UPS vs Fedex vs USPS for sending documents from USA to BKK

lowp

Hi I have a few pages of legal documents that need to be sent from the US to Bangkok. Speed is not that important, but what I need is a signature at the receiving end and about 300$ insurance.

I have received Fedex items ok in the past, but they seem like double-triple the cost of UPS Worldwide Saver. Has people had good luck with UPS? ie last mile and signature - phone alert contact in BKK?

Usually tracking issues come down to  last mile concerns which I am not sure USPS offers it once it leaves the US mainland. (ie you get notice it left the US and then arrived at BKK airport - ... then nothing else)

Also I am not sure about the local delivery agent "fees" (charging a service fee aka bribe etc - basically holding your package hostage). I think DHL and others were notorious for this in the past.

That being said, USPS has never lost anything over the years. But I never needed a signature upon delivery. Have others had any experience with USPS delivery signatures?

Suggestions & advice appreciated

1. USAA Federal Savings Bank sent a replacement credit card through USPS.  Never got it. Do not know where it went

2. USAA Federal Savings Bank then sent another replacement card through FedEx.  Total cost for me and USAA(mostly paid by them) was about $40 and I paid $8.

I tracked it and it went like this.  San Antonio-Indianapolis-Anchorage-Guangzhou-BKK. This took under 3 days. Then from BKK to CNX took 2 full days.  It sounded like the Thai version of FedEx was an independent third party contractor that just carries the FedEx label.  

Good luck on you package delivery but for me no complaints about FedEx International but FedEx Thailand was disappointing.  Also, Customs Clearance at BKK took about 2 hours even though FedEx Thailand claimed "your package still in Customs" even though at the time of the call the FedEx tracking website indicated it had cleared customs 8 hours ago.  

I have never used UPS for shipments to and from Thailand.

This saga was about a month ago so it is recent.  The FedEx Thailand driver dropped the package at the apartment office.  The office staff signed for it and I did not have to pay any fees.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Like 1

The USPS tracking number will appear on Thailand Post local tracking once it has been cleared through the Postal Customs Service Division at Lak Si. I have used USPS maybe 10 times and only had one package go MIA.

FedEx will typically use local services for 'last mile' delivery anywhere beyond their 10 regional service centers. They have another 6 centers serving Bangkok so the OP should have no worries.

https://local.fedex.com/en-th

When I lived in Pattaya, they had a local office as well as their regional depot just off Highway 7 around at Pin Thong. I used to have inbound packages delivered to their Naklua office address and go collect them myself. This got around playing phone tag wit h a delivery driver. I collected one time from their Pin Thong warehouse when I found a package they had been holding for several days went uncollected (I was out of the country unexpectedly) and I had to intercept it before it went on the 'return to sender' wagon. Beyond that, a 100% success rate with FedEx inbound/outbound.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would use Fed Ex.  Seems to be more popular here.  Tracking things sent by USPS overseas sometimes gets sketchy.   I have used Fed Ex Bangkok to USA without any issues.  I wouldn’t expect it in the opposite direction 

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The USPS tracking number will appear on Thailand Post local tracking once it has been cleared through the Postal Customs Service Division at Lak Si. I have used USPS maybe 10 times and only had one package go MIA.

FedEx will typically use local services for 'last mile' delivery anywhere beyond their 10 regional service centers. They have another 6 centers serving Bangkok so the OP should have no worries.

https://local.fedex.com/en-th

When I lived in Pattaya, they had a local office as well as their regional depot just off Highway 7 around at Pin Thong. I used to have inbound packages delivered to their Naklua office address and go collect them myself. This got around playing phone tag wit h a delivery driver. I collected one time from their Pin Thong warehouse when I found a package they had been holding for several days went uncollected (I was out of the country unexpectedly) and I had to intercept it before it went on the 'return to sender' wagon. Beyond that, a 100% success rate with FedEx inbound/outbound.

The last time I looked, Fedex was going to cost around $100, so I was going to try USPS Priority Mail International ($42 and up), said to take around 10 days. It was sent instead by regular international mail and finally came a month or so later. While waiting for that and being in a hurry I tried Priority Mail Express International ($71 and up). That took just a few days, and there was tracking.

https://www.usps.com/international/priority-mail-express-international.htm#2

https://www.usps.com/international/priority-mail-international.htm

• Thanks 1

FedEx or DHL hands down. I’ve imported boatloads of gear from the US over the years and these are the only two I would trust in TH.

I could expound at length about UPS’s quality of service but the defamation laws here are a bit of a minefield.

USPS puts its last mile delivery in the hands of Thai Post which is fine, but you don’t need to be in a hurry - and the addressee will have to locate the Post Office where it arrived (not necessarily the one nearest the delivery address) and collect it in person.

I used FedEx while going through my divorce in Canada.  No issues sending or receiving.

If I am sending to a Po box use Thai post.

Not had any problems.

Ups is not a big company and Canada post is hard to track I imagine USPS would ythe same.

I recently had very important mail sent to me from the US.  My mail service provider recommended DHL and they were great. I sent mail back through them. Cheaper than Thai Post EMS and a week faster. (The EMS took 2 weeks, tracked it the whole way. My ballot was in the plastic 'envelop')