Filipino man arrested in Phuket for 252 days of overstay

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

Phuket – A 55-year-old Filipino man was arrested in Kathu for 252 days of overstaying his legal visa conditions.

The Phuket Immigration office told the Phuket Express that yesterday (December 2nd) a team of Phuket Immigration officers arrested Mr. Lito Lopez, 55, a Filipino national at a room in Soi Kathu Waterfall in Kathu.

The arrest came after officers found that Mr. Lopez was overstaying following tips from concerned citizens. They continued their investigation and they found where Mr. Lopez was residing.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/12/03/filipino-man-arrested-in-phuket-for-252-days-of-overstay/

The-Phuket-Express-Logo-Small-300x121.png
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2022-12-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The arrest came after officers found that Mr. Lopez was overstaying following tips from concerned citizens. They continued their investigation and they found where Mr. Lopez was residing.

Grassed up by someone otherwise he'd still be free.

that's sad: they treat folks who are unable to renew their visas (for unfortunate reasons) as criminals. Each person I know who stays "a little bit too long" in Thailand is a nice, calm and friendly. Meanwhile "legal farangs" are often ______________<deleted>. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Many criminals are overstaying in Thailand for 5-8 years or more. This one was not lucky.

Yes indeed. When I lived up north in "country bumpkin" land, I knew one of the farang villagers was on at least 20 years overstay!! He was a well respected character and nobody grassed on him.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, NativeBob said:

that's sad: they treat folks who are unable to renew their visas (for unfortunate reasons) as criminals. Each person I know who stays "a little bit too long" in Thailand is a nice, calm and friendly. Meanwhile "legal farangs" are often ______________<deleted>. 

Compared to most countries, it's quite easy to remain legal in Thailand.

With a few exceptions, I consider people who deliberately stay off the official radar are likely to be hiding other secrets. That best mate at the bar could be hiding a bad history you wouldn't be aware of.

I've interacted with many " nice, calm and friendly" people who had committed some of the worse criminal acts possible. Most criminals appear just like everyone else most of the time.