Booking tickets for the high speed rail from Vientiane to Luang Prabang,

jingjai9

Can anyone give me information on how to book tickets for the highspeed in rail in Laos from Vientiane to Luang Prabang?

What is the best way to book a ticket from Thailand?

Anyone have any experience to share about hiring a driver from Vientiane to Luang Prabang? One advert I read says the trip is 5 hours and 10 minutes. From what I heard the road from Vang Viemg to Luang Prabang is not well paved, hilly with many turns and dusty as well. 

I lived in Luang Prabang last year and the year before that.  A taxi/hire-car took typically 10-12 hours from Vientiane to LP in the rainy season, and not a nice journey.  In the dry season, I would guesstimate about 8 hours.

If you can take the train - take it!

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, jingjai9 said:

Can anyone give me information on how to book tickets for the highspeed in rail in Laos from Vientiane to Luang Prabang?

What is the best way to book a ticket from Thailand?

In a nutshell, you can't. I am going in January and have been looking at this for a while and as far as I can see all the agents that were selling tickets stopped since they changed the rules. Now to buy a ticket you must show your passport and your name is printed on the ticket

You have to buy at the station or official office and the demand is high so a bit risky arriving in Laos and hoping to get a ticket.

Personally I think a bus, although a bit longer, would be mor comfortable than a taxi and that is plan B if we do not get a train ticket.

I changed my plans and now going to fly direct to LB for a couple of days and then get train to Vientiane, cross the bridge and fly back from Udon Thani.

You can get some information on their facebook page.

https://web.facebook.com/LaosChinaRailway

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

According to this site you can't buy online.  You can only buy at a station two days before.

https://www.baolau.com/en/transportation/laos/trains/#:~:text=Online ticket booking is not,opens two days before departure.

Yes, that company stopped selling tickets when the tickets became named.

I think they may have been legit but there were touts buying up tickets and selling at inflated prices.

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If that's the bus journey i did in Laos,all the locals were being sick on route out the window along with spitting, constant windy roads, a journey from hell for sure

Thanks for the heads up,  plan B may have to be a flight back to BKK.

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

changed my plans and now going to fly

For reference (pre- High Speed Rail); 

When I lived in Khon Kaen Province, I drove to Nong Khai and parked in a secure car park on the Thai side. I then crossed the bridge by bus and taxi to Vientiane Airport where I boarded a local flight for Luang Prabang.  The flight time was 45 minutes and avoided the long notoriously poor road journey. To save time, I pre-arranged my Laos visa at the Laos Consulate in Khon Kaen. Thai Air Asia and Laos Airlines fly from Bangkok. There is also a flight with Laos Airlines from Chiang Mai. All these flights are direct to/from Luang Prabang.

Also for reference:

Vietnam has a Consulate in Khon Kaen as well as Laos.

• Thanks 2

There are several ways to do it without using an agent

1, go to the station youself. There is a shuttle bus to the Vientiane station. According to the current rules. If you are traveling at the same day. You can use the priority lane at the ticket office. 

2, avoid traveling at the weekend and public holiday.

3,apply a Union pay card at any Thai bank. If you can use this card to pay at the Vientiane center ground floor in the city center and Luang Prabang ticket office.

Useing an agent. There are a lot of Thai and Laos agency who can buy a ticket for you. Then you have to find a credible and reliable one. Btw. You have to provide them with the photocopy of your passports and fees which is around 100 baht

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

When I lived in Khon Kaen Province, I drove to Nong Khai and parked in a secure car park on the Thai side. I then crossed the bridge by bus and taxi to Vientiane Airport where I boarded a local flight for Luang Prabang.  The flight time was 45 minutes and avoided the long notoriously poor road journey. To save time, I pre-arranged my Laos visa at the Laos Consulate in Khon Kaen. Thai Air Asia and Laos Airlines fly from Bangkok. There is also a flight with Laos Airlines from Chiang Mai. All these flights are direct to/from Luang Prabang.

Also for reference:

I’m pretty sure that Bangkok Airways used to fly from CHX to Luang Prabang also,of course all that may have completely changed post-CONvid?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phnom Penh Trader said:

I’m pretty sure that Bangkok Airways used to fly from CHX to Luang Prabang also,of course all that may have completely changed post-CONvid?

Thank you. Bangkok Airways and Thai Smile both fly from BKK to Luang Prabang as "code share" partners conveying passengers off International flights arriving at BKK. There does not appear to be any flights with Bangkok Airways direct from CNX to LPQ.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Also for reference:

I am booked with Bankok Airways from BKK to LP, coming back with Thai Smile from UdonThani.

We are only 40  minutes from BKK so much more convenient than DM.

Plan to do the visa at the airport, only 15 minutes to the hotel and have a couple of hours before can check-in so no great hurry.

When I went across the bridge at Nong Khai a couple of years ago I pre-arranged the visa which certainly made things easier, quite chaotic there. 

• Thumbs Up 1