Cambodian PM threatens to sell opposition HQ

geovalin

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen yesterday threatened to seize the property of opposition leader Sam Rainsy and sell the party’s headquarters if he wins a defamation case against the exiled politician. The $1mn lawsuit is the latest in a string of legal cases targeting Cambodian opposition leaders trying to break Hun Sen’s 32-year grip on power.

Rights groups say the strongman is trying to keep his opponents under pressure ahead of local elections this year and a general election in 2018. Hun Sen filed the latest defamation case against top foe Rainsy for accusing him of bribery in a speech several weeks ago. “I am waiting for the verdict to be finalised. “This time, I will take money ... I am demanding $1,000,000,” the premier said during a parliamentary session yesterday. 

“I heard the party’s headquarters is registered under the name of Sam Rainsy, so the party’s headquarters will be auctioned,” he told the assembly, adding that the politician’s personal property would also be “frozen ...and sold”.  The money would be used to build houses for handicapped people, he added.

read more https://www.gulf-times.com/story/531198/cambodian-pm-threatens-to-sell-opposition-hq

120173123188949859145.jpg.c9d95f440793713a71123fbf8d914e0a.jpg