Portugal through with 6-1 thrashing of Switzerland - Morocco eliminate Spain on penalties as last 16 concludes

webfact

image.jpeg

SPONSORED BY

HEMINGWAYS JOMTIEN

by Rooster | ASEAN NOW

The final matches in the last 16 at the World Cup concluded last night and they couldn't have been more different.

In the late game in the middle of the night Thai time Portugal thrashed Switzerland 6-1 with a hat-trick from Goncalo Ramos who replaced superstar Cristiano Ronaldo.

Earlier coach Fernando Santos had expressed his displeasure with CR7 after he made gestures when he was taken off against South Korea. 

He dropped him to the bench. With the game won Ronaldo was brought on but failed to score in the rout.

The BBC had a story with the headline that "Ronaldo (was) reduced to the role of superstar nobody wants".

Not quite true. Media reports suggest he is wanted in sports-washing Saudi Arabia where clubs are prepared to break the bank to get him.

The Sporting Life said that bets were being taken on the "next club for Ronaldo market" at 1-5 on him joining a club in Saudi. 

The Portuguese will now meet Morocco in the quarter finals.

image.jpeg

Morocco had earlier played out an entertaining 0-0 draw with Spain that went to penalties. Spain had the opportunity to win the match with the last kick of extra-time but hit the post, though the striker may have been offside.

In the penally shootout Spain also failed to score.

The BBC said their performance was a "fiasco".

image.jpeg

Morocco won the shootout 3-0 and were rewarded for a stout defensive and counter attacking display in front of a passionate crowd of mostly Moroccans. 

There is now a two day break - and I'll be glad of a decent night's sleep! - before the quarter finals on Friday and Saturday.

The games with Thai times are as follows:

Friday:

Croatia vs Brazil 10pm

Netherlands vs Argentina 2am 

Saturday:

Morocco vs Portugal 10pm

England vs France 2am

Approximate latest odds from the Betfair exchange with the caveat that football betting in Thailand is illegal:

Brazil 7-4
France 9-2
Argentina 13-2
Portugal 13-2
England 7-1
Netherlands 17-1
Croatia 54-1
Morocco 54-1

Morocco have only let in one goal all tournament yet find themselves rank outsiders.

Rooster predicted the Netherlands at the start of the tournament and I'm not deserting them now.

But of course my heart is with England.

The late night match on Saturday/Sunday will be a family affair in my household as we continue to hold our "coming home" breath for the Three Lions.

Stay tuned for more news from the 2022 World Cup. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-12-07