Lao China Railroad questions

golfer1111

I'm planning to take the high speed train from Luang Prabang to Vientiane in December.

Does anyone have recent experiences on the train? Any suggestions about how to get tickets? Any do's and don'ts?

How strict is the baggage screening? I'm mainly worried about medicines like Aldactone, Caraten, and Losartan, etc.

I don't yet have experience, but hope to try it in a couple of months.

From what I hear, the official ticket offices only take Union Pay or some odd Lao banking app.  

Nothing sensible, like cash or Visa/Mastercard.

Then, in the age of computers, you have to buy tickets within 48 hours of travel.

Anyone would think it was run by communists, rather than some practical business minded people who want to provide a good service in order to earn a return on their capital.

The problem was solved by using a ticket agent.

Edited by jaizan

Thanks for the response. I think the ticket agents have been shut down by a new requirement that a person can only buy so many tickets (2?) in one day.

You need to present your photo ID (passport for most of us) at the ticket counter - the ticket you get will have your name, photo id (passport) number and train car/seat number on it. I think you are correct about the ticket offices in town only taking OnePay. I have heard the ticket office at the main stations do take cash, tickets available up to 3 days in advance.

Check with your hotel to see if they can help.

There is potentially an app for the railway.

This You Tube video shows it.

However, they don't demonstrate ticket booking.

I cannot find the app on the play store.

I don't know what's wrong with building a station as close as they can to the city centre and having a ticket office that takes cash for tickets.   That has worked for almost 200 years elsewhere.

Edited by jaizan