Long Flight pain on the right side calf

Celsius

Normally I don't usually book business class, but this time I did. It was a particularly long travel from Toronto to Hong Kong and then to Bangkok.

Even with more comfort, ever since I got back I have a pain in my right leg calf. Could this be a blood clog or deep vein thrombosis? I should say that since I was born I always had problem with my right calf.... usually I would get sudden cramps and it was always a but sensitive. I would especially notice this during a foot massage.  In any case, if things don't improve and I go see a doctor what should I ask for? Will ultrasound be enough or should I insist on MRI, which I am not to keen to do due to fasting and prep that goes with it.

Thank you in advance

edit: there is no discoloration and the leg does not seem swollen 

Edited by Celsius

Go to the hospital in case, the doctor will either rule it out or request further checks. I always fly business class because I have had thrombosis (DVT) as well as two strokes in my not too glorious medical past. Better safe than sorry.

They use ultrasound to closely check the vein running from your groin to the foot for blockage.

I've had DVT and now take warfarin on a permanent basis. My leg was completely swollen when I sought medical attention. I ended up spending several days in hospital while they injected anti-coagulants in through my abdomen. 

• Love It 1

On 12/8/2022 at 7:14 PM, rodknock said:

i wear dvt stockings, have since 2015.

where in Bangkok can i find a good doctor or place to purchase good stockings?

thank you

Lazada.:- Class II or III stockings are much cheaper than, say, the shop at the Police General Hospital. (300 baht compared to German imports at 1300 baht.) Black or beige. I often wear coloured class 2 stockings so I don't look like my grandmother!

On 12/8/2022 at 2:55 PM, Celsius said:

Will ultrasound be enough or should I insist on MRI, which I am not to keen to do due to fasting and prep that goes with it.

What fasting and prep for a leg problem?

If anyone thinks they have a DVT don't rub it as a bit of the clot may break off. Seek medical opinion ASP.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 3:32 PM, EVENKEEL said:

I only want to stress the importance of good compression socks for flights.

As stated above, go see a good doctor.

I've made many flight of long duration and never worn such, but I regularly got up and walked around the cabin to keep the blood moving in my legs. I always booked aisle seat to be able to do so.

Up to you.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've made many flight of long duration and never worn such, but I regularly got up and walked around the cabin to keep the blood moving in my legs. I always booked aisle seat to be able to do so.

Up to you.

Are you suggesting compression socks are ineffective in reducing risk of DVT on flights ? 

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Up to you.

I must be the only one who had swollen ankles after a long flight before I started wearing compression socks. I walk around often as well on flights.