Rabies Exposure

lingling

Not related to the previous dog threads, but the dog lovers may find this interesting.

Animal rabies and animal bites are serious public health problems in Thailand. As in the United States, reported cases of human rabies deaths are rare, but the number of rabies-exposed victims who received rabies vaccines and immunoglobulin remains high.1,2 The Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute (QSMI) operates as the principal rabies prevention clinic for the Bangkok metropolitan area. The majority of patients who attend QSMI are poor and are probably representative of those who attend public health institutions throughout Thailand and other developing countries where canine rabies is prevalent.

Children are a population group at high risk of rabies exposure and rabies. Approximately one-third of Thai children are bitten by dogs at least once by the age of 15.3 This study was conducted to delineate the epidemiology of potential rabies exposures in Thai children.

from http://www.wemjournal.org/wmsonline/?reque...4&page=0239

So what shall we do to prevent the kids from disturbing the sweet soi dogs? Lock up all children so the dogs don't have to waste their energy on biting kids?

Oh, for goodness' sake. What are you trying to prove? Read the whole study before you start relying on it.

Soi dogs? It says most attacks occurred at home or near the home. It also mentions bites by cats & rats - the other 2 making up the top 3 of bite cases.

The study is 13 years old (conducted in 1994) and the statistics of 26.7% of victims of bites being children, doesn't differ much from the 25.8% recorded in Australia in 1980.

Yes, people get bitten by dogs (& cats & rats - and my son was bitten by a monkey & had to get rabies shots). No-one is disputing that. No-one is saying it is not a problem. No-one is saying dogs matter more than children. So, what exactly is your point? Considering you said this has nothing to do with the closed threads, I'm at a loss to see your point at all.

Not related to the previous dog threads, but the dog lovers may find this interesting.
Animal rabies and animal bites are serious public health problems in Thailand. As in the United States, reported cases of human rabies deaths are rare, but the number of rabies-exposed victims who received rabies vaccines and immunoglobulin remains high.1,2 The Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute (QSMI) operates as the principal rabies prevention clinic for the Bangkok metropolitan area. The majority of patients who attend QSMI are poor and are probably representative of those who attend public health institutions throughout Thailand and other developing countries where canine rabies is prevalent.

Children are a population group at high risk of rabies exposure and rabies. Approximately one-third of Thai children are bitten by dogs at least once by the age of 15.3 This study was conducted to delineate the epidemiology of potential rabies exposures in Thai children.

from http://www.wemjournal.org/wmsonline/?reque...4&page=0239

So what shall we do to prevent the kids from disturbing the sweet soi dogs? Lock up all children so the dogs don't have to waste their energy on biting kids?

You really havn't a clue as to what you are talking about have you!

Heres a simple question for you: What is the most important thing in this life?? Answer: Life!

You section dogs out for rabbies which is a vailed point but shouldn't you be sectioning the health care system out instead for not providing jabs?

Another question: An older child in school who bullies a younger child should deserve to be punished, please rember that the younger child will have to live with this for a long time so the punishment should be harsh yes or no??? Your answer: posion them.

Mate youv'e got to wake up and get with the program or better still come to the place across the road from me and try to kill one of there dogs, a bloody mess!

Considering you said this has nothing to do with the closed threads, I'm at a loss to see your point at all.

I'm not expecting you to see my point. The day you have children of your own you will.

Others who have children will most likely understand that 33% bitten by the age of 15, >86% of them by dogs, 80% unprovoked is not a good thing.

Considering you said this has nothing to do with the closed threads, I'm at a loss to see your point at all.

I'm not expecting you to see my point. The day you have children of your own you will.

Others who have children will most likely understand that 33% bitten by the age of 15, >86% of them by dogs, 80% unprovoked is not a good thing.

May not be a good thing , but to poison them all is not a solution either .

Dingaling why don't you stop trolling and winding people up.

I would have thought 2 closed threads was enough for you to get the message.

I'm not trolling, I'm pointing out a real problem. Apparently a couple of doctors over at Chula also think this is a problem. Free rabies shots for every one is not a solution, getting rid of the source of these bites is.

May not be a good thing , but to poison them all is not a solution either .

Now you're mixing up the threads. I think the mods have already established that discussing poisoning dogs is not allowed, so please stick to the topic. This thread is about how to ensure that children don't disturb the dogs.

Since 80% of the dog bites mentioned in the study above were unprovoked, my guess is that locking up the children is the only solution. Unless of course one thinks that it is ok that children get bitten and sometimes killed by dogs.

Edited by lingling

I'm not trolling, I'm pointing out a real problem. Apparently a couple of doctors over at Chula also think this is a problem. Free rabies shots for every one is not a solution, getting rid of the source of these bites is.

Yes a very good idear, lets not forget to posion everyone who contains a diesease we could catch, very humane hugh!

Yes a very good idear, lets not forget to posion everyone who contains a diesease we could catch, very humane hugh!

The mods have already established that discussing poisoning dogs is not allowed, so please stick to the topic. This thread is about how to ensure that children don't disturb the sweet free roaming rabid dogs.

That it is a problem it clearly is . Personally I have also experienced biting by a dog , and my eldest son as well . I understand in a time like that you want to get rid of them . Although the problem lays with the local authorities lack of doing something about it . They should make a home care common , the crazy ones they should make to sleep . I do not know rather if the Thai will ever take it serious ,

albeit the APEC delegation is coming for a visit .........

The mods have already established that discussing poisoning dogs is not allowed, so please stick to the topic. This thread is about how to ensure that children don't disturb the sweet free roaming rabid dogs.

Thats what you get when the other topic just have been closed on this matter and posting directly a knew one . you should have wited if realy wanting serious considerations :o

I don't think that the topic should be closed,as it is a valid one.many of the Thai people where I live,go walking early in the morning.We do have a very large number of dogs around here.Every second person that goes on these walks carry a large stick...for the odd shitty dog.

I don't think that the topic should be closed,as it is a valid one.many of the Thai people where I live,go walking early in the morning.We do have a very large number of dogs around here.Every second person that goes on these walks carry a large stick...for the odd shitty dog.

I guarantee you that it will be closed very soon. TV mods showing their true colors.

Ok so try to teach the children a little more about it, do you honestly beleive that the the Thais see a problem with this? if so why are so many of them running around with make shift collers on them and why do they let there children play openly in the street.

Maybe you could start a new enterprise by exporting the dogs to some remote area, you could charge all the locals in the dog infested area to chip in thus making you a nice profit or you could just .... up.

Is rabies really that serious here in Thailand/ I would like more proof, please.

You'll find some more facts in this article:

http://www.soonak.com/PDF/JMATVol88_No1_120.pdf

More than 400,000 persons required rabies post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) in 2003, more than 4 times as many as those in 1991 [93,641 cases in 1991; 183,815 in 1996 and 350,535 in 2001].
However, in a survey conducted by the Bureau of National Statistics and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration in 1999, it was estimated that approximately 630,000 dogs dwell in Bangkok city (an area of 1 565 sq km). In this survey, approximately 110,000 of the dogs living in Bangkok were considered to be ownerless (stray or feral), whereas the remainder was believed to be owned or were community dogs.
In spite of a vigorous campaign to increase rabies awareness and PEP, the number of annual human rabies deaths in Bangkok rose from less than 5 between 1990-1994 to 6 -8 per annum between 1995-2001 (MOPH report).

Whether it is a problem or not is open for interpretation. Maybe it was just the karma of those who died, to get rabies.

Ok so try to teach the children a little more about it, do you honestly beleive that the the Thais see a problem with this? if so why are so many of them running around with make shift collers on them and why do they let there children play openly in the street.

Maybe you could start a new enterprise by exporting the dogs to some remote area, you could charge all the locals in the dog infested area to chip in thus making you a nice profit or you could just .... up.

I guarantee you that it will be closed very soon. TV mods showing their true colors.

Tread carefully lingling. :o

See, this is exactly what I mean. Why don't you warn those who are trying to get this thread off topic instead?

nobody is advocating poisoning dogs.Around here,if you get bitten by a dog,the first thing a Doctor will do is make you take rabbies shots.Why do you think they do this?

Tread carefully lingling. :o

See, this is exactly what I mean. Why don't you warn those who are trying to get this thread off topic instead?

No it is about discussing something about the moderators.

The tread is giving a chance .

Tread carefully lingling. :D

Bingo :o

The more important issue here is that, in my opinion, Thailand has a dog problem. In particular a lose dog problem. I have never been anywhere in the world where stray dogs, some in packs, wonder about willy-nilly and unrestricted. The mindset here is they seem to be the equivelent of a sacred cow. Where I lived in Malaysia they would shoot loose dogs. China's new one dog policy would be great here.

nobody is advocating poisoning dogs.Around here,if you get bitten by a dog,the first thing a Doctor will do is make you take rabbies shots.Why do you think they do this?

Rabbies is a very serious problem in Thailand . I do not know , but , never seen those loose dogs with crazy eyes and saliva, spittle coming from their mouths.... It is Rabbies , one bite and it will give serious complications . But the thing is what we 'farang' can do about it ? Nothing. What the Thai can do about it ! everything . What will happen next ? Nothing . What about this tread ? Never ending story.

Bingo :o

Please stick to the topic.

Ok i'll stick to the topic, your a troll! Reasons why, you had a thread closed because you broke the fourm rules and then you decided to write another thread very closley related to that thread, ok so you reworded it but its still trollish!