Buying second hand motorcycle

Martg

Am thinking of buying a secondhand motorcycle (big bike). if I purchase one outside of the province that I live, would I need to go to the local transport office to the seller or to the one local to where I live to change ownership. 

I gave my Chonburi registered old bike to someone in Yaso. So the registration had to be moved to Yaso. I was told there were two ways to do it:

1. Go to Chonburi Land Transportation office to notify them . A note will be printed in the bike book that the registration will be moved. 25B , same day. Then goto Yaso to apply for a new plate. The registration will be trasfered right away.

2. without going to Chonbori opffice first, goto Yaso office which will inform Chonburi office. Yaso office will be able to transfer the registration after the papperwaok came back from Chonburi.

Either way the bike has to be inspected at the new province.

If the seller's compulsary insurance and tax have not expired, you do not need to buy new insurance for the purpose of name transfer. . You will only need new insurance to renew the bike tax when it expires.

Make sure you get all the necessary documents from the seller.

After the trasfer you will still be using the same bike book with new info printed on it, but a new plate. The new sticker will show a new registration number but the same expiration date.

Edited by Thailand J
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just sold a couple of bikes, Im in Khon Kaen, the buyer, a a Thai in Udon.

I went to my local DLT - grabbed the forms, one (set) for each bike, completed and signed, and handed them over to the seller.

You may need a certificate of residence from the seller but I didn't bother - I copied my passport data page, visa stamp, entry stamp and told him to come back if there was any issue. He didnt come back (It is all dependent on the province to wether or not one is required)

I bought one of the bikes from Roi-Et, 7  years prior. I bought from a Westerner, but the bike was registered in his wifes name, she copied her ID card and supplied the forms, as above. You will need to take the bike to your DLT and check everything, it will cost a little more as you will need to register it in your province and get a new plate.

5 minutes ago, Martg said:

Thanks for that, my guess was you had to go to both but knowing you can do it 2 ways is very helpful 

JTS: If the seller is decent guy, there is nothing wrong with going to the sellers DLT with the bikes and getting them to help you to complete the papers, checking all the tax is up to date - getting the sellers DLT to phone ahead to your DLT to make sure everything is ready. I did this the first time, because the guy hadn't paid the tax for 2 years.

When I sold the bikes, I had just had enough of the whole process. Multiple people offering me half of the already decent price I posted online and this guy, wanting extra bits for free, pressured me into selling my second bike as a package, which I had no intention of at the start. I couldn't be bothered to be nice about it.

my fear about buying a second hand bike is that the km's may have been wound back .....

I would only buy from a westener who bought the bike new, and has taken the bike back to the dealers and had it serviced and has receipts to prove what has been done .....

As far as the bike being crashed / repaired - proceed with caution ....