Thanks For Your Help

Thanks to those that encouraged me to go ahead and get my 60 day tourist visa rather than depending on the 30 day entry. I sent my application out Monday and got it back on Saturday with my passport stamped. The LA consulate provided some unbelievable turnaround. I'm feeling a lot more confident about this trip now.

Quick question though: I'm flying United from the US to Thailand one-way. Now that I have a visa, will the airline give me any grief about this?

You could have problems (most likely will have problems) going on a tourist visa

with a one-way ticket. If you even get on the plane, you will have troubles at the

immigration counter at Don Muang airport as well. Try to get someone to send you an on going train ticket to Malaysia or something like that. I did this once and it worked well. They looked at the train ticket in disbelief, but it was a legitimate way to do things and they let me in.

If I were you I would definitely check things out before you go to the airport.

There is *no* requirement for a return ticket with a Tourist visa in the passport. mbkudu's advise is simply wrong!

Neither the airline or Thai immigration will cause you any problems!

Have a nice trip!

Agreed George! Although the train ticket is a good way round things if you are re entering on the last entry of a tourist visa. I did it last year when i was coming back in from Penang , simply bought a ticket from Had Yai to Butterworth as proof of an onward ticket cost 100 baht..........as it was i was never asked to show it! :o

You could have problems (most likely will have problems) going on a tourist visa

with a one-way ticket. If you even get on the plane, you will have troubles at the

immigration counter at Don Muang airport as well. Try to get someone to send you an on going train ticket to Malaysia or something like that. I did this once and it worked well. They looked at the train ticket in disbelief, but it was a legitimate way to do things and they let me in.

I guess that you might call me a "newbie" as I have only been in/comng to Thailand for around 15 years and only perhaps 60++ entries to the country BUT, I have never once been asked to show an outward ticket (not at Bangkok, Chiangmai, or Phuket) in that time.

And the majority of those arrivals were on a "visa on arrival"

Perhaps it's because I look as if I might pass for someone who is not an escapee from society in some other part of the world.

That is why George, that unless it's you, the doc or someone with a basic IQ giving advice on the forum I would advise most everyone to take whatever is written regarding visas with a very big dose of salt.

Perhaps mbkudu you have just come across the extra cautionary, extra suspicious immigration officers or maybe it's just that there is something about you. :o

Well my buddy has been checked 3 times in the last year and once missed his plane (and lost the value of the ticket) as he was unable to book and arrange a travel onward ticket in the hour or so of check in time... (the other two a booking and fax for HKT to Hong Kong was made and faxed and as he does go to HK often it was not a problem)..

His current solution is to have a travel agent in Phuket write a fax stating that he has to collect his tickets at the shop in Phuket. This is not true just a fax that he has undated from a local travle agent but it has worked every time.. It shows he has an onward ticket already arranged, but does not have the dates so maybe even this would fail sometimes.

Well it is fascinating what is posted, very often absolutely wrong.

George said it very clearly and correctly:

Once you have the visa in your passport you do not need to have a confirmed outbound ticket.

Let me add, in general everybody visiting Thailand, needs to have a visa.

Where do you get such? Royal Thai embassies or consulates outside of Thailand, for some countriess' nationals only at the place of their permanent residence.

Exception: Holders of p/ports from 14 countries can get a visa on arrival for tourist's purposes. Application must be made and visa on arrival been granted before you are able to move to the immigration counter.

USA/Australia/and most Europeans are NOT among these 14 countries and cannot get a visa on arrival, however, they can get entry and permission to stay up to 30 days for tourism (only) without having a visa.

(TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION for p/port holders from 41 countries)

You might have to show sufficient funds for your stay, i.e. Baht 10,000 for singles, Baht 20,000 for families.

Once you reach the counter of the immigration police officer you will not be asked under this rule for a ticket, but you might be asked to show your money.

If you have a visa, again the immigration officer will not check for your ticket.

For those being interested in this very dry subject a few more points. Otherwise just click off.

a) What is a visa for Thailand?

A recommendation by a Member of the Thai Ministry of foreign affairs (usually Embassy or consulate) to grant entry to the person holding the visa. This 'recommendation' is to the member of the Ministry of Interior, in our case the immigration police officer facing you once you reach the counter.

.b_) Does the visa guarantee your entry?

No, the decision is with the said immigration police officer (or the superiors there)

c) If you hold a passport from on of the 41 countries allowed to enter for tourism is your entry guaranteed?

No, the decision is with the said immigration police officer (or the superiors there)

d) What else has to be don to get entry into Thailand?

Apply in writing, state your personal data, your purpose why you wish to enter, mention if you have a visa (show the number and place/date of issue) or if you have no visa show your intended length of stay. This written application is usually called Arrival/Departure card (a.k.a TM 6 form)

The immigration police officer will read this application and than decides to let you enter or not. The length of stay will be decided as well by the officer. In practise, the officer will follow the visa (I called it recommendation) and grant you a stay as per visa-form, or grant you 30 days to enter without visa, if applicable to you.

Some criteria that will influence the immigration police officer to let you in:

Plausibility and correct reasons given (In the TM 6 form) plus availability of funds if you do not have a visa.

Some criteria that might lead to denial of entry:

Doubtful reasons. Example: You have a tourist visa and state as reason 'business'.

You arrive without visa and mark as reason 'others, I want to work'. (You might wish to correct this to 'tourist'.

You do not have sufficient funds and no visa. You will be on the next plane out and the airline will be fined because they let you fly in without funds. This is the reason why the airlines (not the immigration officers) want to see tickets before you board a plane. (Yes, I know in many cases neither airline staff nor immigration police officer check this)

Last but not least: Wether you have a visa or not, you will be refused to enter if the immigration officer has a reason to refuse you. E.g. you have been declared persona non grata, before.

Back to the original question. If you have a visa in your passport, you do not need an outbound ticket. Some airline staff might see it different but you can fight this with a superior, I did it myself before.

If you have no visa, the airline might ask you to show your out bound ticket.

I guess that you might call me a "newbie" as I have only been in/comng to Thailand for around 15 years and only perhaps 60++ entries to the country BUT, I have never once been asked to show an outward ticket (not at Bangkok, Chiangmai, or Phuket) in that time.

Perhaps it's because I look as if I might pass for someone who is not an escapee from society in some other part of the world.

That is why George, that unless it's you, the doc or someone with a basic IQ giving advice on the forum I would advise most everyone to take whatever is written regarding visas with a very big dose of salt.

Perhaps mbkudu you have just come across the extra cautionary, extra suspicious immigration officers or maybe it's just that there is something about you. :o

John might have the name Good, but his advice is anything but good. All it will do is get you into strife.

John B "good"

Well yes I would label you a Newbie as far as your

knowledge of the Regulations go.

And which of the 14 "Visa on Arrival" Countries are you from?

Roger