Cleaning car seats to remove dog urine

connda

I transported a dog to the vet recently and it peed on the fabric/cloth back seat of the car.  I didn't catch it at first as I had the seat covered with a 'cloth' cover that is suppose to protect the seat.  That didn't work well at all.

So, I'm looking for someone who has experience is cleaning cloth seats.  I talked to one detalier in CM but he insisted he needed to keep the car overnight to "remove the seats and allow them to dry in the sun light."  They sounds like overkill to me.  It would seem that the seats need to be sprayed with a solution that will counter the urine smell and they sucked back up with a powerful wet/dry canister vac.

I'm looking for a referral for someone who has had the inside of their car detailed before and who can recommend a detailer who can do the work in a couple of hours.  The seats can dry naturally when I take it home, ie, opens the doors and leave it in the sun to dry.

4 minutes ago, connda said:

So, I'm looking for someone who has experience is cleaning cloth seats.  I talked to one detalier in CM but he insisted he needed to keep the car overnight to "remove the seats and allow them to dry in the sun light."  They sounds like overkill to me.  It would seem that the seats need to be sprayed with a solution that will counter the urine smell and they sucked back up with a powerful wet/dry canister vac.

The detailer is correct, the seats need to come out and are put through a cleansing process and then left in the sun for about 5 hours, i.e. if the sun is hot enough with winter now heading our way.

I had a couple of guys refer me to this detailer where we live and this is what he told my wife, those guys got away with it in a few hours but they don't have cloth seats, one car has leather and the other vinyl.

Will take the car to him when it heats up and it will have to be a weekend day, as for the cost, I was quoted 500 baht which is very reasonable, did yours charge or want more ? 

23 hours ago, seedy said:

Vinegar will mask most any odor - short of a dead body.

Don't ask how I know

@seedy I did some reading online and that may be the answer, at least until the hot season rolls around and I have the time to leave the car and have a full detail job inside and out.

Anyway, white vinegar and water in a 1 to 1 solution, spray it liberally on the fabric, let sit for 15 minutes, and then vacuum it up with a wet/dry canister vac.  I'll give that a shot and see how it works.  Thanks.

24 minutes ago, connda said:

@seedy I did some reading online and that may be the answer, at least until the hot season rolls around and I have the time to leave the car and have a full detail job inside and out.

Anyway, white vinegar and water in a 1 to 1 solution, spray it liberally on the fabric, let sit for 15 minutes, and then vacuum it up with a wet/dry canister vac.  I'll give that a shot and see how it works.  Thanks.

I used non diluted vinegar right from the bottle. Spray on liberally, place in sun. I massaged the seat fabric - and the foam underneath - slightly to allow it to penetrate.

Slight odor of vinegar disappears in a few days. Lot better than smelling dog urine

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, seedy said:

I used non diluted vinegar right from the bottle. Spray on liberally, place in sun. I massaged the seat fabric - and the foam underneath - slightly to allow it to penetrate.

Slight odor of vinegar disappears in a few days. Lot better than smelling dog urine

Add some salt and the car will smell like a chippy!

• Haha 1