when traveling.  Also, while Thailand allows this to happen, it's important to realize that in some other countries it is not allowed.  In the USA it is against the law for a US citizen to use any other country's passport to enter the US.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 4:14 AM, skatewash said:

Not the way I would recommend anyone use their dual passports, but if indeed nothing unexpected happens then what you outline would not cause any problems.  However, it is the very essence of the "unexpected" that it tends to be not expected. ????  How someone can "know" that everything will go according to plan is beyond my imagination.  Especially when the cost of doing this the proper way is simply carrying both passports when traveling.  Also, while Thailand allows this to happen, it's important to realize that in some other countries it is not allowed.  In the USA it is against the law for a US citizen to use any other country's passport to enter the US.

Never had a problem in the 37 years he has been traveling in and out of Thailand or the US.  He used his US passport to enter the US as always and yes, he always carries both passports.  Why do you think he would use a Thai passport to enter the US?

3 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Never had a problem in the 37 years he has been traveling in and out of Thailand or the US.  He used his US passport to enter the US as always and yes, he always carries both passports.  Why do you think he would use a Thai passport to enter the US?

Just trying to understand why anyone would think it's better to enter Thailand on a US passport than on a Thai passport.  I can't think of a single reason why someone would do this, especially if as you say they have both passports with them.  Again, not something I would recommend.

1 minute ago, skatewash said:

Just trying to understand why anyone would think it's better to enter Thailand on a US passport than on a Thai passport.  I can't think of a single reason why someone would do this, especially if as you say they have both passports with them.  Again, not something I would recommend.

I didn't say it was better, it was just for convenience as he was traveling with his friends so they all went through immigration through the same line.  Plus, he wasn't staying more than 45 days.  

If you remember to present the correct passport at the immigration counter, that's fine,

only problem is at check in if the airlines check against the advance passenger information system and should you present the 'wrong' passport that didn't have the relevant visa to enter the country and the airline would refuse boarding/check in 

For coming to Thailand, where visa-exempt and visa on arrival and lax/welcoming policy this is not a problem most of the time and you can switch passport on the flight

For dual nationals exiting Thailand, using just Thai passport at check in counter could raise alarm bell that this Thai passport holder don't have the relevant visa to enter western countries, but the Thai passport is still required for the immigration counter, so for exit, show the airlines counter both, then immigration the Thai passport, and after the flight if you're still stupid enough to use the Thai passport with no visa to enter your home country, you're beyond help 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm replying generically to this.

If you have dual citizenship, ensure both passports are in the same name. Forget the Thai one being in Thai, get it in the English married name.

I work for Delta in the US and one of things that terrifies check in staff is if they check someone in and the name on the passport doesn't match the booking. Thats when the airline, and so you know the check in agent personally, are liable for fines.