Growing food in CM area?

1FinickyOne

I have land and am trying to find easy to grow veggies and fruits... 

What choices do I have? We now have papaya and banana

I like strawberries, any berries, etc...

I would like to grow things in large pots or build some beds... yes, I am a beginner

What do you grow that you like?

Don't bother trying to grow any temperate vegetables. I tried it by getting seeds sent to me from a reputable seed merchant in the south of england. They germinated and grew well but none set seed. I suspect that the local pollinating insects could not recognise them.

Stick to local vegetables.

• Thanks 1

You can grow a wide range of fruit and vegies here in CNX, but you must consider the Fruit Fly, they can destroy a crop of tomatoes, mangoes and the like almost overnight.

Also, things like pumpkins, melons and the like are best grown with their fruit suspended of the ground.

I think a good investment for the home gardener is an insect proof shade house - and there's no need for chemical sprays.

In addition to what drtreelove above has said there are many shops in CNX (i.e., Rimping, HomePro, Big C etc) that also usually have a range of seedlings and seeds for sale.

In our little plot we have around 20 different fruit trees growing and about the same in herbs and vegies. Good luck and enjoy  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, islandguy said:

Some veggies, like lettuce can’t handle the hot season. Others struggle with the rainy season. So find out the best time to plant, as others have said.

Yes, we grow lettuce using hydroponic system and even this time of year the a little morning sun is harsh on the plants.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish someone would grow Swedes (turnips) and Parsnips , the imports

from Australia the prices are crazy .and where have all the leeks gone , 

plenty of those Japanese's kind , never seen any Musselburgh kind for

a while now.

regards Worgeordie 

On 12/3/2022 at 12:24 PM, drtreelove said:

Pole beans are easy and remarkably fast growing and fruiting (yard long beans, tua pak yao), basil, lemon grass, Chinese kale (ka-nah), many possibilities. What do you cook with? you can probably grow it  Go to Kamtieng plant market or Wawarot market or Home Pro and look at the seed packets on the shelves. You may see seeds available for things you like to eat that you can grow at home.  

Go to the Farming in Thailand Forum for more information and many helpful experienced growers, including some current discussions on related subjects.  The Organic subform has a wealth of pinned titles with many home garden applicable discussions. 

Maybe add:  onions, potatoes, tomatoes, tenquar, ginger, watermelons, rockmelons, and chickens for eggs ...

• Thanks 1